2016 NFL Off Season Thread

Dan

NFL Network's Albert Breer reports Josh Norman's deal with the Redskins is really for two years, $36.5 million.

Those two years are fully guaranteed, but the Redskins have what amounts to options for the other three years. Another $13.5 million becomes fully guaranteed in March of 2018. Norman will already be 30 by then, and corners have not traditionally aged gracefully. It is still a nice chunk of change for Norman, but, as always, the originally reported numbers were heavily inflated.

Perhaps it's not as bad as it originally seemed.

Edited by munky

If they only have to deal with him for 2 years then that's a pretty smart deal. I'm very skeptical he'll come anywhere close to last year's form. DBs age poorly, he's already almost 30, and he's had one elite year.

I can't blame Washington for going all-in either, they won the division last year and have a very uncertain future at QB. Might as well do everything you can to win this year, and if Cousins is the real deal move guys around to sign him long-term next year. If not, well, you have no QB anyway so having bad contracts isn't really the end of the world.

With the QBs in the draft I like most of these guys on already established teams. Put a mediocre QB on a bad team and you get nothing, put a mediocre QB on a team with a great defense, line, and head coach and you can squeak out 10-6 or 11-5. The QB won't have his confidence destroyed and you can slowly build him up. 15 years ago a team did this with some guy named Tom Brady and it apparently paid off.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2016 at 06:54, Meacon said:

To the guy that was asking about all the quarterbacks going early, it's simply because this is a quarterback league and teams are hoping they find their Cam Newtown/Russell Wilson/Tom Brady.

Only one of whom was a first round pick. Unless you're getting your pick of guys, which means being number one, I honestly feel you're better off looking for a guy on the second day. Look at guys like Wilson, Derek Carr, or, provided he does it again, Kirk Cousins, all second day picks, all good young QBs. You get better value, and hurt your team less if you don't hit. 

Saw this pointed out today: Last year the Rams and Eagles traded QBs, and this year they both traded a boatload of picks to move up and take different QBs.

Saw a blip on the Giants' Facebook page that today marks 12 years since the 2004 NFL Draft when they traded for Eli.  Hard to believe.

The NFL posted a 5 minute video which included a whole bunch of behind the scenes footage/interviews from the days leading up to the draft.  I can only assume that it's a teaser for a proper documentary that will be done on that draft someday, maybe once Manning, Rivers, and Roethlisberger all retire.  The 2004 first round QBs have nothing on the 1983 ones but it's not like a class with three first round QBs that end up having great careers happens all that often.

• Admin

The US Court of Appeal has reinstated Tom Brady's four-game ban.

The U.S. Court of Appeals handed down a decision on Monday morning that will reinstate the suspension of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady for his connection to deflated footballs used in the AFC Championship Game back in 2015.

Brady's four-game suspension was nullified by U.S. District Judge Richard Berman back in September, just a week before the Patriots' first game.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell talked about the personal importance of this appeal during his annual address at the Super Bowl back in February. His comments seemed to foreshadow Monday's ruling, which puts New England in a difficult position as they approach the NFL Draft. The team already lost a first-round pick due to the deflated football incident.

The Patriots open the season against the Cardinals, Dolphins, Texans, and the Bills.

"This is not an individual player issue, this is about the rights that we negotiated in our collective bargaining agreement," Goodell said at the time. "We think they're very clear. We think they're important to the league going forward and we disagree with the district judge decision. We are appealing that -- which is part of the legal process -- I am not focused on that right now.

In a 33-page decision, the second circuit court's decision can be boiled down to the following statement:

"We hold that the commissioner properly exercised his broad discretion under the collective bargaining agreement and that his procedural rulings were properly grounded in that agreement and did not deprive Brady of fundamental fairness. Accordingly, we reverse the judgement of the district court and remand with instructions to confirm the award.

And Patriots fans are now debating whether or not the Supreme Court would hear this case.  Fuck off forever, I hope he retires.

• Like 5