2017 NFL Off-Season Thread

Schlitzbrille

48 minutes ago, TCO said:

Different eras and teams but Romo's stats are much better than Aikman's though, so there's that.

How do their playoff records compare?

I like Tony but trying to compare him to a guy who won 3 Super Bowls because he happened to put up great stats in a very pass happy era in the NFL doesn't work for me.

• Like 2

Just now, Maxx said:

How do their playoff records compare?

I like Tony but trying to compare him to a guy who won 3 Super Bowls because he happened to put up great stats in a very pass happy era in the NFL doesn't work for me.

I completely understand the reasoning and I fully trust your opinion as a Cowboys fan. Troy was drafted before I was born and retired a few years before I started watching football so I never saw him play. Also I've always secretly loved Romo, that man is just lovely! :P

Lets not sell Romo short by just saying great stats in a pass happy era, he has the 4th highest QB rating of all time . He's special and with a small bit of a luck going his way, he could easily have a few rings now.

Judging quarterbacks today where coaches willingly throw 40 or 50 times a game, where a receiver doesn't need to be scared going across the middle, when everyone catching passes are wearing gloves that are essentially stick 'em, and defensive backs can't fart three yards within a receiver without being penalized against quarterbacks of the past based solely on stats is never going to paint anything close to the real picture. Romo has the 4th highest quarterback rating all-time, but I wouldn't even say he's a Top-20, if even Top-25 quarterback of all time. 

This game has changed DRASTICALLY over the last fifteen years. 

Edit: And I actually really like Romo and want to see him succeed. But yeah.

If I get time, I'm going to try to come up with a list of QBs that I'd argue are better than Romo. I'd keep it to players I've at least seen on film, but Otto Graham belongs on the list, so...

I bet I could get to 50, easy. Not that Romo is bad, he's a good QB and I do think that you could win a championship with him, but stats don't tell the whole story.

Bills have officially signed Haushka

Vikings signed Latavius Murray

Reading those Reddit comments got me to thinking...I can't believe I'm saying this but I'd almost be able to stomach a 19-0 Pats season next year.  Probably just because it's the only way I can see Brady and Belichick retiring in 2018 rather than continuing on for another 3-5 years beyond that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thatshortguy said:

Poe to Atlanta for one year, eight million.  Seems a weeee bit overpriced, but a one year deal?  Bring it on.

Still stinging about DiMarco heading off to San Fran, though.

DiMarco went to Buffalo. Kyle Juszczyk went to San Fran.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, damshow said:

Poe in Atlanta is a solid move for them, they shore up a big position for what on paper should be a better team than this year's that made the Super Bowl.

Ravens signed Brandon Carr to be their 2nd CB. How has he been Cowboys fans?

Played every game for the last 5 years and is from what I hear a locker room leader and strong community guy.

The kind of pick up we should be making and I'm excited. We've actually got a secondary now!

• Like 2

On 16/03/2017 at 06:20, Lowerdeck said:

Even if the Pats went 19-0 next year, I couldn't see Brady and Belichick leaving.  Those two give zero fucks, and are driven to dominate as long as physically possible.  They would try and go for record winning streaks like the UConn women.

I don't think the Patriots are eligible to try and break any sort of college teams streak, let alone face off against a women's college.