NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread

Quom

16 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

Charlie V, our 3pt expert! At 26%

Maybe "a lot" was a bit much, but I'd say that Villanueva's been a serviceable bench guy for stretches this season, especially after almost finding himself out of the league a few years ago.

6 minutes ago, michgcs said:

Maybe "a lot" was a bit much, but I'd say that Villanueva's been a serviceable bench guy for stretches this season, especially after almost finding himself out of the league a few years ago.

Personally he's 'serviceable' purely because we don't have anyone else for his position right now. Which will probably change now that David Lee is reportedly on his way to Dallas after being cut by the Celts.

Charlie V has been absolutely atrocious this year, and he's been a waste of minutes. Carlisle gives him minutes in the hopes he starts shooting 35% or better from three, but it's just not happening. Dude's a gigantic offensive and defensive liability, and he's got no place on a playoff bound team.

40 minutes ago, Jasonmufc said:

Personally he's 'serviceable' purely because we don't have anyone else for his position right now. Which will probably change now that David Lee is reportedly on his way to Dallas after being cut by the Celts.

Charlie V has been absolutely atrocious this year, and he's been a waste of minutes. Carlisle gives him minutes in the hopes he starts shooting 35% or better from three, but it's just not happening. Dude's a gigantic offensive and defensive liability, and he's got no place on a playoff bound team.

Well I hope David Lee's got something left in the tank. I'm not a fan of Villanueva but I've enjoyed seeing how the Mavs have consistently succeeded despite virtually being written off after the DeAndre debacle last offseason. 

I'm pretty new to watching so can anyone explain to me why goal tending is illegal? Or anything offensively where an attackers hands are above the rim for that matter. Is it purely to stop people hiring 7 foot plus guys to just block all game?

4 hours ago, Chris2K said:

I'm pretty new to watching so can anyone explain to me why goal tending is illegal? Or anything offensively where an attackers hands are above the rim for that matter. Is it purely to stop people hiring 7 foot plus guys to just block all game?

This is how I've always thought about it. Without a goaltending rule you can just have giants crowd the middle and block every shot or ensure every shot goes in.

Goaltending is disturbing a shot that's on the way down and above the rim or on a trajectory towards the rim. And like you've said, this prevents it that a tall guy can camp next to the basket, and simply swat away every shot that's aimed at the basket. You can block it on it's way up, but the moment it starts going down you can't touch it until it either whiffs, or hits the rim and becomes 'loose'. 'Goaltending' gives the shooting team the points that the player would get if it went in, so either 3 or 2 points...

Same rule exists on the offense, and any offensive player touching the rim or the ball whilst it's above it will cause the shot to be called off and offensive interference to be called. For the same reason, to prevent a +7ft guy to just camp under the basket and start giving his shooters a helping hand.

The only exception to basket interference is dunking, where the dunking player is allowed to hold himself up on the rim for a short moment to ensure he can land in a safe manner. But players can get called for a technical foul (one free throw + possession) if they take too long to let go.

Other rules to prevent 'camping' are the 3 seconds in the key rule, which means that no player may stand in the painted area unengaged for more than three seconds, longer than that the play is called dead. If the call is against the offense, the defensive team gets the ball to inbound. If it's against the defense, the offense gets an open free throw (players behind the halfway line) and the ball on the side.

Finally there's the 5 second rule, which means that a player with the ball can't have his back to the basket for longer than five seconds. This is to prevent bigger players from simply holding the ball for a long time and backing his defender underneath the basket for an easy layup/dunk. This rule is often called the 'Charles Barkley rule', since Sir Charles was notorious for simply bullying his way into the paint with his back to the basket, wasting a lot of time and often giving him an unfair advantage (since the defense can try to stop him, but can't overplay him for fear of fouling him).

Edited by Jasonmufc

Isn't it the Mark Jackson rule? I also think you need to be dribbling to activate it, not just have possession with your back to the basket. They don't start counting until the guy starts dribbling and backing their opponent down.