NBA 2018-2019 Season

Pooker

The Tobias Harris trade is interesting because it gives the Sixers the best starting lineup in the east, but they have no bench. I think a conference finals trip is still doable, but Toronto is going to likely add a little more depth between now and tomorrow and the Bucks have the depth already. It'll be interesting, because if you don't play with benches there's nobody who can line up to Philadelphia.

As for what happens this offseason, with all they've given up for Harris and Butler. I think they're playing it so they can keep one, and not sweat it if the other leaves. I think realistically their expectation is for Butler to go somewhere else (join Durant in New York? Or Kawhi with the Clips?) and then they have Harris to fall back on.

2 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

Otto Porter, Jr's going to Chicago for Bobby Portis and Jabari Parker. Are the Wizards finally blowing it up?

I just really want Beal on the Raptors :unsure:

They have to now. It's been 5 years since Wall/Beal was the best young backcourt in the league and we were wondering if Curry/Klay would be able to match them. Everything since that magical season in 2014 where they looked to have the entire future ahead of them has been terrible. And Wall's injury has ended any hope they'll ever compete. Get something for Otto, and get whatever ransom you can for Beal.

19 minutes ago, Pooker said:

If the Jazz aren't on the phone right now throwing out anybody not named Mitchell or Gobert at Washington for Beal, I'm going to to disappointed.

What I actually think is happening is the Wizards needing to get out of cap hell and moving Porter was the only way to do that. They'll still believe that Beal is in their long-term plans and they can put something together around him and Wall when he comes back. The reality is different. There is no window anymore, beyond maybe a few years as a 6 or 7 seed in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, Malenko said:

The Mavs traded everyone on their starting 5 but Doncic.

Makes you wonder how Luka must be feeling knowing he's probably next on the chopping block... (/s)

But yeah, obviously a trade to free up cap space after they went over it with the Knicks trade. They'll want to tie up Dorian Finney-Smith and Kleber for certain, and the funds opened up will allow them that. I think this will be it for the Mavs trade-a-thon this year, although who knows, trading Devin Harris at the deadline has become something of a Mavs tradition :D 

I really hope Harrison Barnes will find a good home in the Kings, who for the first time in ages seem like a team that are going places. They got a really formidable team together, and whilst I don't see them going far in the playoffs, they got a team that has legs to make upsets happen.

1 hour ago, Jasonmufc said:

Makes you wonder how Luka must be feeling knowing he's probably next on the chopping block... (/s)

But yeah, obviously a trade to free up cap space after they went over it with the Knicks trade. They'll want to tie up Dorian Finney-Smith and Kleber for certain, and the funds opened up will allow them that. I think this will be it for the Mavs trade-a-thon this year, although who knows, trading Devin Harris at the deadline has become something of a Mavs tradition :D 

I really hope Harrison Barnes will find a good home in the Kings, who for the first time in ages seem like a team that are going places. They got a really formidable team together, and whilst I don't see them going far in the playoffs, they got a team that has legs to make upsets happen.

Yeah Sacramento, given their long playoff drought, are going all-in to at least make the playoffs this year. They're young and might be going places for sure. As long as they don't take on too much bad money and make too many bad moves with the goal of just getting into the playoffs they could be a good team for the long haul.

With the Clippers effectively conceding this year, that opens up the bottom part of the west for a team like Sacramento or Minnesota. The Lakers will surely get in, probably work their way up to a 5 or 6 seed in a crowded conference. That leaves Utah, Sacramento, Minnesota, and maybe (though after these moves unlikely) Dallas to get the last 2 spots. Of those teams I like Utah and Sacramento the most.

8 hours ago, Pooker said:

So the Mavericks traded Harrison Barnes tonight...in the middle of their game.

In addition to that, Bobby Portis and Jabari Parker were in the locker room getting changed for the Bulls/Pelicans game when they found out they were going to Washington. Parker knew it was likely, Portis didn't and left the arena with just a backpack in a state of shock.

This really isn't a player-friendly league is it?

It really just hammers down the facts that as much as it hurts to see players like Durant, Hayward, Boogie, and now Anthony Davis jump ship from their teams, they have zero reason to be loyal to their teams because loyalty points won't count for shit when the team sees you as a step up to the hotter article the next year.

Also hurts to see the Mavericks kinda devolve into that attitude themselves, because players will remember that and I don't want to see a guy like Luka Doncic leave in 4 years because the team started playing fast and loose with the concept of loyalty.

Loyalty only works if the team has its shit together, and I don't blame a star player who has all the talent in the world to win titles stick to a team that has done little to deserve loyalty.

Its definitely a two edged street. Being a Jazz fan, it sucked being burned by Hayward with no warning at all. But, he was a free agent and free to do whatever he wanted. Do I think he should have at least let the Jazz know he wasnt going to come back instead of dragging it out? Yea, but he didn't owe the Jazz anything.

But, because of what Hayward did, the Jazz are now being almost too loyal to the players that want to be here. We didn't make any moves last summer to make ourselves better because we wanted to keep our team full of friends together. And while everybody else in the West is either making themselves better or setting themselves up for the future, the Jazz seem content to just keep what we have, despite the glaring problems that everybody else can see.

With Conley saying he would rather be traded to a team in the East instead of the Jazz, it makes it tough to want to trade a player like Rubio or Favors, who have both said that they want to stay here, are happy, play their asses off every night...but probably aren't the best fit next to Mitchell or Gobert.

That stings. Oh well, Milwaukee are my most preferred non-Raptors squad in the east.

Hope we look into the buyout market at least if we won’t make trades

EDIT: Marc Gasol to the Raps!

Can't believe we actually found someone who would take CJ!

Edited by Tyrone

Of all the assets the Grizzlies could have got for Gasol, those are certainly some of them.

EDIT: On reflection they've actually done surprisingly well out of it, and I'm surprised the Raptors were willing to give up the bench depth just for Gasol.

57 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

That stings. Oh well, Milwaukee are my most preferred non-Raptors squad in the east.

Nobody can ever change my mind that CJ Miles isn't the biggest waste of talent to ever play in the NBA.

1 hour ago, Tyrone said:

Good lord, that is certainly a trade, I guess. Gasol is so overvalued in this league.