Premier League 2017/18

Lineker

• Admin

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger was "very aggressive" and called referee Mike Dean "a disgrace" after the Gunners' 1-1 draw at West Brom on New Year's Eve, according to an FA report.

Dean gave a controversial late penalty, which the Baggies scored in a 1-1 draw.

Wenger entered the officials' changing room and confronted Dean, according to the FA's written reasons for the manager's three-match touchline ban.

The referee said Wenger accused him of being dishonest numerous times.

Written testimony from Dean, his assistant referees and the fourth official are contained in the report and give similar accounts of the row.

Dean said: "As we've entered the dressing room after the game Mr Wenger stood behind us in the doorway and told the West Brom steward to 'let him in'.

"He was very aggressive leaning towards me, pointing aggressively at me saying 'you're not honest' on numerous occasions.

"I replied 'so you're calling me a cheat'. He replied 'I maintain what I say, you're not honest'.

"He then said 'you've done this to us many times before, you're supposed to be professional, you're a disgrace'. He was then ushered out of the room by the West Brom safety officer."

I agree 100% with Wenger on this one.

He is a disgrace, it’s not just against us though. In general, he is not good enough to be refereeing at the top level, not even close. He doesn’t help his own cause by being the epitome of arrogance. He makes decisions with the sole objective for him to be in the discussion post-match. 

I don’t see how he can referee an Arsenal match in the future either. 

1 hour ago, Liam Mk2 said:

He is a disgrace, it’s not just against us though. In general, he is not good enough to be refereeing at the top level, not even close. He doesn’t help his own cause by being the epitome of arrogance. He makes decisions with the sole objective for him to be in the discussion post-match. 

I don't buy this in the slightest. Why would a referee want to be in the discussion post-match? It doesn't make him any money, it doesn't increase his profile with regards to going to tournaments or getting big appointments. It's an accusation levelled at many top referees and it's never really backed up by any facts.

I absolutely assure you being 'Mike Dean: high profile ex-referee' will make him big money once he retires and his potential fee only increases every time he makes himself the centre of the conversation in the aftermath of big games, which he does with amazing frequency.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

You want to swap for one of the football league referees? I can guarantee you they're worse (and no I'm not referring to the recent sending offs of Saiz or O'Kane, they were both justified and both players were fucking idiotic to do what they did). Premier league referees are a hell of a lot better than football league referees. In regards to Dean someone (i assume on Reddit, but i can't be sure) posted some statistics about Arsenals win percentage under him which made him look bad, but when someone else posted statistics based on Arsenals win percentage compared to the league position and how Dean fared in comparison it was about right, the former statistic was skewed by the fact that the majority of Arsenal matches he refereed were against top sides.

• Like 1