2017 NFL Off-Season Thread

Schlitzbrille

• Admin

Matt McGloin has agreed to one-year deal with Philadelphia Eagles. In other quarterback news on Monday, the Bills announced that they signed T.J. Yates.

Washington linebacker Junior Galette is in trouble with the law again.

According to the Biloxi Police Department, Galette was arrested in Biloxi, Mississippi on Friday night on accusations of disorderly conduct and failure to comply with police orders.

Washington released this statement: "We are aware of the incident. We are gathering information and will refrain from making any further comment."

During Galette's 2015 offseason with the Saints, he was arrested on domestic violence and battery charges -- both of which were eventually dropped -- and was dealing with a torn pectoral that potentially needed surgery. The confluence of those scenarios made Galette expendable, and New Orleans released him.

After spending two seasons with Waashington without playing a down, Galette signed his third contract with the team in January. During training camp in 2015 he suffered a season-ending Achilles injury. Then in March 2016 he suffered another Achilles injury, this one to the opposite leg, during a non-football related workout.

1 minute ago, TCO said:

Fun fact with the Seahawks signing Dion Jordan. They traded out of the first round of the 2013 draft but now have the #2 and #3 overall picks under contract.

That draft was woeful.

And its not like #1 and #4 would be unattainable.  I love that draft because there were 9 offensive lineman drafted in the first round and the Cowboys got the best one at pick 31.

• Admin

Bucky Brooks mock draft 4.0: Four QBs, Joe Mixon in Round 1 - :lol: 

Garrett to Cleveland, Adams to San Francisco, Lattimore to Chicago, Fournette to Jacksonville, Thomas to Tennessee, Watson to NY Jets, Hooker to LA Chargers, Allen to Carolina, Foster to Cincinnati, Williams to Buffalo, Barnett to New Orleans, Howard to Cleveland, Mahomes to Arizona, McCaffrey to Philadelphia, McKinley to Indianapolis, Corey Davis to Baltimore, Trubisky to Washington, Ross to Tennessee, Cook to Tampa Bay, Ramczyk to Denver, Jarrad Davis to Detroit, Charlton to Miami, Bolles to NY Giants, Reddick to Oakland, Robinson to Houston, Melifonwu to Seattle, Conley to Kansas City, Harris to Dallas, Mixon to Green Bay, Kizer to Pittsburgh, Lamp to Atlanta, Jackson to New Orleans.

The Cincinnati Bengals have traded a conditional 2018 draft choice to the Jacksonville Jaguars in exchange for defensive end Chris Smith.

James Laurinaitis has announced his retirement.

Laurinaitis was somebody Giants fans seemed to clamor for every year since they've had linebacker issues for ages.  I always thought he was overrated though.  People always point to the high number of tackles not realizing that you get credited with them simply by leaping onto a pile, which he did a lot.

And yeah, I really hope he doesn't go into wrestling if he's had a huge history of concussions.

The total tackles stat is one of the more overrated NFL stats. You can be on a very bad defense, and not a player, but because you're 4-5 yards back able to swallow up a lot of tackles on run plays. Advanced stats in football are slowly taking off so it's easier to rate defenders beyond things like tackles.

• Like 1

I don't think there's a chance in hell he'd have been drafted as early as he was if the advanced stats were around when he was in college.  His reputation as a pile-on tackler was around even back then but there weren't other metrics to use so people got blinded by the tackles - and being on Ohio State certainly helped him.

Joe Mixon is almost definitely a first round pick. The only reason he isn't is because of character issues, which aren't that great of a concern.

He's not exactly a woman beater, it was a once off incident he was hit first and he retaliated. If he drops then a team is getting serious value.

He was allegedly racially abused she shoved him, then hit him and he hit her back. She broke bones she hit her head off a table on the way down. 

Not defending him, what he did was very wrong and he faced the criminal consequences for that, it's just not exactly a Ray Rice situation. it was a guy that hit him and he retaliated then nobody would care. I wouldn't draft him in the first but he shouldn't be blacklisted. Meanwhile Tyreek Hill pleaded guilty to strangling his then pregnant girlfriend, got he lit the league up last year. :wacko: Mixon will definitely go high!

I find it hard to believe he'll be drafted in the 1st round. He'll get drafted and someone will probably end up with a steal, given his on-field talent, but I think it would be a PR mistake for a team to draft him in the 1st.

This is where the Patriots take him in the 2nd round, isn't it? :shifty:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. He may be as great as they're building him up to be, but the fewer criminals on the roster the better. I don't think it's possible for any NFL team to have a whole roster of guys who haven't done something like this (at least to a degree), but it doesn't mean I have to be eager to see my team get another one. Winning is great and fun, but I'd rather be mediocre and not celebrate woman beaters. If a team wants to take him in the first round, that's their prerogative, but I'd be awfully disappointed if that is what Denver decided to do.