NBA 2014/15 Season Thread

Plubby

I don't actually have anything against GS guys. I just don't really care for the team and prefer the Cavs win. It's not even really that they knocked Memphis out. The Spurs knock Memphis out all the time and I never rooted for Miami over them. I just don't care for GS. Not losing sleep over it or anything, although it does make the games a little more exciting.

Edited by HeadChuck McGill

Still dumb, though. Why not have the next game on Wednesday instead of Tuesday? Both nights offer stiff competition for the targeted demos, if I recall correctly.

The only thing that networks schedule against during the summer is the season itself. Tuesday vs. Wednesday doesn't matter because it's a weekday either way and people are as likely to be sitting at home either night. Saturday vs. Sunday, especially during the summer, is a completely different story. Less people are sitting on front of their TVs on Saturday evening when the weather is nice so the number of potential viewers is down significantly. Sunday nights are ideal because people have to be in the homes getting ready for the workweek so the number of potential viewers goes back up. It's one of the reasons why Sundays are always good TV-wise.

Right but you're saying it's silly because you think there should be an extra day break in between when I'm pointing out that the only reason for any 2 day breaks is so that they don't show games on Saturdays. If that wasn't a concern then every game would be every other day. There's no basketball reason for the extra day.

Game 7 actually has a 2 day break and will be on a Friday, which I found weird since that would be one of the 2 days you wouldn't want to air something. I know they and the NHL have a gentleman's agreement to not go head-to-head so maybe that has something to do with it. I wouldn't know as I am not a big hockey follower.

Steph Curry is just ridiculous and it was a mistake for Cleveland to let him find his shot again at the end of Game 3. One of the announcers said it best yesterday "for anyone else in basketball, that's a terrible shot but not for him" for one of his crazy step back threes.

Game 7 actually has a 2 day break and will be on a Friday, which I found weird since that would be one of the 2 days you wouldn't want to air something. I know they and the NHL have a gentleman's agreement to not go head-to-head so maybe that has something to do with it. I wouldn't know as I am not a big hockey follower.

Yeah I'm not necessarily sure it's because of a gentleman's agreement so much as it is recognizing that they'd eat into each others audience. I would imagine that the NBA feels comfortable enough with the idea of losing out on some viewers because it's Friday if the alternative is losing more by going head to head with a Stanley Cup Game 7.

The interesting part of all this is just how much a sports schedule is dictated by TV scheduling. Obviously it behooves both the network and the NBA to do it so as to maximize their ad revenue but it's interesting that non-basketball reasons dictate so much.

Right but you're saying it's silly because you think there should be an extra day break in between when I'm pointing out that the only reason for any 2 day breaks is so that they don't show games on Saturdays. If that wasn't a concern then every game would be every other day. There's no basketball reason for the extra day.

And yes, I get that. I'm just saying I think they should also give two day breaks for midweek games, especially when they're travelling from one side of the country to the other. Basically the NBA should consider it a concern, since there's no reason not to.

Yeah I'm not necessarily sure it's because of a gentleman's agreement so much as it is recognizing that they'd eat into each others audience. I would imagine that the NBA feels comfortable enough with the idea of losing out on some viewers because it's Friday if the alternative is losing more by going head to head with a Stanley Cup Game 7.

The interesting part of all this is just how much a sports schedule is dictated by TV scheduling. Obviously it behooves both the network and the NBA to do it so as to maximize their ad revenue but it's interesting that non-basketball reasons dictate so much.

Don't forget the absurd 9pm start times for the east coast. Games end close to midnight, but it's the only way to start it late enough to get the west coast prime time audience. And then because most people don't have work that day they can start them at 8pm on Sunday.

Clippers traded Spencer Hawes & Matt Barnes to Charlotte for Lance Stephenson...

Decent trade imo... Interested to see how Clippers go from here as far as getting wing players...

It's a decent move for LA but they still haven't solved that terrible, terrible bench.

But Hawes has a longer contract with no value. It would have made more sense to just waive Stephenson if they wanted him off the team. They've traded a $9 million expiring for 3 years of $6 million. An expiring is always somewhat valuable and Charlotte already have a load of bigs.

Edit. You add in Barnes and even if they waive him they've generated a whopping $2 million extra space for this year whilst adding an extra $12 million for the 2 years after.

Edited by Quom

Thought Lance had 2 years left on his deal? Plus, big men aren't hard to trade and I'm sure they can hold onto Hawes for some assets.

This was also an admission of defeat in their attempts to put Lance Stephenson in as a team centerpiece. He was toxic. And now the city of Los Angeles will probably be home to the 2 most toxic PGs in the league.

What do you mean by totally nonsensical for Charlotte? Hawes is a solid big man who can shoot the 3 and spread the floor, something we DESPERATELY need. Stephenson just plain didn't work out, and getting rid of him for someone who can actually be useful and fits the gameplan? It's actually a decent trade for both sides.