NBA 2018-2019 Season

Pooker

Yeah they wanted to get Butler out of the conference so bad they turned down a 4 1st rounders deal. This is a good deal for the Sixers. Covington and Saric are replaceable should Butler not sign long-term. If Butler stays if plugs the biggest hole the Sixers have. The big question is what a guy like Butler will do for Fultz's confidence.

39 minutes ago, Meacon said:

I don't get it from Minnesota's perspective. You turned down 4 1st round picks, but you took Covington's overrated ass and Saric who looks like he spent all summer eating pastries.

Those 4 1st round picks would not have been good picks, though. Covington is a good 3 and D guy now and Saric fits the mold of what you want from a 4 these days. They got deeper now and aren't relying on the Rockets somehow fucking up between now and then, something that Morey has proven to be able to avoid so far. 

22 minutes ago, Pooker said:

Extreme strange for the Wolves. Its like they got tired of him last night and just took the first offer this morning.

He was actually close to sitting last night as the deal started to progress. 

Also, how much better do the Sixers really get? I guess they can get some credit for zagging when everybody is zigging but a team that was already struggling to shoot will struggle even more. 

Edited by livid

7 minutes ago, livid said:

Those 4 1st round picks would not have been good picks, though. Covington is a good 3 and D guy now and Saric fits the mold of what you want from a 4 these days. They got deeper now and aren't relying on the Rockets somehow fucking up between now and then, something that Morey has proven to be able to avoid so far. 

They would have been spread out over 7 years so there's a very good chance some of the latter ones would have been good. And regardless they then would have worked as trade chips to make other moves to bring players into Minnesota.

There's a chance. I would disagree with the notion that it would be a good chance. One of the reasons the Nets picks ended up being so bad in the Celtics deal is because they had a bad GM making the moves. Daryl Morey is not a bad GM. 

And let's say they are trade chips, what player are they getting to come to MN? They don't have cap flexibility thanks to the large deals they signed KAT and Wiggins to and it's unlikely they'll be able to shed Wiggins in a deal that frees up that space. KAT maybe but then what player are you getting return that is better than he is? 

There best bet, at this point, would be to build around KAT and Wiggins with a team deep enough to make up for their shortcomings. I think this deal accomplished that as best they could in this situation. 

Edited by livid

1 minute ago, livid said:

There's a chance. I would disagree with the notion that it would be a good chance. One of the reasons the Nets picks ended up being so bad in the Celtics deal is because they had a bad GM making the moves. Daryl Morey is not a bad GM. 

And let's say they are trade chips, what player are they getting to come to MN? They don't have cap flexibility thanks to the large deals they signed KAT and Wiggins to and it's unlikely they'll be able to shed Wiggins in a deal that frees up that space. KAT maybe but then what player are you getting return that is better than he is? 

Those are fair points. I'd say in regards to the Wiggins piece you can package that, but it's hard. There are some really dumb and kneejerk GMs out there, so it would all be taking a chance. Adding Saric and Covington is also taking a chance albeit a bit differently.

Wolves were always in a bit of a no-win situation.

As someone that, due to location, has watched quite a chunk of Sixer games this year, I don't think Minnesota getting Covington (who is fine against sub-par teams but disappears against the "best" of the East) or Saric, who plays like he's not had any conditioning since 2014 is that great of a haul.

And it's also being reported that Philly and Butler will hammer out a long term deal in the Summer. I assumed Philly wouldn't trade for him unless they got some reassurance it wasn't just a rental. 

Horrible injury for Levert. Hate to see anybody go down like that.

Jazz finally beat Memphis. Seems so weird to play a team 3 times in such a short time span, but whatever, we beat them and dont have to face them until March now.

8 minutes ago, DMN said:

I miss the Sonics. I was watching a video on YouTube and, man, they had dope jerseys, GP and Kemp were dope. Best logo in the NBA (the Sacramento Lion is a close second).

I use the Sonics as an expansion team every time I fire up NBA 2k. I like the old green and gold, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I preferred the 90's Sonic uniforms that looked like this:

1996-sonics-1.0.jpg

3 hours ago, Meacon said:

I use the Sonics as an expansion team every time I fire up NBA 2k. I like the old green and gold, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I preferred the 90's Sonic uniforms that looked like this:

1996-sonics-1.0.jpg

Both are great. The skyline jerseys are great, but I agree. The Sonics/Bulls Finals was the first time I really sat down and got into a Finals, I'd been too young to really appreciate Showtime, so those Sonics always had a special place for me. I'm not a 'second favorite team' guy, but the Sonics are cool with me.

The Jazz and Sonics battles in the mid 90s was right when I was just getting old enough to really know what basketball was and how it was played. I used to hate the Sonics, especially Payton and Kemp. 

9 hours ago, Meacon said:

The Sonics from NBA Live ‘95 is right up there with the LA Kings in NHL ‘93 as the most fun video game teams of my childhood. Payton to drain the threes and Kemp and Perkins to slam home the dunks. 

Was that the year where you could do the expansion draft for Vancouver and Toronto, or was that 1996?

Kemp and Payton were a dope team in NBA Jam as well, IIRC.

8 hours ago, DMN said:

Was that the year where you could do the expansion draft for Vancouver and Toronto, or was that 1996?

Kemp and Payton were a dope team in NBA Jam as well, IIRC.

That was NBA Live 96 (Season 95/96). I'm pretty sure I've played that game more than any other NBA game I've ver had!