2021 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

This isn't progressing as quickly as I wanted it to.

@Lineker give me an immediate ranking, I'll put together a weighted lottery based on that preference.  It's like the highly evolved form of your hat pick.

1 hour ago, Maxx said:

@Meacon Keaton you are the foremost college football authority, please sell Lineker on why Matt Rhule's Panthers are a good option to follow.

No joke on nothing, if I was to “change teams” or jumping into the sport for the first time, I would absolutely pick the Panthers. I love Rhule and the culture he brings and CMac is so much fun to watch, even when you’re not a fan. They’re not a franchise that’ll leave you hopeless as they have gone to a couple Super Bowls in our lifetimes and they’re on the East coast so they tend to play a lot of 1:00PM games which is nice since you’re in England?

Hows that’s?

• Thanks 1

Green Bay would frankly be nuts to not take the 3rd overall from SF for Rodgers if that trade were on the table. And I'm hesitant to say SF would be better off taking a QB there than trading for Rodgers who might still be good for another 5 years or more with the way modern sports medicine is.

29 minutes ago, damshow said:

Yeah but SF would have to move heaven and earth to get Rodgers's cap hit to work. Isn't a huge reason they want to get a rookie QB is to reduce the cap hit as they pay big money to all their other vets?

No they'd basically just have to cut Jimmy. They're comfortably under the cap with him on it. They had assumed there would be issues bringing everybody back but their veteran FAs didn't have as big of a market as they thought so everybody but Sherman is basically back. 

4 minutes ago, damshow said:

Interesting, I thought SF's cap situation was worse. They really should make it happen. I guess Denver has the ammo too.

Yeah if Richburg hadn't retired and Dee Ford hadn't re-done his deal, they'd have been in way worse shape but they figure it out and are still around $18M under the cap without factoring in doing anything with Jimmy. 

Just now, Lineker said:
  1. Bills
  2. Browns
  3. Panthers
  4. 49ers
  5. Dolphins

Probably.

Would getting Rodgers help or hurt the 49ers stock? <_<

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lineker said:
  1. Bills
  2. Browns
  3. Panthers
  4. 49ers
  5. Dolphins

Probably.

Are you ready to commit to this?  There will be a higher percentage chance given to the Bills and Browns, but that doesn’t guarantee they will come out #1.   

Are you prepared to seal your fate!?

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Buschie Kay said:

A hypothetical scenario in which the Niners are on the clock at #3 only for it to turn to the Packers logo as a Rodgers trade is announced would make for one of the more dramatic draft moments of all time.

Interestingly, this went up on PFT earlier: 

Everyone knows that Trevor Lawrence will be the first pick in the draft, and that Zach Wilson will be the second selection. No one knows that the 49ers will do with the third overall pick.

The league wants to keep it that way, for as long as possible.

Per a league source, the NFL is pressing the 49ers to keep their pick under wraps for as long as possible. The obvious goal is to maximize the TV ratings for the moment when the Commissioner announces San Francisco’s selection.

And that’s fine. The league once again has asked all network partners to not tip the draft picks, in order to preserve the suspense for the moment the Commissioner makes the announcement. Why not instruct one (or more) of the teams to zip it regarding their draft plans?

Taking it a step farther, look for the networks televising the draft to push the mystery narrative as well. And why wouldn’t they? There’s no reason for anyone at ESPN or NFL Network to definitively report what the 49ers will do at No. 3, even if their reporters know.

Does that satisfy the mission to best inform the audience? Nope. Sometimes, however, that doesn’t matter.

1 minute ago, Maxx said:

Are you ready to commit to this?  There will be a higher percentage chance given to the Bills and Browns, but that doesn’t guarantee they will come out #1.   

Are you prepared to seal your fate!?

Sure.

Unless I end up veto-ing it. <_< 

I think it's fine for the networks to keep the picks under wraps.  I mean in the case when there's an incredibly obvious #1 pick it's fine to show him getting the phone call but everyone else should be a surprise.  It's more fun.

That said, beat writers typically get the picks several minutes before they're announced, especially if there is a backlog in making the announcements.  You can't expect them to not say the picks as that goes against the spirit of the news....but it's amusing to see people complain about it.  Stay the hell off of Twitter if you don't want spoilers.

17 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Interestingly, this went up on PFT earlier: 

Sure.

Unless I end up veto-ing it. <_< 

You get one re-do and that's it!  Now then, enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2