E3 2014 thread

I think so. I prefer the Xbox interface, controller, and have built up a decent friends list (who I never play with since I hate online multiplayer), and there are a lot of Xbox games I like: Fable (even though multiplayer for the next one is dumb), Sunset Overdrive looks super fun, Project Spark has big potential, Scalebound, Phantom Dust, and I guess Crackdown could be good. Okay Crackdown will probably suck, but the other two look cool. Never had much interest in Halo, but the 4-pack could be a good way to give it a shot. Decreasing interest in Gears of War though.

On the PS4 side, I rarely dislike a Sony game and LBP3 is the one thing that could convince my wife to get a PS4 over an XBO, but a lot of their big stuff seems pretty far out and like I could wait for the inevitable Slim console. I didn't get a PS3 until 2010 and didn't feel like I missed out on anything with my 360 for the vast majority of games. PS4 seems to be the favorite, but I'm a Wii U owner, so that should tell you how much that means to me.

Again, I don't even really want a new console right now, but with Dragon Age out on October 7, I feel like I have to have one by then... even though I really don't.

It should probably come down to which exclusives you prefer in that case. I dislike Microsoft because of my experience with the 360 and don't trust them due to the DRM nonsense. Under no circumstances would I give them my custom now.

All that aside PS Plus is brilliant and I couldn't go without Uncharted 4, Last of Us sequel or any future Naughty Dog release.

• Like 1

So looking through the trailers not many games got my intrest on the "last gen" console but at least I've got these to look forward too

Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition

Far Cry 4

Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX (even though I still need to get 1.5 and the X / X-2 HD remake)

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Rogue Legacy

The Xbox One is a really good console. It has monthly updates with new features which is amazing support. Now that they're giving out games with gold and have taken apps from behind a paywall they've matched that side of XBL with PS+. Xbox Live has always been a superior online experience to PSN when it comes to actually gaming and almost never goes down for maintenance.

The PS4 has more raw power than the X1 so games tend to look better on the PS4 right now. Although MS have given devs the option to get an extra 10% boost on Dev kits this month and with DX12 next year I'd imagine that could change.

Both have plenty of exclusives and indie games so look at each lineup and decide which you like the look of more.

The PS4 has Vita support, the X1 has Smartglass. PS4 wins that matchup easily.

Kinect is better than the PS Camera if that kind of thing interests you.

The X1 supports external HDD's up to 16TB I believe, not sure what the PS4 supports.

PS4 has PS Now and the VR thing coming out. I don't think Microsoft will do any backwards compatibility although some kind of VR maybe happen at some point, if it does I hope they announce it close to release. Making the same mistake as Kinect and showing it in it's early stages of development would be terrible imo.

X1 supports 8 controllers, PS4 supports 4. Doesn't make any difference to me as I only have 2 pads and don't know of any games that make any use of that but I guess it could be good.

It's not really possible to pick a clear "better console". Plenty of PS4 owners online post wherever they can telling people how much better the PS4 is but in reality both consoles are extremely similar. Sony had a great 6 months prior to the PS4 launch (mainly due to MS fucking up but thankfully the guy who was behind that is working for Zynga now) but hasn't really done anything since. Microsoft seems really active in trying to fix the problems it created and build a console that the fans shape. They launched a website at http://feedback.xbox.com yesterday so people can submit and upvote requested features. Once features have been selected the status of them will change to "in progress" so we will be able to see what they're implementing which is a really cool.

Edited by Dan
  • Like 1

I can't see myself ever owning a Vita though, but I do have a tablet.

I know I'll end up getting both eventually, I guess I'm just trying to figure out which one I should get before the Slim redesign.

Yeah, but are they actually going to run on the old consoles or are they going to play like shit?

I believe it was built with next gen in mind, and scaled down for the last gen. So city population/sizes and such will be reduced.

I uhh.. don't think it's fair to say at all that Sony "hasn't done anything since" because they're clearly been putting a lot into the works, and have announced a good load of features moving forward.

I've kind of been won over to the PS4 side to be honest.

Maybe I was a little harsh but I meant up to this point, nothing much has really changed on the PS4 as far as I know whereas Microsoft have been giving the X1 updates every month. That's 9~ updates already. Along with the changes to XBL it feels like MS has been much more active in actually doing stuff to it's console.

Like I said I don't see a big difference with either console, both have advantages over either other but with most of the top titles being multi-plats neither is a bad choice.

Edited by Dan

I uhh.. don't think it's fair to say at all that Sony "hasn't done anything since" because they're clearly been putting a lot into the works, and have announced a good load of features moving forward.

I've kind of been won over to the PS4 side to be honest.

Because of course you have.

• Like 1

He'll sell his XB1 and get a PS4 next week. In August he'll trade in the PS4 for a Wii U with games. In November he'll decide he wants to play the Halo collection so will sell his Wii U and pick up an XB1.

And the cycle begins again...

• Like 2

Nothing really interested me yesterday outside of No Man's Sky, Abzu, and Little Big Planet 3. A few of the indie games focused on seemed pretty cool, too.

Sunset Overdrive looks interesting, but the gameplay looks quite similiar to Infamous 2. Wasn't a fan of the Uncharted Series. I can't muster myself to be interested in the Metal Gear series in 2014 - maybe they've switched up the gameplay a bit, but the story seems so dull at this point. Dead Island 2? The first one was terrible. Unless they've radically improved gameplay, I'll skip out. The word game changer is overused in the media these days - AC Unity, Call of Duty, and Far Cry 4 had some interesting changes, but ultimately it looks like more of the same.

I don't mean this to sound so negative, as the majority of the games will likely be good games that are enjoyable. I do think gaming is in a bit of a creative rut. While there are lots of great games and new IPs coming out, the conversation is dominated by the same old games. I get it - they will be successful and makes lots of money, but as a consumer, I do think things are getting a little stale.

• Like 1

I don't put too much stock into the Xbox One's monthly updates because.. well some of them have been kind of so so? Some great features like hard drive compatibility has come along, but then again they also had to add in features that really should've been there from launch - like friggin' notifications when people came online.

There's still some lacking with PS4's user interface, but it's functional to the point you'd expect.

And I already own a PS4. :shifty: