2021 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

On 23/04/2021 at 03:53, Meacon Keaton said:

Yeah, he's the latest darling because he's a great athlete. I don't see him being anything better than a Mitch type, where he may do some athletic things, but I don't think he'll ever lead you to a championship. Before teams started going psycho and drafting every quarterback in the first round, I think he would have been a solid third or fourth round pick. But he was on some talented teams and played very tough competition and wasn't the type to step up and take over a game. Ever. 

Bears to trade up to take him in the first then? :P

• Haha 1

The Chargers tweeted and then quickly deleted a post saying that they swapped picks from the Giants (moving up from #13 to #11) while also giving them their 3rd round pick.

Outside of the top few picks, you don't see trades like that done before draft day.  Someone jumped the gun but it could be an indication they've effectively worked out a deal but it's contingent on the draft not taking a completely unexpected turn by the time the Giants are on the clock.

Well that was quick, it's already been confirmed fake.  The guy duped all of the top reporters in the sport.  Field Yates was giving him props. :lol:

Anyway I imagine the Chargers will run to the podium if Slater is on the board.  His stock's rising though so I'd think they'd probably need to go ahead of maybe Carolina (who can go a million different directions with their pick) if they were that concerned of losing him.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Buschie Kay said:

Well that was quick, it's already been confirmed fake.  The guy duped all of the top reporters in the sport.  Field Yates was giving him props. :lol:

Anyway I imagine the Chargers will run to the podium if Slater is on the board.  His stock's rising though so I'd think they'd probably need to go ahead of maybe Carolina (who can go a million different directions with their pick) if they were that concerned of losing him.

Slater could go as high as #7 to Detroit....wouldn't surprise me. 

• Like 1

This is the first draft of the Gettleman era where I really have no idea what to expect.  Everyone knew Saquon was the pick in 2018.  Every mock had Daniel Jones going to the Giants in 2019 (albeit most had him going to the Giants with the #17 pick...it's known now that another team was going to jump up, so they had to take him early).  Everyone knew offensive tackle would be the pick last year, just not sure which one.

I'd be hard pressed saying no to any of the top 3 receivers.  I know they've just signed Golladay but their top three guys have injury question marks and Slayton might be closer to a WR4.  Either way they're an injury away from having to abandon the 3WR sets like they did last year.

Similarly, despite paying big money to Adoree' Jackson this year to go along with Bradberry, having a legit CB3 is important too.  I don't think Surtain will be there but maybe Jaycee Horn will be.  Supposedly they're high on Caleb Farley too.

Beyond that you have Slater as an option if the line is giving them pause, Parsons, Barmore.  The latter two give me more pause but I don't think they can be ruled out.

Either way, this is the first Giants draft in a long while where their top target hasn't been telegraphed.

I'm high enough on the top 3 WRs available that if they stand pat and take one of them I'd be more than happy but yeah, failing getting one of those guys I'd be more than happy to see a trade down.  Only concern I have is Gettleman being too stubborn to do it.  Nearly every team uses the same value chart to determine what a "fair" trade would be and I can see him being someone who ignores that chart and insists on getting more.

• Like 1

Chicago receives:

• 2021 first-round pick (No. 11 overall)

New York receives:

• 2021 first-round pick (No. 20)
  • 2021 second-round pick (No. 52)
  • 2021 sixth-round pick (No. 204)

Here is Frelund’s logic:

Why it works for the Bears:

As I said in the blurbage just above, according to my model, QB4 is most likely to be Mac Jones or Trey Lance. Sitting either one of them behind Andy Dalton obviously wouldn’t produce a big win-total uptick in 2021. Jones in particular seems like a first-round pick you’d want to test out sooner than later, based on his quick-passing résumé at Alabama. But getting ahead of Washington (picking at No. 19) and New England (No. 15) — not to mention, Vegas (No. 17) and Philly (No. 12) — creates future value for the reasonable cost of a second- and sixth-round pick.

Why it works for the Giants:

I may have pointed out before that the Giants paid their free agents well (maybe too well) this offseason. But now that’s a sunk cost, and the player-performance projections combine to give this roster some sneaky-good potential. The highest probability fit-based additions (edge, corner, O-line, wide receiver) don’t decrease much from 11 to 20, and adding No. 52 outweighs that by about 0.35 wins.

I wouldn't mind this at all, any further down I would be against it - but if we can gain a couple more picks this year I would think Getty would be up for rather than future picks.

Make it happen @Your Mom!

• Like 1