NBA 2015-2016 Season Thread

Quom

Yeah the big difference is that with the 95-96 Bulls we didn't have access to everything like we do now. I'd have to watch Sportscenter in the morning to see if they won. It added more mystique to actually being able to watch them. With the Warriors we get a constant update on how many 3's Curry has scored or if Draymond got a triple-double. Complete with video highlights. We're bombarded with it because that's world we live in now.

With Jordan and Gretzky you also had these storylines following them around. Jordan's inability to get past Detroit. Likewise Gretzky with the Islanders. And then Gretzky's trade to LA. Jordan's retirement and then his return. The storyline with the Warriors is "a team 3-4 years ahead of the curve".

2 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Now that I really can't understand, but I'll chalk it up to different opinions.

Some people like slower-paced basketball, it's been bad for ratings historically but it's still popular with a segment of fans. 

I now get all my basketball stuff from r/nba, which is one of the best things that has happened to basketball, especially if you're a cord cutter.  Funny people, good analysis and discussion in all the game threads and all the cool plays get uploaded on streamable for easy watching.

• Like 1

I don't mind the Warriors, and I think they're fun to watch when I've happened to see their games.  Then again I also have been watching less and less NBA over the years, so I don't feel the sense of overexposure that people who follow the league daily might feel.  It's just difficult for me to get all that invested in the league when there just seems to be way less parity than any of the other three North American sports leagues.  You can rattle off most of the playoff teams with relative certainty before the season even starts, and you can then whittle down that list to only a scant few realistic contenders.

I just find it tough to care at all until the playoffs start and even at that much of it feels like a formality until you get to the Conference Finals.  In sports I love watching a season unfold and then getting to the postseason feeling like anything can happen.  You don't get that feeling as much in basketball because it's extremely difficult to get genuine upsets in a 7 game series.  I know a lot of purists like that about the league but for my tastes it just doesn't interest me much.  Even when the Knicks were in the playoffs a few years back I couldn't bring myself to be that interested in it because I didn't see any way they could win a title.  In the NHL on the other hand you can be the 8th seed and have true hope of winning.

Shame too, because I actually quite like the game of basketball itself.

8 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

KD going to the Warriors would have them do away with one of their current top 3 guys, which probably means Mr. Triple-Double Draymond Green was going somewhere else in a trade to open up cap space... And that would be a completely stupid move to move arguably the most versatile player in the league to a different team

This is not true, they can keep Green, Thompson and Curry and still add Durant. The main guys who would have to go are Barnes, Bogut & Iguodala.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-the-warriors-can-afford-to-sign-kevin-durant-043710075.html

Yeah I'm a big fan of the relative lack of parity. Though last year the Warriors were a complete surprise as were the Mavs a few years earlier. But it happens rarely, we usually know who the teams to watch are going in. It's why so many people wait until after the Super Bowl to start caring about the NBA. But there's something unique about having 4-6 months of buildup to finally see two teams meet in the Conference Finals or NBA Finals. It does make only a few regular season games must-see though, but it's a change of pace from the other major sports leagues.

I watch the Golden State big games, I really love their Pick n Roll play but just a few too many threes. Curry is epic and I hope they get close or even beat the record. But just so many threes. And I'm just praying they won't demolish the Thunder. I'm really damn looking forward to Curry vs. Westbrook. 

Also, another close game, great block followed by a Durant 3!

Speaking of threes...at the start of the game last night, Curry was 21st all time in made 3 pointers in a season.  At the end of the quarter, 12 minutes later, he was 14th.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Maxx said:

Speaking of threes...at the start of the game last night, Curry was 21st all time in made 3 pointers.  At the end of the quarter, 12 minutes later, he was 14th.

Yeah! I wonder where he will end. 

18 minutes ago, Meacon said:

I'll never get the "too many threes" argument. But that could be that I grew sick and tired of the dunkfest that was the NBA for years and years through high school and early adulthood.

I rather see some great post up moves! I like those. Mixed up with some dunks, threes etc.

I think Steph Curry will completely Stockton the 3pt record when he's done. Unless he has some freak accident that prevents him from shooting threes, he's just gonna continue being as effective he is and even if he slows down he'll be a lethal spot-up shooter.

When he's done, the record will be so far ahead of the rest, I don't see anyone else breaking it.

3 hours ago, Meacon said:

I'll never get the "too many threes" argument. But that could be that I grew sick and tired of the dunkfest that was the NBA for years and years through high school and early adulthood.

I'm so with you, in comparison to isos and feeding the post I'll take the threes any day of the week, especially when it's attached to beautiful movement. Plus it isn't like the option used to be scoring at the rim, teams (besides Minnesota :@) have just exchanged the mid-range/long two for the 3 which in turn has opened up the court. 

As far as trade rumours: Bucks are apparently shopping MCW and Monroe and Pistons and Nets are discussing a Brandon Jennings for Thad Young trade.

Also Ginobli is out for a month after emergency testicle surgery after copping a knee to the nutsack on a Ryan Anderson post up.

15 minutes ago, Lars Mulder said:

That's what you get when you punch your friend/colleague. They're seriously contemplating whether or not to move him to avoid a PR disaster, and perhaps find a player that might fit better in a title run, seeing the current roster hasn't been successful at all in going for titles.

Just now, Meacon said:

Last I checked, they were actually doing better with him out of the line-up. I'm not sure what they could possibly expect to get back from Denver in return to make it balanced, but I don't think it's too insane of an idea.

Well, they did play better when he wasn't with the team, so yeah, it's been a toss up whether his awesome stats are crazy inflated, or if he's truly a boon to the team.

The fact is, DeAndre Jordan is such a drizzlingly bad shooter, that he camps near the basket, which means Blake is forced to move out wide and become a shooter, which he's good at, but it's a very weird fit. Also, his close shots are at an all time low (.293 attempts from 0-3ft), and he's a below 40% shooter from mid-range and three, which means he's not an efficient shooter.

I don't see him going to Denver, because I can't see any of the Nuggets players being a fair replacement, other than crazy trades like Gallo + Faried/Jokic/Barton which would do the Nuggets zero favors in their rebuild.

8 hours ago, Jasonmufc said:

That's what you get when you punch your friend/colleague. They're seriously contemplating whether or not to move him to avoid a PR disaster, and perhaps find a player that might fit better in a title run, seeing the current roster hasn't been successful at all in going for titles.

I don't think the punch has that much to do with it. The photos of Griffin's hand after surgery shows him wearing a hoodie belonging to the fashion line of the guy he hit (which he and DJ bankrolled the establishment of). If a PR disaster is coming it's going to hit wherever he is. I can actually see it being smoother if he's buddy-buddy and hanging out with the guy whose face he decided needed a smacking.