2021 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

Feels like Giants Twitter is going to melt down if they take Kwity Paye, with everyone citing that he had only 11.5 sacks over four years of college.  I mean I get it, if we go edge I'd prefer it be in a trade back scenario but it's not like edge isn't a glaring need on the roster.  And I think referencing the lack of production isn't the most fair thing since he barely got to play last year due to COVID.

Dan Duggan who is one of the Giants beat writers I trust most says that he still can't bring himself to rule out Christian Barmore.  Considering he's an interior defensive lineman and how often I see him mocked in the late 20s, taking him at #11 is probably the one pick they can make tonight that would piss me off.

16 minutes ago, damshow said:

Size is definite important for a WR depending on their playing style but I don't think weight is as big as height. Guys like Smith will naturally bulk up as they get older. But a 5'9" WR isn't ever getting taller.

Exactly, when I heard he had size concerns I was assuming he was like 5'8 160, but dude is 6'0, while not exactly Megatron or Boldin, that's pretty ideal for a WR. I can't find any holes in his game either, seemed like everything is there (good hands, good speed, good route runner, smart, tough, hard worker, etc). Wouldn't even be shocked if in five years he's the best of this class. 

160 lbs at any height in the NFL is slightly concerning because players that light have a hard time staying on the field. His closest current day comp is Will Fuller (and even he's listed 175-180 lbs but more than likely lighter) and as talented as he is, he's yet to play a full season. 

It's not that he won't or can't be good, it's just fair to question whether guys with that frame can truly handle the rigors of the game. Add in his inability or unwillingness to put on any weight during the pre-draft process or even participate in any pro day drills and I get why he'd slide a bit. 

Yeah, I just looked him up too. 6' 1'' and 175 lbs makes him 3 inches taller than Tyreek Hill and about 10 lbs lighter. He's not as fast (obviously). A 4.49 40 isn't awful though. 

14 minutes ago, DFF said:

Yeah, I just looked him up too. 6' 1'' and 175 lbs makes him 3 inches taller than Tyreek Hill and about 10 lbs lighter. He's not as fast (obviously). A 4.49 40 isn't awful though. 

Well and supposedly his weight at the combine medical check-in was 166 lbs. so even lighter than people initially thought. That's why it's so strange he hasn't really done anything to change the narrative about his frame. I don't necessarily blame him, it's just so unusual by normal pre-draft process standards. 

I could make a case for Giants to take a WR with just Kenny G and Shepard's injury past alone. Plus John Ross isn't the most consistent WR and Slayton has been up and down. 

Either way, all I want are 5 QBs to go in the Top 10 and let the pieces fall how they may. 

6 hours ago, Lineker said:

I am genuinely open to Maxx's idea. Really. But it would be nice to be able to go into tonight with some vested interest.

Way to wait until the last minute!

Based on your list I would say Bills or Dolphins are your top tier.  Young teams finally free from having to deal with Brady holding down the division.  In the Bills you get Josh Allen, fun players, ticks that DeShaun Watson box for excitement.  

The Dolphins you get probably more investment in tonight’s draft.  Maybe they grab a stud receiver to pair with Tua.  They also own a bunch of your old team’s picks, so that’s a fun poke in the eye to the Texans on your way out the door.

Fuck the Packers and Steelers.  

Falcons are a ticket to misery, can’t advise that.  If you were going to pick the Falcons you might as well pick the Bengals, get in early on Burrow’s career instead of hoping in at the end of Ryan’s and Julio’s (who could be on the move, what a terrible omen that would be for you if you pick them and he’s traded right afterwards.

Second tier is probably Panthers, 49ers and Browns.  You are unlikely to ever actually want Browns merch.  But Baker and Chubb are fun players.  There is great potential for misery here though.  

49ers?  Hey you get to jump in on a new QB but it’s either not so exciting Mac Jones or wow this could go real bad Trey Lance.  But Kyle Shanahan’s offenses are fun to watch and George Kittle is great.

The Panthers?  I mean sure, why not?  Owner isn’t a shitbag, isn’t afraid of spending money and Matt Rhule is an interesting coach.  Christian McCafferey is electric.  This is a team that is right in the middle of redefining itself though.  You could be getting in on the ground floor of something great!  Or something middle of the road.  Still, an underrated option, lot of upside potential here, could go a lot of different directions.

Saints?  Ehh if Watson being a sexual predator is a turn off, I can’t recommend jumping to the team led by Jameis Winston.

Seahawks?  When Russell is allowed to do Russell things it’s very exciting.  DK Metcalf is a beast.  But who knows how long Russell will be there?  Want to wade into another potential coach/front office vs player fight?   But you do get to talk Seahawks football with resident superfan @GoGo Yubari 

Now, I took the liberty of removing the Steelers and Packers.  Assuming you agree with my assessments here, we will also remove the Saints, Seahawks and Falcons.  So @Lineker that narrows down your choices to 

Bills

Dolphins

Browns

49ers

Panthers

I’m sure I can find 4 other people join me in making a quick pitch on those 5 teams if you would like to proceed.

• Like 2

I'd be all in on the Bills.  I thought Josh Allen was gonna be a big bust in the NFL but he's completely proven me wrong.  Super passionate fanbase, even when the team was horrible they seemed to have a packed house no matter how cold it was.  Brian Daboll surprisingly didn't get a head coaching job anywhere so his offense should be really fun to watch again this year.

12 minutes ago, VerbalPuke said:

Definitely fuck the Packers. The worst.

Something we can all agree on. Cheers!

52 minutes ago, Maxx said:

@livid you're on 49ers detail.

Who is else is around to make an impassioned plea on behalf of a team you don't support?

Well you kinda already beat me to a lot of it but let's see...

Shanahan's a great offensive coach (even though not always great personnel decisions) with some fun wrinkles to it so it's never boring.

There's the #3 pick and who knows which QB will be taken! It could be the raw athlete like Trey Lance or  the might-be-an-alcoholic version of Matt Ryan, Mac Jones. They don't seem to be fond of Justin Fields for some reason? 

They have young weapons in Brandon Aiyuk and Deebo Samuel who excel in the previously mentioned fun wrinkles with the ball in their hands in space.

Kittle is just a pure delight to watch play but also fun to be a fan of and cool to have him on your team. 

The defense is really good when healthy because they have perhaps the best LB in football in Fred Warner and one of the best young pass rushers in the league in Nick Bosa (just don't ask him to talk about politics I guess). There's a new defensive coordinator in charge and it's former Texans LB standout DeMeco Ryans. Could be some growing pains or it could be a seamless transition!

They have an Aussie punter named Mitch Wishnowsky...

And it's one of the historically great franchises in the NFL but hasn't seen many winning seasons in the past 20 years 

1 hour ago, VerbalPuke said:

Definitely fuck the Packers. The worst.

I'd take the Packers over the Bears every single day of the week.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1