College Football 2020

Lineker

2 hours ago, damshow said:

Not sure if that's a good hire there.

From what I’ve heard, sports talk down there and Vols message boards are not pleased. @GhostMachinewould probably be more accurate (the hell I say) in that regard.

I definitely think it’s a wait-and-see hire but I’m leaning more toward the “He’ll be fired within four years” camp. It’s just such a tough division within an even tougher conference and they have absolutely nothing going for them at the moment.

• Like 1

This is great to see. Love what he's done at Northwestern and hope he can ride out the rest of his career there. 8-9 wins a year plus bowl games are the ceiling for that program and he's gotten them there with regularity.

I really think the only NFL job he'd go for is the Bears and that one didn't open up this year. Maybe in a few years circumstances change. But overall I'm happy he's not using success at NW to jump into a big money job where he'd get fired after 4 years due to only winning 8 games a year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Meacon Keaton said:

From what I’ve heard, sports talk down there and Vols message boards are not pleased. @GhostMachinewould probably be more accurate (the hell I say) in that regard.

I definitely think it’s a wait-and-see hire but I’m leaning more toward the “He’ll be fired within four years” camp. It’s just such a tough division within an even tougher conference and they have absolutely nothing going for them at the moment.

2 hours ago, Maxx said:

It's Tennessee, not sure they are capable of making a good hire.

The school has a new athletic director. The athletic director before Fulmer was an idiot, and in regards to Fulmer `retiring', he didn't want the job long term and had to take what he could get as far as picking a coach was concerned.

I agree somewhat with Meacon's assessment, but not with the fans who aren't pleased. Keep in mind a lot of those fans want(ed) Hugh Freeze, who resigned from Ole Miss in shame for doing the same thing Pruitt was fired for, except Ole Miss also had to forfeit wins. Some have even suggested bringing Lane Kiffin back. 

Sure, the new AD is just bringing the coach he had with him, but he had winning records all 3 years he coached. Pruitt had no coaching experience whatsover. Butch Jones had 2 MAC and 2 Big East championships before he coached here, but it was also painfully obvious that he didn't give a damn as long as he was getting paid. 

I will say it again: I thought firing Fulmer as the head coach was a mistake. And the school/team will continue paying for that mistake for a long time to come. 

Truthfully, they need someone with SEC coaching experience, whether its as a head coach or a coordinator. But that actually has head coaching experience. Hugh Freeze shouldn't even be considered. Neither should Les `More lucky than good' Miles. Hell, get Bobby Petrino. Just don't let him have any females on his staff.....

*edited add* Pruitt would have been owed something like $12 milllion if they had to do a buy out, but he (and his staff) was fired with cause for the recruiting violations. His lawyers have hinted they might sue for the money. If he does sue, I hope the school has a forensic accountant figure how just how much damage he has done, and countersue him for every damn dime of it. Its definitely going to hurt recruiting badly, and the school has lost committments as well as players entering the transfer portal. 

Edited by GhostMachine

On 27/01/2021 at 11:56, Meacon Keaton said:

An acquaintance of mine, Tennessee grad and hopeless Vols fan, says that most Vols fans are delusional in general.  They'd find reason to complain if they hired anyone other than Saban or Dabo.

Edited by Lowerdeck
  • Like 1

On 31/01/2021 at 19:59, Lowerdeck said:

An acquaintance of mine, Tennessee grad and hopeless Vols fan, says that most Vols fans are delusional in general.  They'd find reason to complain if they hired anyone other than Saban or Dabo.

Your friend is exactly right. The delusional ones believe that the team is an upper tier team, and have unreasonable expectations when it comes to everything: Coaching, recruiting, and winning. Firing Fulmer as head coach turned them into a joke, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

3 hours ago, Meacon Keaton said:

oh my fing god om hy ging fod

i am the happiest i've been since my kids were born and even then it's close

I love you even more for this post mate.

I haven't played Madden since whatever the lock out year was and the Eagles signed Nmandi at CB and everyone was touting us to be Super Bowl contenders but were absolutely ass. I just lost interest in pro football games.

NCAA though? I'll buy that on release day, with a probable pre-order.

Hindsight is 20-20. Most of us fans - including the non-delusionalones - expected the team to actually be worth a damn this past season based on how they did the year before and the incoming recruits, not a joke. I have no expectations at all for the next season or two.

What if we walled Alabama off and forced them to like, only play other teams in Alabama? While we're at it, why don't we wall Tommy Tuberville in too?

33 minutes ago, Meacon Keaton said:

For those worried Alabama’s run may run dry, they just finalized the most highly rated recruiting class of all time. 7 5-stars and 15-4 stars.

Honestly Alabama football is one of the most unlikable franchises in sports, I can't imagine finding myself rooting for them in any reasonable scenario

1 hour ago, Meacon Keaton said:

For those worried Alabama’s run may run dry, they just finalized the most highly rated recruiting class of all time. 7 5-stars and 15-4 stars.

Again, Alabama recruiting is a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point.  Guaranteed heavy national exposure, damn near guaranteed playoff berths, and with that a very high probability of winning at least one championship in your career all en route to seeing a lot of your teammates go in the first round of the draft.

Yeah some kids might turn them down because they have their hearts set on other schools due to emotional ties, location, easier to jump right into a starting role, etc.  But they can land the majority of their targets every year and are recruiting on rookie mode.

Alabama's recruits boil down to three types. Players with NFL aspirations who are willing to ride the pine potentially for 2-3 years, players with NFL aspirations who will transfer if they see someone their age or younger jump ahead of them on the depth chart, and kids from around the southeast who are good at football and want to win.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed it before the Super Bowl, but Wiki Wormhole (a feature on AVClub) did an entry about the largest blowout in American football history.

Are you ready for some football? Because in 1916, Cumberland College was decidedly not, as in the leather-helmet era of football, when 6-0 was considered a rousing game, the Cumberland Bulldogs lost to the Georgia Tech Engineers by a remarkable 222-0, still the most lopsided game in the history of football. To put things in perspective, the biggest blowout in NFL history was when Chicago beat Washington 73-0 in the 1940 title game.