Premier League 2020/21

METALMAN

Just now, Benjamin said:

How the fuck were we top of the league at Christmas? A completely different team on the other side of it. Careless, reckless, forgot what a goal looks like. By the end of it we might need to win the UCL to qualify next season. Motherfucker.

Because in terms of a normal season, it was mid-November.

Just now, Hobo said:

by who? Literally can't see who was playing him on?

Bobby F. Thing with VAR decisions is that you can disagree with subjective ones, but offside is offside. And it was his foot that played him on, so wasn’t even one of these daft onside by a sleeve margins. 

• Like 1

If we're giving that goal as onside then Mane should be given a foul for getting blatantly pushed over in the build up to the 2nd goal 

Doesn't excuse the fact we completely collapsed mentally after that onside goal was given. 

But VAR and the state of officiating in this league is utter tripe

11 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

Bobby F. Thing with VAR decisions is that you can disagree with subjective ones, but offside is offside. And it was his foot that played him on, so wasn’t even one of these daft onside by a sleeve margins. 

If this is the case then they should choose better angles to communicate this rather than high, oblique, angles. There's an ability to do 360 rotations of goals for TV replays but for VAR we have to rely on stuff that looks like the Zapruder film by comparison.

Just horseshit. The moment the ref blew the whistle you could tell we looked like we might fuck things up. Just that this season we seem to want to show how well we can fuck things up by taking it to the extreme.

God only knows where Karius got that Alisson voodoo doll, but my god, its some quality.

1 minute ago, Benjamin said:

God only knows where Karius got that Alisson voodoo doll, but my god, its some quality.

more on Kabak than Alisson that one. If Kabak leaves it to the keeper he clears it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hobo said:

more on Kabak than Alisson that one. If Kabak leaves it to the keeper he clears it.

Alisson should have been shouting for Kabak to get out of the way if he wanted to get there, because if not Kabak had it covered, IMO. Either way, you could see there was zero communication between the two.  

Tbh my biggest concern is rather than blaming one or the other I'm blaming the whole team. So mentally weak.

Yeh they got a goal which some will say onside, some will say offside. But they just mentally flapped it after that. Last year we ground out results and we were able to overcome adversity in matches. This year moment something goes wrong everyone's head has gone. 

Injuries don't help. Questionable decisions don't help. But we have turned the corner somewhat on playing shite and not winning to doing the old Liverpool of playing well and not winning. 

Genuinely worried we won't finish top 4 and I know it's not a normal season due to the fixture congestion and virtually every game has had no fans. But we badly need to finish in the top 4. We had a chance to build on something after the title win and we made two squad additions really in Thiago and Jota but look at our bench and in reality it's shite

The state of VAR and officiating is genuinely impacting upon any enjoyment I have. It's not even just in matches involving my team, there's absolutely no consistency with decisions or accountability whatsoever.

• Like 1

Just because the Merseyside derby one was iffy as fuck, doesn’t make today’s any less correct though. Didn’t they also change the implementation of the sleeve thing after the Mane one? Not like they haven’t made changes when things haven’t worked as planned.

1 minute ago, Cymbols said:

Just because the Merseyside derby one was iffy as fuck, doesn’t make today’s any less correct though. Didn’t they also change the implementation of the sleeve thing after the Mane one? Not like they haven’t made changes when things haven’t worked as planned.

Those are just 2 examples though because I had them. There are still plenty of examples since then of the same "wtf" decisions like Bamford and Ings being offside for the same thing Amartey was seemingly offside for. You're missing the entire point. There appears to be no consistency with VAR/referees because there either isn't any, or, they get to see things that we do not because there is no transparency.

2 minutes ago, Cymbols said:

Doesn't exactly help teams who have been impacted upon by that decision to then have it changed after that match. 

Again no consistency and I'd bet that in another game this season if a similar incident as today occurs I could see it being given as offside. Because there is no consistency

1 minute ago, It's Pronounced Zoom-E said:

Those are just 2 examples though because I had them. There are still plenty of examples since then of the same "wtf" decisions like Bamford and Ings being offside for the same thing Amartey was seemingly offside for. You're missing the entire point. There appears to be no consistency with VAR/referees because there either isn't any, or, they get to see things that we do not because there is no transparency.

Agreed on transparency, would like to hear the VAR officials on broadcast, like in the rugby. And lack of consistency is probably just the different officials interpreting it differently. As much as the VAR debate devolves into people slagging off technology, it is still a human making the decision. 

Just now, DavidMarrio said:

Doesn't exactly help teams who have been impacted upon by that decision to then have it changed after that match. 

Again no consistency and I'd bet that in another game this season if a similar incident as today occurs I could see it being given as offside. Because there is no consistency

Not wrong, like, the Villa had the offside rule changed after the City game so I get where you’re coming from. But unless they start retrospectively changing in-game decisions after the fact (which thankfully I don’t think will happen), what else can they do? Either you change the rule so that it doesn’t happen again, or you don’t change it, and a potentially flawed rule remains in place. 

The issue at heart is that unlike goal line technology VAR requires humans to actually apply it.

And it's Premier League referees who are mostly awful to begin with. It's just additional blokes who aren't very good at their jobs applying rules that I don't believe are intended to be applied to frame-by-frame microanalysis.

It's wild the people on the pitch can accept something is offside but a bloke in a room with a video feed can rule something offisde but the evidence supplied to support doesn't seem to support their claim.

14 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

Tbh my biggest concern is rather than blaming one or the other I'm blaming the whole team. So mentally weak.

I honestly think they've just been beaten down by a season that's been incredibly unlucky for them all round. There's so much of them not getting the rub of the green in games this season.

• Like 1