NFL 2020

Lineker

Basically, yeah.

Though the 49ers did also get one of the best LBs in the league in Fred Warner with the 2018 3rd that the Bears sent them. Otherwise got Solomon Thomas and Dante Pettis. Thomas turned into a solid rotation guy (could have maybe been more this year even but the torn ACL derailed that) but Pettis has been disappointing. 

They ended up trading the 2017 3rd they got from the Bears to the Saints who drafted Kamara with that pick though. 

2017 is a fun one to look at from a historical redraft perspective.  The general rules with those are that you know how every player pans out and everyone stays in their original spot when the draft started.

Cleveland takes Mahomes at #1 because, well, it's Mahomes.  But then San Fran probably grabs Watson at #2 leaving Chicago to pick between the likes of CMC, Kamara, Jamal Adams, or Myles Garrett.  If they take the latter, that means Khalil Mack probably doesn't wind up in Chicago a year later.  Not to mention the Pats eventually trading Jimmy G somewhere else that fall.

Trying to think what the best redraft years are and 2017 is up there because of all the trades and how top heavy the talent is with the best players. 2012 is another great one because you have to decide between Luck or Wilson going number 1. Then you can just jettison Trent Richardson from the draft and Cleveland gets Kuechly or Stephon Gilmore. Also where does Justin Tucker get drafted (he was UDFA)?

2012 is a great one.  On one hand it feels like an easy call for Wilson since he's been consistently great, durable, has won a ring and came one ill-advised pass away from winning a second.  On the other hand, we never got to see what Luck could do behind an OL that didn't get him killed every year, and he could very well still be playing football if not for that.

If the Colts had had a decent OL, we'd have seen what Luck could do somewhere other than Indianapolis. Because lack of a decent OL is how Peyton Manning's neck got fucked up in the first place. If he hadn't had the neck injury, I don't believe the Colts would have drafted Luck and let Peyton go. And Peyton would probably have one more SB ring if he hadn't gotten injured.

Oh 100%, Polian had a half decade of disastrous drafts and it almost ended Manning's career early. It cost Jim Caldwell his job. And then the GM they brought in to replace him, Ryan Grigson, made zero effort to improve the line and let Luck take way too many unnecessary injuries. It's a shame. Good for Luck for getting out with most of his health though, he owed no one anything.

And I do agree if we really got to see what Luck could do on a well-run franchise it'd be a great all-time debate between he and Wilson.

It's really hard to make an argument against Wilson but you look at what Luck was doing his first 3 years in the league and wonder just how great he could have been. He'd surely have had an MVP season and a 50+ TD season by now if the injuries didn't derail him.

3 minutes ago, JMarushin said:

Speaking of 2012 what about RGIII - he definitely wasn't a slouch, would a different situation seen him fare any better in a redraft situation?

If Shanahan didn't send him out there to die in the playoffs I think a lot could have changed. Hell, ideally Shanahan wasn't the coach he got and someone more willing to use him how he should be used would be his coach. He had a great rookie season and with the right coaching would have cleaned up the holes in his game and become so much more. He's one of those guys, with the ascendence of Lamar and Wilson constantly getting better, that really give you pause about how great they could have been with the right team.

• Like 1

Redoing some of these bust picks like Trent Richardson and Justin Blackmon would make a big change too! A what-if scenario for Minnesota could have been picking RGIII at 4 and jettisoning Christian Ponder

10 minutes ago, JMarushin said:

Redoing some of these bust picks like Trent Richardson and Justin Blackmon would make a big change too! A what-if scenario for Minnesota could have been picking RGIII at 4 and jettisoning Christian Ponder

The name Christian Ponder always reminds me of this amazing submission from the Vikes 2015 WYTS.

I’ll never forget the Vikings drafting Christian Ponder. By the time it was our pick I knew there were no good quarterbacks left. I could not believe it when I heard them call that stupid motherfucker’s name. My friend, who’s a professional sports bettor, just sighed and said, “sorry man”. I then get a ring on my phone, it’s my dad. I answer the call, put the phone to my ear, and in the smuggest fucking voice I’ve ever heard, all my dad says is: “We’ve got our guy”.

Goddammit.

• Haha 1