2016 NFL Off Season Thread

Dan

10 minutes ago, Boss Srar said:

I never know how valid rumors are but I saw one that said if the Bears can draft Lynch then we would be trading Cutler and a 7th rounder to the Jets for their pick which I think is 20 or so and Geno Smith.

This actually sounds pretty good to me. Is it ridiculous? Could it happen? Should I even want it to happen?

I doubt they could realistically take on his contract without making another move or adding another player somehow. They really backed themselves in a corner by going on a spending spree last year and now they're a 'win now' team without a QB - which means they won't win now.

The Josh Norman sweepstakes is gonna be crazy. He's already 28, you probably get an elite corner for 2 or 3 years tops. Carolina freed up a ton of cap space from this to make some deals as well with the draft and closer to training camp. Jacksonville, San Fran, and Chicago feel like the logical landing spots but a dark horse bad franchise that just overpays could be looming. The Browns made one smart decision this week, time to balance it out?

Well it looks like Bosa will be back in play for the Cowboys out of necessity, as Demarcus Lawrence is supposedly joining Randy Gregory on the 4 game substance abuse suspension list.  Idiots.

I've seen some bad deals before but holy shit have the Eagles traded the house for the #2 QB. They essentially traded:

1st Round (x2)

2nd Round (x2)

3rd Round

4th Round

Kiko Alonso

Byron Maxwell

For the #2 pick and a 4th rounder next year. They'll also be committing 3 roster spots and circa $24mil cap space on QBs next year, with the likely highest paid backup and 3rd stringer.

I LOVE IT MAGGLE! :D

Maybe I'm just not understanding properly, but from what I can make out are the QBs in this draft really worth all the trades and picks being dished out for them?

I mean from what I can ascertain Goff and Wentz aren't as good as Winston and Mariota last year, or Luck and RG3 from years ago, yet teams seem to be willing to mortgage their futures on getting hold of them.

Anyone able to explain why this is all happening this year?

5 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

Maybe I'm just not understanding properly, but from what I can make out are the QBs in this draft really worth all the trades and picks being dished out for them?

I mean from what I can ascertain Goff and Wentz aren't as good as Winston and Mariota last year, or Luck and RG3 from years ago, yet teams seem to be willing to mortgage their futures on getting hold of them.

Anyone able to explain why this is all happening this year?

Because next year's are even worse, unless Deshaun Watson comes out early.

From everything I've seen, the next real 'franchise' prospect is Josh Rosen, but he won't be available until 2018 at the earliest. 

Yeah, it is odd to see people suggesting that they've moved up to #2 to just pick someone that is going to sit behind Bradford for a year.

How many QBs are likely to go in the first round? Wentz, Goff and Lynch seem to be locks.  I've heard that Cook for the Cardinals and Hackenberg for the Broncos would be good fits.

Cardale Jones sucked huge butt. He had three good games in a row two years ago and that's all he's riding on. Ohio State's offense looked atrocious every time he was on the field and nearly unstoppable when JT Barrett was the quarterback. Jones is big and athletic and that's why guys like Kiper are jerking off to him. I can guarantee he won't be worth a lick in three years.

Connor Cook has had major questions in regards to his leadership ability. And to be perfectly honest, he just never looked like a big time quarterback.

Hackenberg has the talent and tools to be an NFL quarterback. But he threw his college coach under the bus as the reason he has regressed (or just not further progressed) throughout his time at Penn State. So there could be some maturity or leadership issues there as well.

I feel like a broken record, but in five years time, I think you all are going to look back on this class and see what a joke it was that all of these guys are going in the first round. To the guy that was asking about all the quarterbacks going early, it's simply because this is a quarterback league and teams are hoping they find their Cam Newtown/Russell Wilson/Tom Brady. So they shoot their wads way too early on guys that were never anything special in college, and teams like Baltimore, New England, and Pittsburgh scoop up the really super talented guys that play defensive line, linebacker, and defensive back. 

THAT is why you see the same handful of teams going ga-ga over quarterbacks that are simply the best of an incredibly mediocre bunch. There's no Andrew Luck in this class. There's no RG3. There's not a Jameis Winston. Hell, I'd argue that there isn't even a Blake Bortles. Los Angeles (I originally typed St. Louis :shifty:) and Philadelphia have gone all-in, balls-in for some Joey Harrington's. 

• Like 3

I'd be much happier seeing Denver draft Dak in the third round or Kevin Hogan in the 4th/5th instead of Wentz/Goff/Lynch/Cook/Hackenberg in the first or second. What Hogan lacks in pure athleticism, he makes up for with his intelligence and leadership. I don't think he'll be anything special, but he's another dark horse in this class.