NBA 2014/15 Season Thread

Plubby

Unfortunately it took LeBron and Dirk more than one shot to get that all figured out. Hell, you could argue LeBron is just now figuring it out.

Delly is a dirty little shit, but I can't help but love that a formerly irrelevant Aussie has become LeBron's no. 2.

And finally, this is an incredibly stupid headline: LeBron James the MVP of these Finals, not Stephen Curry

You're right USA Today, that's probably why there's a Finals MVP award.

Plenty of players won in their first Finals appearance. Dirk and LeBron are more exceptions to the rule than the rule. Shaq lost his first Finals, Wilt lost his first as well, Isaiah lost and then got revenge the following year, and I genuinely can't think of anyone else off the top of my head who is considered an all-time great. Maybe once Durant's career is over we throw him into this discussion.

LeBron is just playing exceptional basketball. I honestly think it's the best he's ever played, because even the '07 Cavs weren't as bad as this current one with the injuries, and he's single-handedly pulling them to a championship.

Also, Kerr needs to find out another way to the get Splash Bros hot when they're firing blanks from 3. It's so painful seeing them miss so many times because they just don't have the scoring rhythm at the time.

Single handedly? See: Dellavedova, Matthew

Honestly I don't care which team ends up winning because either way an Aussie is getting a ring (Despite being so good up until now Bogut is doing sweet FA to earn his) but putting my bias against LBJ aside for a moment my gut instinct is to pull for Delly and the Cavs.

I'd like to know though: Even if he continues to keep Curry on lock down like he is, There's no possible way he can Malcom Smith himself an MVP Trophy right?

Do they get a car or something for winning it? I could definitely see a Tom Brady-Malcolm Butler situation if that's the case but that's about it.

I don't think they're being that exaggerated. Obviously the media kinda caught on to a good story but he is a big reason why they're winning. Given how close the games have been, him diving after loose balls, ensuring another possession, all the time is incredibly valuable.

Edited by livid
  • Like 2

LeBron is just playing exceptional basketball. I honestly think it's the best he's ever played, because even the '07 Cavs weren't as bad as this current one with the injuries, and he's single-handedly pulling them to a championship.

Also, Kerr needs to find out another way to the get Splash Bros hot when they're firing blanks from 3. It's so painful seeing them miss so many times because they just don't have the scoring rhythm at the time.

Single handedly? See: Dellavedova, Matthew

Honestly I don't care which team ends up winning because either way an Aussie is getting a ring (Despite being so good up until now Bogut is doing sweet FA to earn his) but putting my bias against LBJ aside for a moment my gut instinct is to pull for Delly and the Cavs.

I'd like to know though: Even if he continues to keep Curry on lock down like he is, There's no possible way he can Malcom Smith himself an MVP Trophy right?

No, there is absolutely no way Dellavedova will be MVP. LeBron is averaging 40 points a game, that's legend territory and hasn't been done since Jordan.

• Like 3

I mean LeBron is clearly MVP regardless of who wins. He's the only offensive weapon that team even has now that Kyrie and Love are done. Delly has made some egregious mistakes on offense, but he's been on lock on defense. Being forced to keep Thompson and Mozgov out there for most of the game has been an absolute blessing, they take up so much space and have made Draymond and Bogut basically non-factors.

I personally think Cleveland have just out gameplanned GSW. It isn't on Steph, it's on the entire team to find a way to get scoring players better shots in the half-court. The isoball is allowing the Cavs to minimise possessions, give their guards a breather on offence and to all get back quick enough that GSW are nearly exclusively able to play half court sets. Likewise they're guarding the fuck out of the passing lanes, it's hard to run an effective motion offence when any pass is a dangerous pass.

I don't know that I've personally ever seen a player dominate the way LeBron is in this series. It's just fucking ridiculous. The amount of contact he's taking on a lot of drives would have most players doing a triple flip flop or be painful enough that they'd be happy to settle for hoisting up contested jumpers. It hasn't and the fact he's eating the contact and finishing at a high-ish percentage is beyond impressive, especially given the minutes he's playing.

The big question for me is if LeBron can keep it up. Even with him playing GOAT calibre games they're still close contests, if GSW can keep forcing OTs and/or take another game surely at some point LeBron becomes less effective? Even without that at some point he has to be due a Curry from night 2 where shots he's normally near certain of making just won't fall.

Who is that Marlins fan? I see him at random games all the time, including the World Series. Now he's behind the bench at the NBA Finals!?