2017 NFL Off-Season Thread

Schlitzbrille

As much crap as Sanchez gets, he's a perfectly acceptable back up. I'd have him over Dan Orlovsky. 

• Like 1

What does everyone make of Manziel meeting with Sean Payton?

I was going to mention that earlier - I haven't heard anything about what he's asking for so the argument that he hasn't been signed yet because of what he's asking for seems disingenuous to me.

Jonathan Stewart has re-signed for the Panthers

Brian Quick has signed for Washington

• Admin

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/LifeStyleFitnessNews/article-1/Osi-Umenyiora-wins-award-for-NFL-coverage/bc512aa1-eb4b-48a0-b5e0-7bde3f088094

"Osi Umenyiora walked away a winner at the 2017 Royal Television Society (RTS) Programme Awards in the Sports Presenter, Commentator or Pundit category. Umenyiora won the award for his NFL coverage on BBC Two, specifically for his work on Race to Super Bowl 50, NFL This Week and The NFL Show."

Fully expecting a US network to snap him up as soon as they can. He's great.

Heh, Trump's been talking shit about how teams won't sign Kaepernick because they're scared of Trump's twitter rants. 

In unrelated news ( :shifty: ), Kaepernick turned around and donated $50k to Meals on Wheels.

• Like 6

Kaepernick should eventually end up on a team. It just depends on if he's asking for more than he's worth and whether or not owners and GM's can forget about the protesting. If he's asking for elite starter money, when he's likely going to land somewhere as a backup, he's going to be waiting until he comes to his senses or a team is desperate due to their QBs getting injured or just plain sucking on the field.

I'm just stunned Geno Smith still has a career.....

Manziel meeting with Sean Payton is interesting. Do I think Manziel deserves another chance? Yes, if he's truly cleaned up his act.....and as long as that chance isn't with the Cowboys or Titans. Jerry Jones almost drafted Manziel, so I'm cringing at the thought of him trying to sign him as Dak's backup, and hope that doesn't happen. (The only reason he didn't sign Manziel is because his own son stopped him....proving at least his son has sense.)

Edited by GhostMachine
  • Like 1

I think Kaepernick winds up somewhere after he spends most of the offseason unsigned. And he gets very, very little for his contract. People will be like "hurr hurr that showed him" and that'll be that. The thing with this is that it's not just him going unsigned. A lot of veterans with higher asking prices are still out there. Kaepernick is a unique situation but the NFL has basically designed itself to fuck over veterans by making them too expensive when compared to undrafted rookies, etc. So for people like RGIII who would be a viable backup/change of pace QB on a lot of teams you're stuck with the pricetag. With Kaepernick you have the pricetag and the media pressure.

I love the idea of Kapernick has a backup because if your QB goes down in the game you're bringing out a type of player likely completely different. It's harder to scout. Hell, teams took a few months to figure out how to properly scout the 49ers with him at the helm in 2012.

The loan dissenting vote was cast by the Dolphins.  I imagine it has something to do with the fact that Miami keeps being able to land big name free agents no matter how bad the team is because players are lured in by the weather and, more importantly, the lack of state income tax.  A good Raiders team in Vegas could be a serious player for free agents.

The Texas teams could've also voted against the move because of the income tax thing but neither of those owners have exactly been shy about doling out huge money when needed.

Deiondre' Hall and Makinton Dorleant were arrested in connection with a bar fight in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. 

Hall, who plays for the Chicago Bears, was “flailing his arms and yelling profanity” in the middle of a crowd outside of Sharky’s Fun House, according to a police report obtained by KCRG. As police took Hall out of the crowd, he allegedly spit at the officers. Police used a stun gun on his leg. Dorleant, a cornerback for the Green Bay Packers, tried to help Hall but was arrested after he was “yelling and waving his arms in a threatening manner.”

KCRG has about five minutes of video from the outside of the bar, although it’s hard to tell what’s happening in it.

Hall was charged with disorderly conduct, public intoxication, and interference with official acts; Dorleant was charged with interference with official acts.

http://deadspin.com/two-nfl-players-arrested-after-altercation-at-iowa-bar-1793675285

Also:

53 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Poor Oakland tbh. 

Mark Davis simply can't afford to build a stadium on his own, and the NFL won't allow him to borrow enough money (using the team as collateral) to get it done. It's sad, but I don't blame the city, either. Just tough all around.

Edited by DMN