Premier League 2020/21

METALMAN

It’s just a complete mental breakdown. And we look so shambolic at the back. It is so easy to cut through our defense and we have to huff and puff to get one fucking goal. Teams know now to just sit back on the edge of their six yard box and crowd us then loft one up to our end, we’ll make mistakes as teams often do and they’ll capitalise because we only have two to three bodies there to support.

It doesn’t help that every time we think we’re going to get a positive result in a game we sub Jones off and shit goes off the rails.

Also I really like Thiago as a player but instead of getting the next Xabi Alonso we seem to have gotten the next Charlie Adam 😒

I'd be somewhat wary about labelling clear mental burnout as 'mentally weak'. This is a team that trounced all before them for two seasons, to call them mentally weak is ridiculous short-termism.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Kyle. said:

This shit is so scripted, Anfield derby around the corner, Liverpool playing badly, "oh surely this is the year", "oh look Pickford has dropped the ball on Origi's head in the 95th".

Origi would miss that chance this season. He's gone back to being a dreadful footballer again.

3 minutes ago, Kyle. said:

This shit is so scripted, Anfield derby around the corner, Liverpool playing badly, "oh surely this is the year", "oh look Pickford has dropped the ball on Origi's head in the 95th".

Probably be Ali bumbling one onto DCL's arse or something 

Wouldn't be surprised if Everton finally win at Anfield 

10 minutes ago, Gazz said:

I'd be somewhat wary about labelling clear mental burnout as 'mentally weak'. This is a team that trounced all before them for two seasons, to call them mentally weak is ridiculous short-termism.

Agreed.

Recently, on a podcast, I heard someone make the point that in the last 2 league seasons Liverpool have had what in any other era of English football would have been back to back title winning seasons. Plus winning the Champions League. We saw how City, last season, lost 9 games for the first time in years. Going that hard for that long is going to take it's toll. That is a long time playing at a really high level.

Add to that key injuries, add to that the global pandemic which means rest they're not able to leave their houses except to go to work. And some of them are married or have partners and kids but others are single. There is a complex mix of factors at play.

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

Recently, on a podcast, I heard someone make the point that in the last 2 league seasons Liverpool have had what in any other era of English football would have been back to back title winning seasons.

Not sure I follow this, is this a "if hitting the post was a goal" thing?

• Haha 5

57 minutes ago, Colly said:

Not sure I follow this, is this a "if hitting the post was a goal" thing?

No. The point was Liverpool were playing at an exceptionally high level for two seasons getting 97 and 99 points in the league. 

The point being made was not some wild "Oh if Man City didn't exist Liverpool would've won the league" thing. It was pointing out just how the level of performance has been in the last 2 seasons. Because they have been freakishly high. The kind of form that generally wins you leagues.

We can compare that with Man City following two seasons where they got record points totals of 100 and 98 points repectively (and retained the Premier League which is something that hardly ever happens anymore). Then  experiencing a drop off in the third season and losing 9 league games.

For their part, Liverpool have maintained 2 seasons worth of league winning form. Now they're experiencing a drop off.

Like, I get the absurdity of the "if hitting the posts was a goal" (and I think it was even me who brought that up in the first place and it sounds absurd because it was absurd how often Liverpool hit the post that season, tbh - that's kinda the point of that whole statement :P  ).

The point here is to stop and say: holy shit this team has been freakishly good for 2 seasons and we should keep that in mind now as they struggle in their third. Because nobody can keep that level up for 3 seasons running. We even have a recent example in Man City who had the exact same problem last year.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hobo said:

No. The point was Liverpool were playing at an exceptionally high level for two seasons getting 97 and 99 points in the league. 

The point being made was not some wild "Oh if Man City didn't exist Liverpool would've won the league" thing. It was pointing out just how the level of performance has been in the last 2 seasons. Because they have been freakishly high. The kind of form that generally wins you leagues.

We can compare that with Man City following two seasons where they got record points totals of 100 and 98 points repectively (and retained the Premier League which is something that hardly ever happens anymore). Then  experiencing a drop off in the third season and losing 9 league games.

For their part, Liverpool have maintained 2 seasons worth of league winning form. Now they're experiencing a drop off.

Like, I get the absurdity of the "if hitting the posts was a goal" (and I think it was even me who brought that up in the first place and it sounds absurd because it was absurd how often Liverpool hit the post that season, tbh - that's kinda the point of that whole statement :P  ).

The point here is to stop and say: holy shit this team has been freakishly good for 2 seasons and we should keep that in mind now as they struggle in their third. Because nobody can keep that level up for 3 seasons running. We even have a recent example in Man City who had the exact same problem last year.

Sorry it genuinely wasn't a jokey response, I just didn't get it. I think "any other era of English football" is a bit of a stretch though, it's not the first time two teams have been good and I think just putting stock in points tallies is misleading. Without question though Liverpool have been superb.

Fuck sake Pep, I wanted an Ederson pen.

The issue with Jose in big games is that you always felt that whilst you may shithouse your way to a 1-0/narrow victory, his style against them almost always guaranteed that it'd be close if the result was in your favour.

Granted Jose's Spurs smashed us at OT in a big game but it's not really the norm.

2 hours ago, 9 to 5 said:

Quote from F365. Very fair view imo.

Thing is we've tried to adapt but it's not working. Honestly think the sooner we can get Henderson and Fabinho back into centre mid the better as we won a lot of games by winning the ball high up the pitch. 

That and stop being shit will help

3 hours ago, Lineker said:

One of the commentators is breathing really loudly. It's almost as annoying as Glenn Hoddle sniffing constantly the other night.

Must have been hanging out with Lamela 

1 hour ago, Baddar said:

The issue with Jose in big games is that you always felt that whilst you may shithouse your way to a 1-0/narrow victory, his style against them almost always guaranteed that it'd be close if the result was in your favour.

Granted Jose's Spurs smashed us at OT in a big game but it's not really the norm.

There was a period where Jose changed though like when he was first at Chelsea the attacking play was great. Just had no fear in big games. 

Then he changed into a mindset of I don't want to get to beat