2017 NFL Off-Season Thread

Schlitzbrille

Yeah Doug Free retired. Im holding out hope of getting someone in the draft as forget who it is in rotation behind em but not many hold out hope he could perform on the level of what Dallas O Line is expected to be near. @Maxx do you think Free shoulda told em earlier to try and keep Leary or you still feel he woulda walked either way?

Losing Doug Free does suck. Losing any part of that O-Line is never a good thing. With Leary gone, as well, I wonder who Dallas will get to replace Free...unless they just play on putting someone else on the roster at that spot.

3 hours ago, DFF said:

@VPNutsRoastingOnAOpenFire - we've signed TJ Lang! We might actually have an O line this season! 

That is huge for us, Quinn revamped the OLine in one year. Completely turned over. And he got Lang and Wagner cheaper than what Warford and Reiff cost. 

This also should totally focus Quinn on defense for the draft.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RoHitman Reigns said:

Yeah Doug Free retired. Im holding out hope of getting someone in the draft as forget who it is in rotation behind em but not many hold out hope he could perform on the level of what Dallas O Line is expected to be near. @Maxx do you think Free shoulda told em earlier to try and keep Leary or you still feel he woulda walked either way?

Leary is a guard, doesn't play much at tackle, so it wouldn't have had much of an effect.  It will be interesting to see if they end up putting La'el Collins at tackle now, as he had been slated to be taking Leary's place.

11 hours ago, VPNutsRoastingOnAOpenFire said:

That is huge for us, Quinn revamped the OLine in one year. Completely turned over. And he got Lang and Wagner cheaper than what Warford and Reiff cost. 

This also should totally focus Quinn on defense for the draft.

Yeah, I was thinking about our starting O players, and I like what I see. I'm guess we're going:

QB: Stafford
RB: Abdullah (initially, but with Riddick/Zenner/Washington/possibly a rookie behind him)
FB: Burton
TE: Ebron (catching), Fells (blocking)
WR: Tate & Marvin Jones are alternating/equal WR1's, with TJ Jones, Keshawn Martin and Jared Abbrederis battling for #3 (though I'd like Billingsley to be given a fair shake this year).
LT: Decker
LG: Glasgow or Dahl
C: Swanson
RG: Lang
RT Wagner

I like that line-up. With Wagner and Lang on board, I see us giving Abdullah a concerted push to see if he can take the RB1 reins. Of the others, I'd like us to play Zenner at #2 - he impressed me greatly in the few carries he as given. Keep Riddick as patch-catcher/third down back, but also maybe flex him into slot receiver for added wrinkles. And I agree, D needs to be the priority in the draft now.

Do you think we might promote Killebrew to starting Strong Safety?

@DFF

I can almost guarantee that Killebrew will be given every opportunity to win the job. Even if he doesn't, he'll still see the field quite a bit as he did this past season. Our linebacker play necessitated a third safety to cover TEs and such. Killebrew was effective in the role so I'd expect they do that with him if he isn't starting.

He's a little bit costly, but I'd take Daniel as #2 for us and keep Rudock as our #3 to develop. But yes, I think someone like the Bears might take a punt - Glennon and Daniel is not an awful combo of guys to have.

I wonder if the Jets might consider picking him up?

The Score have rounded up the top available remaining free agents by position groups.

QB

Spoiler

Cutler, Kaepernick, Smith, McCown, Fitzpatrick, Keenum, Gabbert, Sanchez, Manuel

RB

Spoiler

Peterson, Lacy, Murray, Blount, Charles, Jennings, McFadden, Burkhead

WR

Spoiler

Floyd, Patterson, Cruz, Jackson, Boldin, Aiken

TE

Spoiler

Cook, Tamme, Willson, Rivera

OL

Spoiler

Mangold, Clady, Sullivan, Vollmer, Jerry

DE/EDGE

Spoiler

Odrick, Ware, Barwin, Williams, Dumervil, Long, Okafoir, Freeney

DT

Spoiler

Poe, Hankins, Logan, Marks, Wilfork, Woods, Alualu

LB

Spoiler

Hightower, Brown, Minter, Hodges, Te'o, Levy, Robinson

DB

Spoiler

Claiborne, Carr, Shields, McDonald, Robey-Coleman, Revis, McDougald, Johnson, Webster, Byrd, House, Williams, Verner, Flowers, Newman

They didn't both with Punters/Kickers.

• Admin

Jeremiah mock draft 3.0: Chargers, Saints get QB successors

Garrett to Cleveland, Thomas to San Francisco, Adams to Chicago, Allen to Jacksonville, Hooker to Tennessee, Lattimore to NY Jets, Watson to LA Chargers, Fournette to Carolina, Barnett to Cincinnati, Conley to Buffalo, McCaffrey to New Orleans, Howard to Cleveland, Foster to Arizona, White to Philadelphia, Lamp to Indianapolis, Harris to Baltimore, Peppers to Washington, Davis to Tennessee, Awuzie to Tampa Bay, Robinson to Denver, McKinley to Denver, Njoku to Miami, Reddick to NY Giants, Ross to Oakland, Bolles to Houston, King to Seattle, Cook to Kansas City, Engram to Dallas, Charlton to Green Bay, Williams to Pittsburgh, Watt to Atlanta, Trubisky to New Orleans.

Isn't the cap hit for cutting Daniel like $7mil? Seems mad to do that and sign Foles just to hold a clipboard. I'd imagine Foles cap is over $5mil this year unless it's heavily backloaded.

And the Eagles have one of the highest spend this year already with Cox having a huge number next year. This pleases me! :D

9 hours ago, Meacon said:

Foles is signed for $11 million for two years (yeesh) and the latest I've heard is they're trying to trade Daniel, hoping to avoid a cap penalty for cutting his overpaid, chubby butt.

They cut him, nobody was trading for Daniel on that outrageous contract. $7mil dead cap plus whatever cap hit Foles is, that's just awful management.