NBA 2018-2019 Season

Pooker

I wouldn't mind if the Jazz trade for Conley, but I do not want Exum included.

In other news, the NBA has added Dwyane Wade and Dirk to the all star game roster as Special additions.  Making the game an even bigger joke then it already is.

Wade I dont mind so much. The fans voted him in as a starter and he has said its his last season.

But, Dirk hasn't said anything about this being his last season. And he's already been invited to the 3 point contest. So, why add him to the game? I'm all for honoring him, he's always been a favorite of mine to watch, but this just doesn't fit to me.

Again, the game is a joke, so I say put everybody in there. Where is Vince Carter?

9 minutes ago, Pooker said:

But, Dirk hasn't said anything about this being his last season.

Dirk can barely run down the court. Pretty sure this is it for him.

No problem at all with honorary All Star nods for vets. I just hope D'Angelo gets voted in to substitute for Oladipo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone said:

So, this is really kind of tangential, more because I watched the video in the link, but I know I come in here and play the part and talk shit as a Lakers fan, but this isn't good for the sport. It's one thing when a player comes to LA as a free agent, or even in a trade, but this forcing trades and shit, not a fan.

I can't figure out the way dominoes are falling. The Porzingis trade only makes sense under the assumption that the Knicks have done some preliminary work at signing Butler, Kyrie and/or Durant. Like otherwise why trade away your best young asset for another guard and expiring deals? I know he's had some injury history, but he wasn't going to get this massive contract anyway. Tampering is very obviously rampant in the league (Hi Rich Paul!) so if the Knicks have verbal agreements already in place with some agents then this deal doesn't look terrible. Otherwise it's just another egregious decision in a long list of egregious decisions by the James Dolan regime. The Knicks might just perpetually be bad and since they can do that while still raking in massive profits, why would an owner commit to spending the money needed for a winner?

As for the Mavs. A young core of Luka and Kristaps is the kind of stuff organizations dream about. They should complement each other perfectly. It'll be fun to watch.

Anthony Davis isn't getting moved, the fact that the Lakers best offer features guys who started on a team that just couldn't win without LeBron is a bad selling point. I know they're young and they have potential, but if you're NO why jump at that offer? There are going to be better moves you can make in the summer, none of them will involve the Lakers. I also am skeptical how he'll feel about signing with the Lakers when LeBron is almost 36. The guy isn't gonna play forever.

11 hours ago, DMN said:

So, this is really kind of tangential, more because I watched the video in the link, but I know I come in here and play the part and talk shit as a Lakers fan, but this isn't good for the sport. It's one thing when a player comes to LA as a free agent, or even in a trade, but this forcing trades and shit, not a fan.

I really think the league has to look closely at this and figure out what to do. I fully support players signing where they want for whatever amount of money they want. But it's just not good for fans, who pay a lot of their money to see the sport. If you're a fan of a small-market team, especially in the west, you already have to hope and pray for multiple perfect drafts in order to see a competitive team. Guys don't sign there, and more often than not they're fine leaving. It's not very sustainable if guys keep doing what Davis is doing. I don't really know what the league can do, maybe restrictions on how free agency is approached. I don't know. It's always been a top-heavy league because it's only had so many superstars at any given time, but that's been changing and there is so much talent in the league right now that they could actually have some level of parity if they had some restrictions in place. But I just don't know how to do it.

4 minutes ago, DMN said:

On the flip side, Davis was there for seven years, and we've seen teams like Memphis be competitive in the West during that stretch, while teams like the Lakers have been down, so some blame still has to go to the organizations.

Oh yeah I absolutely agree. The Pels mortgaged everything on some questionable decisions. It takes a bit of luck, finding undervalued guys you can get the most out of. Memphis put a team together of guys basically like that plus Conley and Marc Gasol. They were just never able to find those depth pieces in NO.

15 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

Oh yeah I absolutely agree. The Pels mortgaged everything on some questionable decisions. It takes a bit of luck, finding undervalued guys you can get the most out of. Memphis put a team together of guys basically like that plus Conley and Marc Gasol. They were just never able to find those depth pieces in NO.

I'm not saying it's easy, and, obviously a team like the Lakers have a larger safety net to work with, just in terms of money and cache, but it's doable. Honestly, most NBA teams are built through the draft. Even teams like the Lakers, historically, it's been one drafted guard who turns into a super star and then a big time center in free agency (West/Wilt, Magic/Kareem (James Worthy deserves mention, though), Kobe/Shaq then Kobe/Pau (not that Pau is on the same level as the other three, but he'll be a HOFer and is deserving of mention). San Antonio was built the same way, Jordan's Bulls, even the Warriors first title was mostly homegrown. I think the only time it's worked with free agents was the Heat.

I feel like I've basically come down on both sides of this discussion I started, lol. There are definitely changes that could be made, but it needs to be balanced so as not to chain players too tightly to bad ownership.

• Like 1

As a fan of a small market team, that notoriously has had issues with getting free agents to sign here, I am not a fan of players teaming up together or forcing a trade from a small market team. At least Davis, even though he has made claims in the past to want to stay in New Orleans, is making his intentions known. It puts the Pelicans in a horrible spot, however. No team is going to want to give up a bunch of good, young assets in exchange for a one year rental. And they clearly don't like the Lakers offer. So what are they supposed to do now? Lose their star player for nothing and compete for the lottery? Make a lopsided trade that is not in their favor?

I don't blame Davis for wanting out. New Orleans tried to put a good team around him, it might have panned out differently if Cousins hadn't gotten hurt last year, but that's the game. Hopefully they don't end up in too bad of a position but it's looking like they will.