2021 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

5 hours ago, Lineker said:

Can you organise this before the Jags turn in their card for Trevor Lawrence?

No, but I could possibly set it up like Deal or No Deal

8 hours ago, damshow said:

We have a Vikings fan don't we? Lineker should go all in and be more than just the only fan of a team on EWB, but the only fan of a team in the world.

The Chargers beckon.

You raaaaaaaaang?

1 hour ago, Lowerdeck said:

I'm a Patriots fan.  Everyone hates us. A bunch of us are on the Tampa bandwagon because of Brady and Gronk.

Wanna come to the dark side?  Bring your fandom to Foxboro.

Listen, we tolerate your fandom.  There’s no room for any more.

• Haha 1

• Lineker changed the title to NFL Draft 2021
  • Admin

Look. Nobody at all has stood out to me, but since I made this decision that I can no longer give my backing to Houston - I've considered the Bills, Dolphins, Browns, Steelers, Packers, Falcons, Panthers, Saints, 49ers, and Seahawks. Nobody stood out so I just said San Francisco mainly for the fact family live near there in the Silicon Valley.

Honestly Atlanta and Kyle Pitts could be hella fun, assuming that's the pick. But those uniforms are not particularly great! 

The ideal would honestly be the wankers that own the Texans selling up shop and Father Easterby being shown the door - but that isn't happening any time soon.

I am genuinely open to Maxx's idea. Really. But it would be nice to be able to go into tonight with some vested interest.

Happy draft day everyone!  What are we hoping for? For the Lions, I think I'd prefer us not to go QB and that pretty much any 'best player on the board' besides that would be good for us. 

I'm a little curious what the Ravens do. They have 2 1st round picks right now and I think the preference is to keep both and, possibly, trade the 27th and a 3rd rounder or something to move up a few spots if someone they really want is there. But I won't be disappointed if they do trade back to accumulate an extra pick or two. 

Position-wise beyond CB and RB they can take any position. A big WR is a preference but that's hard to find. A true pass rushing DE or OLB would be fantastic as we haven't had one for a few years. Center would be less glamorous but just as much a need.

I really want a Cornerback if there is a Day One starter still on the board at #16. We strengthened a lot of problem areas in Free Agency and that's the one position I think we're still quite light on talent. Can see us drafting a Running Back and someone for the D-Line or Linebacker at some stage though.

And I'd not be surprised at all to see us trade down if our top choices have gone by #16. We only have like 4 picks in this year's Draft going in.

1 hour ago, DFF said:

Happy draft day everyone!  What are we hoping for? For the Lions, I think I'd prefer us not to go QB and that pretty much any 'best player on the board' besides that would be good for us. 

Ideally, I'd love a trade back for us and still be able to grab Micah Parsons/Rashawn Slater. Although I also really like the linebacker from Notre Dame so I wouldn't mind moving back and drafting him.

I'm hoping we can get an extra pick or two, even a trade back in Round 2 or 3 could work to secure an extra 4th or 5th.

The Devonta Smith slide feels odd. I know there isn't a ton of WR need at the top of the board versus other positions but I still can't see him making it out of the top 10. But if he does he's going to the Eagles, Giants probably think they did enough in free agency to not need a WR in round 1.

19 minutes ago, damshow said:

The Devonta Smith slide feels odd. I know there isn't a ton of WR need at the top of the board versus other positions but I still can't see him making it out of the top 10. But if he does he's going to the Eagles, Giants probably think they did enough in free agency to not need a WR in round 1.

Giants added Golladay but he missed most of last year due to injury (though there were questions that he was healthy to play for weeks and made a business decision).  Shepard's missed time pretty much every year and has a bad concussion history.  Slayton caught fewer than three passes in 11 games last year.  And both of the latter two weren't particularly good at getting separation.

So I still view WR as quite a big need, but it's a deep WR class so if they don't take one of the big three I think there are playmakers to be had in the 2nd or 3rd.

My gut tells me if 2 of the big 3 WR receivers go in the top 7 picks, the Eagles will be trading back up to get ahead of the Giants.  Can argue they should've just stayed at #6 to begin with in that case but I think the Dolphins trade and a possible trade back up would still work out to a net positive.

The Smith thing fascinates me because it's just so strange that he hasn't added any fake weight at all during the process. 9 times out of 10, a player would be told to add any type of weight they could regardless of what they plan on playing at just to secure a spot but he seems incredibly unbothered by the whole thing and it's just really interesting. 

I don't think the weight is really that big of a deterrent but I do think people might shy away just because he's such a unique profile that it's hard for teams to land on what type of player they're going to get. 

39 minutes ago, Lineker said:

I don't know just how much credence this gives to the draft-week murmurs that Trey Lance is actually in fact San Fran's guy at #3...

I think it's a pretty solid indication that it is Lance. That or it's more posturing by them waiting to see if someone will actually pull the trigger on a 1st for him. 

30 minutes ago, Buschie Kay said:

Giants added Golladay but he missed most of last year due to injury (though there were questions that he was healthy to play for weeks and made a business decision).  Shepard's missed time pretty much every year and has a bad concussion history.  Slayton caught fewer than three passes in 11 games last year.  And both of the latter two weren't particularly good at getting separation.

So I still view WR as quite a big need, but it's a deep WR class so if they don't take one of the big three I think there are playmakers to be had in the 2nd or 3rd.

My gut tells me if 2 of the big 3 WR receivers go in the top 7 picks, the Eagles will be trading back up to get ahead of the Giants.  Can argue they should've just stayed at #6 to begin with in that case but I think the Dolphins trade and a possible trade back up would still work out to a net positive.

Plus, if ya'll figure out your current guy at QB isn't the right dude, putting a rookie in with Golladay, say Devonta Smith, and the rest of your crew, it's a nice situation for a rookie QB. Kinda hoping we're going that route, build out the offense in case we move on from Goff in a year or so. 

Of course we really need help defensively as well. 

And just for shits and giggles...a good comparison to Devonta Smith would be Isaac Bruce. Per pro football reference he had a playing weight of 188 at 6'0. I'd say he did ok for himself. 

I'm actually kinda hoping we just grab Smith if Chase or Sewell isn't there. 

• Like 1