NBA 2018-2019 Season

Pooker

I'd be shocked if both Beal and Potter aren't traded by the deadline. A few weeks ago, I would have loved to see the Jazz make a run at Beal. Something like Ricky Rubio and Derrick Favors for Beal and Jeff Green. Jazz would probably have to throw in another player or picks, but pairing Beal up with Mitchell, with Exum off the bench would have been awesome. Now tho, I'm not sure I would do it. 

14 minutes ago, Pooker said:

I'd be shocked if both Beal and Potter aren't traded by the deadline. A few weeks ago, I would have loved to see the Jazz make a run at Beal. Something like Ricky Rubio and Derrick Favors for Beal and Jeff Green. Jazz would probably have to throw in another player or picks, but pairing Beal up with Mitchell, with Exum off the bench would have been awesome. Now tho, I'm not sure I would do it. 

I think that's not a good deal for the Jazz at all honestly. Beal is a very catch and shoot style player that works alongside guys like Wall because he can focus on getting open off the dribble rather than getting open with the ball in his hands. (Not that Beal can't, but he's much better as an off-guard).

Trade Rubio away, and the Jazz lose their only playmaker, Exum and Neto just aren't good facilitators. And you can't expect Mitchell (or lord forbid Ingles) to be the primary ball handler every time down the court, Mitchell has insane talent but he'd be worse off with that much offensive workload. Rubio is a poor shooter, but that passing is something you won't find right now on the market, and he's a plus defensively on top of that.

Then you have Favors, who isn't the player he was before his injury a few years back, but he's doing great work and both he and Gobert are super efficient on offense on top of that defensive ability.

I don't think Beal is worth both Rubio's playmaking and Favors' defense, and Green doesn't add anything that would put him over Jae Crowder.

They definitely should make a try for Beal because he could hopefully put them closer in the west, but honestly, the Jazz don't have much to offer that wouldn't hurt the team in some ways.

Beal is having a very good season and Wall, injuries and all, isn't the same he once was, but I have to agree with that. I think Beal, while much better than he once was, still can't be trusted as a primary ball handler on all situations and Donovan Mitchell won't be doing it full time either, no matter how good he turned out to be.

If the Jazz used a Beal + Mitchell backcourt, they would have troubles dealing with a lot of defenses, and whenever one of them had a bad day.

Now, I've read it everywhere (other boards). A lot of Jazz fans seem to like the prospect of that trade - or similar - and I know it would make many people happy but I just can't see it working out the way those fans think.

Bradley Beal will help pretty much any team he lands on, but I think there are plenty of teams who would need him more. I don't think there are more than 4 or 5 teams that can realistically get him because regardless of the situation in Washington I can't seem them trading cheap and not a lot of teams have the assets to make it work.

41 minutes ago, Malenko said:

Beal is having a very good season and Wall, injuries and all, isn't the same he once was, but I have to agree with that. I think Beal, while much better than he once was, still can't be trusted as a primary ball handler on all situations and Donovan Mitchell won't be doing it full time either, no matter how good he turned out to be.

If the Jazz used a Beal + Mitchell backcourt, they would have troubles dealing with a lot of defenses, and whenever one of them had a bad day.

Now, I've read it everywhere (other boards). A lot of Jazz fans seem to like the prospect of that trade - or similar - and I know it would make many people happy but I just can't see it working out the way those fans think.

Bradley Beal will help pretty much any team he lands on, but I think there are plenty of teams who would need him more. I don't think there are more than 4 or 5 teams that can realistically get him because regardless of the situation in Washington I can't seem them trading cheap and not a lot of teams have the assets to make it work.

I'd honestly sooner see the Mavs make a play by sending Wes Matthews and DSJ to Washington for Beal, but honestly, I don't want DSJ to leave the team even though lots of people are already trying to write him off despite being a second year rookie and being more efficient than he was last year.

But yeah, if Wiz are truly blowing the team up it's going to be a frenzy to pick up Beal and whoever wants him will have to pay the jackpot.

That's the thing with Quin Snyder's system...he barely uses Rubio as the playmaker that he could be. Running  his system is why Rubio, not known for his shooting, averages ten shots a game. If we were to trade Rubio for Beal, Mitchell could slide into Rubio's spot and there wouldn't be much of a change in our playing.

Had it been possible a few weeks ago, I would have done the trade in a heartbeat. Losing Favors would hurt a lot, but like Rubio, he's being wasted in Utah. If he played 30 minutes a game at center, he would be a borderline All-Star. As is, he's only better 23 minutes a game and is never on the court at the end of the game when he could be making an impact.

As a Jazz fan, I can see the flaws in our system with the players that we have and I also see why our front office is hesitant to change anything. A solution to fix our flaws would be to trade Rubio and Favors for Beal and try to sign a better stretch four over the summer. A backcourt of Beal and Mitchell, Gobert manning the middle, a stretch four on the outside and Ingles doing his thing is a scary team, to me.

On 30/12/2018 at 16:34, Pooker said:

Porter feels almost untradeable. His contract is really bad. Beal is the only one the Wizards can actually flip for assets. Porter would be flipped as part of a salary dump from another team, and we don't need to do that.

Bill Simmons has long been of the belief that the Draft Lottery is rigged, specifically in favor of the Cavs ever since LeBron left the first time.  He's now threatened to quit sports media entirely if they win it again this year to luck into another superstar prospect (Zion Williamson).

Hope people hold him to it.

3 hours ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

Bill Simmons has long been of the belief that the Draft Lottery is rigged, specifically in favor of the Cavs ever since LeBron left the first time.  He's now threatened to quit sports media entirely if they win it again this year to luck into another superstar prospect (Zion Williamson).

Cleveland has replaced the Knicks the most inept and important franchise in the east?

5 hours ago, Buschie Van Wagenen said:

While i do agree that the lottery is rigged when it suits the needs of the NBA, I believe that Lebron is done with Cleveland and the NBA has no reason to help them get another Superstar. If there was a chance that Lebron would be going back there soon, maybe. But not this late in his career. 

Sucks to beat a team by 22 points and than get fired but I think he had it coming. Even with the disaster that was Jimmy Butler, the Wolves have vastly underperformed.

Besides Derrick Rose. He's back!

Luka Doncic bailed out the Mavs in a massive way with clutch dunks, assists, and threes to get a rare road win last night. Nearly got a triple double with 29-8-12 with two steals. That kid continues to be ridiculously confident in his play and only seems to become better as the year progresses.

In significantly more depressing news, J.J. Barea has torn his right achilles last night after a collission with Jeff Teague and falling to the court. At 34 it might be hard to get back from this, I might've just watched Barea's final NBA game ever. :crying::crying:

He was brilliant this year too, the player with the highest assist ratio in the entire NBA, 47.6% of all plays he was on the court ended with him getting an assist!

JJ has never been the best player, but he's really always been the heart and soul of the Mavs despite being admittedly a pretty dirty player as far as drawing fouls and playing hard went. And I will never ever forget the 2010/2011 playoffs were he came up so extremely big when it mattered, torching the Lakers (and getting decked by Bynum and Artest and still playing on), putting the clamps on LeBron goddamn James in the finals. He was a huge part in adding the spark that would bring Dirk and the Mavs their first and only title.

If this injury spells the end of Barea's career, this will be the most bittersweet season ever. With a superstar in Doncic taking the torch and running with it, but also having to see Dirk, Barea, and possibly Devin Harris ride off into the sunset. An end of an era.

I'm not ready for it to end! :crying: