NFL 2020

Lineker

• Admin

The NFL has issued another strong warning to coaches who won't wear masks on the sideline during games, threatening suspensions and forfeiture of draft picks as punishment for failing to comply with COVID-19 game-day protocols, according to a league memo obtained Wednesday by ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The strongly worded memo, sent to coaches, general managers and team executives by NFL executive vice president Troy Vincent, includes a passage in which the NFL says it will "address lack of compliance with accountability measures that may include ... suspensions and/or forfeiture of draft picks."

It marks the second time this month that the NFL has warned coaches to comply with coronavirus-related protocols by wearing a mask on the sideline.

The league has already fined four head coaches this season -- Las Vegas' Jon Gruden, New Orleans' Sean Payton, Denver's Vic Fangio and the Rams' Sean McVay -- for not wearing masks on the sideline during games.

"Both our own and independent medical advisors have emphasized the need to remain vigilant and disciplined in following the processes and protocols put in place by agreement with the NFLPA as well as by state and local governments," Vincent wrote in the memo.

"We are only through Week 3 of the season. If we are to play a full and uninterrupted season, we all must remain committed to our efforts to mitigate the risk of transmission of the virus. Inconsistent adherence to health and safety protocols ... will put the 2020 season at risk."

During Monday night's game against Kansas City, Ravens coach John Harbaugh was seen with his mask covering lowered while arguing with line judge Mark Steinkerchner about a tripping penalty on tight end Nick Boyle.

"I know we really try our best," Harbaugh said. "I compare with what we do here with the masks and all of the protocols with anybody -- just not in the National Football League, but anywhere in the world.

"We have been, for all three games, really good on the sideline. I don't think there is anybody better than us, me or our staff, from the beginning of the game to the end of the game. To think in a three-hour heated competitive environment -- especially when you're yelling -- that your mask isn't going to fall down for 5 to 10 seconds, I don't think anybody could be held to that standard."

More positive tests have come in on the Titans and plans to play the Steelers on Monday or Tuesday have been scrapped.  The game has now been pushed to "later in the season".

Titans' bye is on Week 7, when the Steelers are playing the Ravens who are both off Week 8.  There could be a swap somewhere in there doing Steelers/Titans on Week 7 and Steelers/Ravens in week 8.  But the Steelers get screwed the most by being forced into a Week 4 bye.

The NFL is fortunate that the schedule worked out the way it did.  The Steelers have a legitimate gripe to suddenly be saddled with am unscheduled Week 4 bye and now have to play 13 straight, but there was always going to have to be schedule maneuvering to get 16 games in during a pandemic.

The only other option I can think of is push the start of the playoffs back a week and you do a Week 18 which will feature Titans/Steelers and any other games that end up getting postponed (and let's be real, there's no way there won't be another postponement somnewhere...you just hope it doesn't involve teams that have already postponed games).

You could do all that and still keep the Super Bowl on the schedule day by chopping off the extra week.  Yeah it means some/most of the playoff teams will get a week of rest while Week 18 teams who are playoff bound don't get that luxury or maybe have to play to get into a spot at all, but again, there's gonna have to be give and take if they're going to fit all 269 games in.