2020 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

3 minutes ago, Meacon say “Hi People!” said:

And I get that if they weren’t in the QB market. If they want to give Mitch another year or sign a transitional vet to start a year, then whatever.

But you can’t say that and then turn around and trade for Nick Foles with his contract. 

100%.  I don't think Foles is anywhere near the answer either.  Though to play devil's advocate, Jaguars signed him to a very team friendly deal IIRC (it was lucrative but with enough loopholes to get out easy) and he would likely be easier to cut bait on next year than Bridgewater.  But I don't think either one is that worthwhile of an investment.

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Pooker said:

I don't like that Buckner trade.

San Fran have also given Arik Armstead a mammoth five-year deal today - so I imagine that the numbers totted up more easily in keeping him than they did for Buckner. It was a case of one or the other, I guess.

I imagine that's that sorted, Coronavirus allowing.

8 minutes ago, Pooker said:

I don't like that Buckner trade.

I'm not a big fan either but it does create some more flexibility financially. And they were apparently very far apart on an extension. 

2 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

Buckner is the 2nd highest paid DT in the league but I'd guess he's not the 2nd best DT in the league, probably why he and SF couldn't come to an agreement.

He's definitely close. 

6 minutes ago, damsher hatfield said:

He's really good but (and it's an inexact science) PFF doesn't have him in that tier of players you give all that money to. Armstead had a higher player grade than Buckner last season.

Buckner has been incredibly consistent (and healthy). This was Armstead's first good year. 

Ultimately I get it, they weren't close on terms of the deal and they create some more flexibility by doing the trade. I just bought a new Niners jersey last year though and it was Buckner so I personally hate to see it. Even if I know it makes sense for othe reasons. 

Ramon Foster has retired. Not only a great guard but a great person, played almost every game since 2012, and chose to retire rather than play for another team whilst also allowing the Steelers to save 4 mill in cap space.