2016 NFL Off Season Thread

Dan

Holy shit that is a terrible contract.  This is the kind of thing I was worried would happen to Jacksonville.  Just because they have the cap space to give out that kind of deal doesn't mean they should.  Dan, I hope for your sake that's the only overpay move they make.

Speaking of terrible deals Raiders are rumored to break the bank for Kelechi Osemele, 5 years/60 million. When you have a good amount of cap space, conventional wisdom is that you use it on a lot of good players and not a couple big ones. Osemele will move to LT for the Raiders, a position he's played a whole 4 games in his entire career. He's also missed multiple games in all but his rookie season. I really like Osemele and wanted him to stay a Raven, but not for that much money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

Holy shit that is a terrible contract.  This is the kind of thing I was worried would happen to Jacksonville.  Just because they have the cap space to give out that kind of deal doesn't mean they should.  Dan, I hope for your sake that's the only overpay move they make.

Denver offered him $13m a year, it's not that bad. People overreact to big contracts like they did when we paid Julius last year. One year later and the Colts are paying Dwayne Allen almost the same as Julius is getting. We'll be adding Bruce Irvin ($10m a year) and Olivier Vernon (probably a big contract too) tomorrow most likely, then picking Ramsey or Myles Jack in the draft. With Fowler back that'll overhaul our defense.

Edited by Dan

Its more the guaranteed money.  Its just a contract that he's not likely to live up to.  Teams make moves like this all the time and it really doesn't do anything to help them.  The Jags have assembled a great offense, I don't want to see them flood their defense with bad contracts.

I trust Caldwell and Idzik to know what they're doing as far as contracts going. We still have more cap than everyone else in the league even after paying Jackson (which is insane) and we have the least dead money in the league ($32k which is pretty much nothing). Idzik isn't a good GM but he's been a very good money manager for the Jags.

2 hours ago, Lineker said:

@Dan so that Bruce Irvin guy has just rolled up in Oakland...

Charles Johnson has agreed to return to Carolina for half as much money as he could have earned with the Giants or the Buccs.

@DMN they signed him

Jaguars sign punter Brad Nortman to a 4-year deal.  Only noteworthy because Nortman came into the league the same year as Bryan Anger, a punter who the Jaguars had drafted in the 3rd round and who is now a free agent.

Only the Jaguars could invest a high round pick in a position like punter and manage to not even draft a good one.

• Like 1