2017 NFL Off-Season Thread

Schlitzbrille

I reckon he'll get another shot (as a back up, to start with) somewhere. Personally, I'd have taken him to be Tyrod's back up at the Bills. Not a hugely dissimilar style or skillset.

43 minutes ago, Busch Hernandez said:

Colin Kaepernick remains unsigned and probably won't be.

That's such a great lesson for the kids.  Never speak your mind if you think it's going to upset people who don't feel the same way you do.  Yay America.

Could also be because of his stupidly high asking price.  I'd be prefer him over Kellen Moore as a backup.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Busch Hernandez said:

Colin Kaepernick remains unsigned and probably won't be.

That's such a great lesson for the kids.  Never speak your mind if you think it's going to upset people who don't feel the same way you do.  Yay America.

Has anybody pointed out how fucking stupid it is playing the national anthem before every game anyway? That along with America's rager for flags absolutely everywhere always confused me.

That being said, I don't think its exclusively Kaepernick's beliefs that are keeping him out of a job, it's almost certainly his price. He's going to be looking for starter money when teams see him as a backup.

• Like 1

It's been mentioned (playing of the anthem) time and time again, but it's what the league (along with the other American professional sports leagues) want, so it's what is going to happen.

I said when he was released no team was likely to give him a chance. His stigma outweighs his abilities, I think. It's a shame because he didn't have that bad of a year for a San Fran team that had about as much talent as Brad Harris on American Idol. 

But the fact that he even has a stigma on him in the first place is ridiculous.  Considering that this is a league where players can commit domestic abuse and then still be given chance after chance - a guy being punished for merely speaking his mind in a perfectly legal manner just further highlights how fucked the priorities of most NFL owners are.

I'm not surprised the stigma exists, it's just bullshit that it does when so many others have been forgiven for doing actually reprehensible stuff.

• Like 2

Oh it absolutely is bullshit. But a general manager is going to look at him and say, "I can get another quarterback at the same talent level and not have to deal with extra stuff." If it was Aaron Rodgers or Cam Newton, teams would gladly give a chance to them if they had done what Kap did. But Colin is a bottom tier type starter in the league. I think what he did was right, but I knew it was career suicide when it happened and everyone in the media blew up about it. The American people have waaaaaaay too much Americana stuffed up their ass to let something like that go. 

• Like 6

Yeah the onus for the stigma falls more on the fans who are willing to boycott the product over him not standing for the National Anthem instead of players beating their wives. A lot of owners naturally lean conservative since they're (mostly) rich white men but they wouldn't care if fans didn't care as much. I do think the effect of those fans is largely overstated but it's enough that the owners feel worried about it.

Its the same reason Tim Tebow isn't in the league when he's the perfect QB 2/3. Attention/hysteria outweighs talent

If your QB goes down then your season is likely fucked anyway, I've always maintained Tebow would be the perfect guy to throw in. He's basically a incredibly hard working HB who can sort of throw. The opposition is going to be prepared for your traditional QB, then you throw this left-handed erratic running back with an arm out there who's also a great leader. He's gonna fuck their shit up in the short term which is all you need because if QB1 goes down long-term, you're done anyway!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Meacon said:

Yeah, agree to disagree on the Tebow thing. He's not a good NFL quarterback, and he refused to try other positions.

Bullshit, he's trying to play outfielder.

• Like 7

Tebow sucks, but there's some very sucky QBs currently earning a living in the NFL. His skillset was definitely unique enough to catch another look at the very least if he didn't have the whole Christian fueled hysteria thing going.

• Like 1

I thought he did okay in those pre-season games Chip gave him at the Eagles that last time. For me, if you're a team who keeps three (or, lol the Jets, four) QBs on the roster, why not have him? No, he isn't 'good', but he isn't terrible either and has a unique skillset that teams would have to scheme for. Plus, he'd sell an absolute bucket of merchandise, and he seems a genuinely nice guy / potential locker room leader.

I think I want to expand on my previous idea for the Bills. Tyrod as starter, Kaepernick as #2, Tebow as #3. What could go wrong? :shifty:

In other news,

• Jags signed TE Mychal Rivera
  • Packers re-signed RB Christine Michael
  • Dolphins signed OT Avery Young
  • Dolphins released CB Daniel Davie
  • Titans signed G Tim Lelito
  • Cheifs re-signed DE Jarvis Jenkins
  • Like 1

• Admin

Bucky Brooks mock draft 3.0: QBs slide to Texans, Chiefs

Garrett to Cleveland, Thomas to San Francisco, Adams to Chicago, Fournette to Jacksonville, Lattimore to Tennessee, Allen to NY Jets, Hooker to LA Chargers, Barnett to Carolina, Foster to Cincinnati, Mike Williams to Buffalo, White to New Orleans, Howard to Cleveland, Davis to Arizona, Tabor to Philadelphia, Awuzie to Indianapolis, Ross to Baltimore, Cook to Washington, McKinley to Tennessee, Davis to Tampa Bay, Bolles to Denver, Charlton to Detroit, Reddick to Miami, Ramczyk to NY Giants, Robinson to Oakland, Trubisky to Houston, Moreau to Seattle, Watson to Kansas City, Harris to Denver, McCaffrey to Green Bay, Tim Williams to Pittsburgh, Watt to Atlanta, Jackson to New Orleans.

I know the Giants badly need a tackle but I don't like what I've read of any of the first round ones. Its win now mode with Eli but I still think best player available should still be adhered to. When we reached for that need last time, it resulted in Ereck Flowers and that can't happen again.

Actually the last two tackles I wanted were Lewan and Conklin and the Titans picked them just before the Giants. Obviously I'm not bothered because it led to Odell, but still didn't make that link before!

Kaepernick not signing anywhere (yet) isn't surprising.

One place that would make sense is the Jets, since they already had a run-heavy offensive scheme and he's already better than any QB on their roster last season. That will never happen though since the Jets have a really conservative owner, that Il Douche also nominated as ambassador to the UK.