Premier League 2016/17

Lineker

3 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

I don't think he's awful, but his decision making seems a bit off. 4 yellows in two minutes at the end of the first half is very much a mistake. It leaves Leicester going in at half time thinking he's out to get them, which only makes his job harder in the second half.

Both he and the one lino were terrible Wednesday. Handballs missed, yellows not given when they should have been, reds not given, goals wrongly awarded, goals wrongly disallowed. Just a shit night all around for the officials. It seems he's having another fantastic day.

Ouch. I suppose the one positive is that he's still (relatively) inexperienced - only been a Premier League ref since 2013 and only just joined the FIFA list. My worry is that there's a lot of English officials who are quickly approaching the mandatory retirement from international reffing age of 45 - Atkinson and Marriner both get removed this season, and our other excellent officials in the select group like Kevin Friend and Lee Mason are both already over that age. English referring has never had a reputation for corruption unlike many of their colleagues from around the world, but the likes of Pawson and the awful Anthony Taylor may mean we get a reputation for incompetence.

Although its nice to see Stuart Atwell back amongst the Select Group. His career has recovered nicely after being given far too much far too soon.

Edit: looking at the Select Group, it really needs a clean out. How the over 50s are going to referee well and keep up with play is beyond me. I've not seen any games with Neil Swarbrick or Roger East (who I've said previously is a bad referee) this season but I can't imagine they're coping well.

20 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Although its nice to see Stuart Atwell back amongst the Select Group. His career has recovered nicely after being given far too much far too soon.

Stuart Attwell is still an awful ref though. Every time I see him he has a nightmare game, most recently less than three months ago.

• Like 1

Just now, Adam said:

Stuart Attwell is still an awful ref though. Every time I see him he has a nightmare game, most recently less than three months ago.

I think he was ruined almost permanently by hype and expectation. Youngest Premier League ref at 25 must've been massive pressure. He's definitely better than before his demotion, but he probably won't reach the FIFA list ever (so the pressure on Michael Oliver who beat his record and is now on the FIFA list must be even worse).