NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread

Quom

Because he's a foreign guy. Loads of the foreign players only really like being in a big market. I have no idea since I've never been to America, but I'd probably be the same, I'd much rather live/visit NY than OKC. I think if he's going that way he should aim for LA, Rubio always seemingly plays well in the Staples Centre.

I didn't mean NY wasn't a big market, I meant more that they're an established team in a big market. I put them in the same basket as the Lakers and the Celtics, whereas teams like GSW (although that's changing super fast), Brooklyn, even Chicago don't really have that same atmosphere where it's like bandwagoning on their past success or something. Like even though NY and the Lakers suck right now the expectation is it will be for like a year or two because players flock there. I've always been a fan of small market teams that have to scrap to make it.

Golden State is like Washington where the city is pretty big but the surrounding area (each have multiple cities an hour or less away) makes for a potentially huge market. Warriors were an afterthought and the Wizards mostly are here because of lack of success. People will jump on board as soon as the team gets good, but they'll also quickly jump off due to having multiple teams both pro and college to cheer for. Smaller markets don't have that same issue because the fans are always going to be there since the team is the only one in town. It's why Blazers fans are so highly-regarded.

7 hours ago, damshow said:

Golden State is like Washington where the city is pretty big but the surrounding area (each have multiple cities an hour or less away) makes for a potentially huge market. Warriors were an afterthought and the Wizards mostly are here because of lack of success. People will jump on board as soon as the team gets good, but they'll also quickly jump off due to having multiple teams both pro and college to cheer for. Smaller markets don't have that same issue because the fans are always going to be there since the team is the only one in town. It's why Blazers fans are so highly-regarded.

Oddly enough Dallas is the exception to the rule, since they had a rabid fanbase even in the few dud years post-title win. Mavericks are one of those teams that draw a crowd regardless if they're in playoff contention or not.

Pistons and Magic make a trade. Pistons get Tobias Harris, Magic gets Ersan Illyasova and Brandon Jennings.

I approve. We are sacrificing depth, but we played most of the year without Jennings as it is, plus he was going to walk this off-season. Harris is an upgrade over Illyasova, and also younger.

I think there may be more tinkering going forward, but I really like the core of this team. Dre, KCP, Jackson, Morris, Harris, and Johnson are all young dudes...just need to get some quality depth, probably this off-season. Hopefully they can sneak into the playoffs.

It was a salary dump (they're still under the cap now and will be $8 million better off this off-season) whilst giving them a chance to use Jennings for half a season. From what I can gather they were never sold on Harris, they just extended him rather than letting him walk with the aims that if it didn't work out they'd move him. Harris was taking minutes away from Oladipo, Fournier, Hezonja and Gordon. They had a log jam of athletic guys that can play the 2/3/4.

So now they're under the cap, have Jennings in for depth, Have Ersan on a contract half of what Harris was getting (and is a 4/5 more than a 3/4) and are still likely to move Frye freeing up more money or getting a better piece.

I mean it isn't great, but turning a $16million x 4 into an expiring and $8 million for 1 1/2 seasons of guys that aren't total shit isn't really dreadful either.

Charlotte traded PJ Hairston, Brian Roberts and a 2nd round pick for cash considerations and Courtney Lee. I heard he plays good defense and shoots the 3, so it's alright. And we turned down Spencer Hawes and Al Jefferson for Dwight Howard. WHAT, WHAT

Dwight Howard is a formerly elite player with a poor attitude. I know Houston wants to get rid of him badly but what team is actually going to take him on? If you're rebuilding he's too old to build around, if you're contending you are likely looking to get stronger on the perimeter instead of the inside.

Shelvin Mack goes to Utah for a pick, which is no surprise since Teague & Schroeder have the 1 down pat.  Expected another big guy to be acquired with Splitter out of the year, but I actually dig the return of Hinrich as Korver's backup.  If Kyle goes on another cold streak, Kirk's not shabby from beyond.

Do the Hawks win the East?  Nah.  Do we reach the conference finals again?  Plausible.  I don't consider this team a step backwards, but it will be very interesting to see what Atlanta's opening day roster next year looks like.

Meh, we're playing without a 4 (KG and Bjelica are injured), we also have a pesky habit of playing up or down to our opposition. We'll get there. Plus I want Ricky to go to Utah to be re-united with Ingles.