2017 NFL Season Thread

Maxx

3 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

That's what I thought too originally but I feel like the kind of people who think the flag is being disrespected are going to think the same thing here with the Steelers

Yeah, if the iconophilia of the American flag and anthem is more important than the actual living people's rights, democracy, the right to peaceful protest, etc. then I'm done. If not disrespecting a piece of cloth is more important than taking a knee for the rights and freedom of your peers, colleagues and millions more then I'm done.

I just can't accept joining arms as enough. It's a token gesture for fear of being pariahed in their football circles. Urgh. Just take the knee.

I also suspect I wouldn't be as bothered if at least one white guy had taken a knee. Or a few. I mean holy fuck, show some humanity and show the world human rights are more important than a fucking flag.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pooker said:

Ravens look like they forgot what football is on the trip to London. 

I think I saw a few white players linking arms while standing. I know the Ravens coach was.

As above, linking arms is tokenism. All that says to me is they have chosen NOT to kneel.

9 minutes ago, The Chiksrara Special said:

Tomlin actually said "We're just here to play Football not play politics"

Yeah fuck that man

He also said that they choose to do it so their players aren't forced to take sides.

As for linking arms, I actually think it's better than kneeling. Kneeling, to me, is extremely disrespectful to the men and women who have served our country and protected our rights. Unless you've served, you shouldn't kneel. I think linking arms together shows a much better sign of equity and unity.

I'm not gonna condemn people who are uncomfortable with kneeling.  Doing that is just going to make things even more divisive.

I mean if people want to kneel, great.  But kneeling, linking arms, or no-showing the anthem altogether are all fine by me.  It's the people who choose to do absolutely nothing that are the ones being complicit.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Playing the anthem before every game is daft anyway. 

Can you imagine if we had it in England. Think everyone would be fuming before every match.

Jaguars have absolutely spanked the Ravens here, and keep looking like they're going to keep scoring. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Buschy Heenan said:

I'm not gonna condemn people who are uncomfortable with kneeling.  Doing that is just going to make things even more divisive.

I mean if people want to kneel, great.  But kneeling, linking arms, or no-showing the anthem altogether are all fine by me.  It's the people who choose to do absolutely nothing that are the ones being complicit.

I just think it's so weak to hide in the locker room. If you aren't going to kneel fine but at least come out and stand then. They want to have it both ways and that's cowardly

But it's league rules that both teams have to be on the field during the anthem.  Not showing up is still sending a message, I feel.

One thing I'm quick to point out to people complaining about the anthem being "disrespected" is that every time that virtually every American sports team violates US Flag Code on a regular basis.  Anytime you see a flag unfurled on the field?  Against code.  Any time you see a flag decal on a helmet or uniform?  Against code.  And it goes on like this.  But demonstrating during the anthem is apparently too far for people.

Apparently in a show of protest, the Ravens decided to not take the field

• Haha 5

26 minutes ago, Buschy Heenan said:

I wonder if any fans are sitting too.  I'd say I'd sit if I were at the game, but you wouldn't be able to pay me enough to go to an Eagles game in Giants gear.

Few years ago I got offered free tickets to an Eagles/Patriots game from my uncle.  Was tickets for a suite too.  Only problem?  My girlfriend at the time was a Patriots fan.  I reluctantly turned the tickets down because I was afraid of getting my ass kicked when the Eagles lost

• Like 1