2021 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

He's listed as a TE because of where he lines up, that's about it. He's a WR and he'll basically be a WR. You'll need another TE to be a primary blocking TE, but you can do clever 2 TE sets all the time and give defenses absolute fits.

It won't happen because we're picking way too low but he'd basically be the best offensive player in the league if he wound up in the Ravens offense. I wish the Orlando Brown trade will yield a pick high enough to get him but it won't.

Unless we are moving Gallup, I don’t think our offense could even support taking on Pitts, certainly not in a way that justifies his high price.  There’s only so many offensive possessions a game, we have 3 receivers capable of 1,000 yard season, a top 5 running back, and a talented backup RB.  Plus a mobile QB.  Feels like he’d be capped at 700 yards and 6-8 TDs.  Pretty sure you can get that level of production out of another TE.  

If you want to try for four 1,000 yard receivers...well Dak isn’t the QB and McCarthy isn’t coach for that.

Also apparently literally every defensive player we could select at 10 instead of Kyle Pitts is the next Taco Charlton.  I hate Cowboys fans.

• Haha 1

The NFL is likely to more or less do away with the strict number restrictions that have been in place. Expect a lot of guys keeping their college numbers going forward. Which I like. It'll be weird to see a LB in the NFL wearing the number 5 or a WR wearing 21 but not that weird.

It also presumably allows teams to be more active in retiring jersey numbers. Hopefully this allows the Ravens to formally retire their HOFers numbers.

Apparently even under the new plan kickers, punters, and QBs will still be limited to 1-19, sadly.

Offensive lineman will still be limited to 50-79, which I understand due to the eligible receiver stuff.

Defensive linemen will also be limited to 50-79 and the 90s.

1-49 will be open to all other positions.  In addition to picking from those numbers RB/WR/TE can wear in the 80s, LBs in the 50s and 90s.

37 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Today's rumour is Washington being prepared and willing to trade away a lot of/all of their picks to trade up for Trey Lance.

Hell yeah

On 08/04/2021 at 16:25, Meacon Keaton said:

The tight end label on Pitts is a red flag for people, but he’s a 2021 tight end, which is just a large (but still painfully fast) receiver. The Gators used him literally the same way the Patriots used Gronk. I’d bank on him being very, very good instead of not. Obviously where he gets drafted and how he gets used plays a big part in that. But the people that think he lines up and blocks and sometimes catches passes because he’s listed as a “tight end” haven’t done any homework on him.

Yeah, my understanding is that if you shed his "TE" label he's still probably the best WR in the draft. 

I'm actually pretty intrigued but I'm pretty certain he wont be there at 7.

His measureables compare very favorably to Calvin Johnsom actually, just not quite as fast. But on the other hand, also similar to Anquan Boldin but faster. 

No drops. That probably excites me more than anything. 

15 minutes ago, damshow said:

The Boldin comparison is really good. In Baltimore he was sorta used as a pass-catching TE. Lined up as a WR but was constantly delivering hard blocks and then would catch the passes in traffic. Especially the intermediate passes that TEs feast on nowadays.

I loved Boldin for the one year he was in Detroit. Exactly as you said, after a hall of fame career he was a very steady 1st down and touch down machine for us, but fucking got out there and blocked like a champ. 

God, what a solid fucking WR corp Golden Tate, Marvin Jones, and Anquan Boldin were....for a year.