NFL 2021

Lineker

Yeah, I've put some small bets on various Rams defenders for MVP, figuring the Bengals will have no way to stop all of them.  I could see them trying to double team Donald all game and then focusing on Miller after that, but it'll leave some random guy like Leonard Floyd to come out of nowhere for a huge game.

Generally for a defender to win SB MVP they need a monster game and there needs to not be a standout offensive performer.  So by default, any MVP odds for a defender are high but this is the kind of game where there could be real value.

Offensively, I liked Kupp at +700 but that was about it.  Usually the performance needs to be exceptional for voters to not just hand it to the QB.

I'm torn. Hoping the Bengals win it for the underdog story of it all. But I do want to see Stafford get a ring before he's done. Bengals feel like they will have more chances down the line whereas Rams feel like this is the moment now. 

Certainly a lot more pressure on the Rams given that they’ve been trading first round picks like it’s going out of style for several years now and several more years to come.  Not having at least one title to show for it after all of this would be a really bad look for them.

Eventually their window should close, but then again more and more teams have figured out that the salary cap is a myth if you structure contracts correctly.

11 minutes ago, LL! said:

I'm torn. Hoping the Bengals win it for the underdog story of it all. But I do want to see Stafford get a ring before he's done. Bengals feel like they will have more chances down the line whereas Rams feel like this is the moment now. 

For what it's worth Bengals play in a very tough decision and historically do not keep as many homegrown stars as other top teams, opting for lower-cost replacements in free agency and the draft. It's part of the reason why the Dalton-era teams collapsed overnight. They're in very good hands with Burrow for a couple years. And they'll likely keep Chase and Higgins around. It's all their other positions, especially on defense, that will likely see a talent drain over the next 2 seasons. Assuming the franchise still operates the same way.

But I can never root for a divisional rival and I also hope Stafford gets a ring. Same for Donald. Same for OBJ. And ESPECIALLY same for my guy Eric Weddle.

I will be happy for Eric Weddle and Matt Gay if the Rams do win. To a lesser extent, Stafford winning after all those years in Detroit will make it worth it.

But, I can never bring myself to root for the Rams as a team. 

1 hour ago, damhausen said:

For what it's worth Bengals play in a very tough decision and historically do not keep as many homegrown stars as other top teams, opting for lower-cost replacements in free agency and the draft. It's part of the reason why the Dalton-era teams collapsed overnight. They're in very good hands with Burrow for a couple years. And they'll likely keep Chase and Higgins around. It's all their other positions, especially on defense, that will likely see a talent drain over the next 2 seasons. Assuming the franchise still operates the same way.

But I can never root for a divisional rival and I also hope Stafford gets a ring. Same for Donald. Same for OBJ. And ESPECIALLY same for my guy Eric Weddle.

I get that, but I honestly think this SB appearance can change a lot of things. 

The cap implications make that a certainty. But, man, they're putting themselves into the rookie QB lottery. They have no ability to make a move for anyone else, don't even have a 1st rounder this year (though they might give up plenty to move back in to the 1st). It's almost like it'd be worth another year or two of Wentz since he's firmly in the serviceable category of QBs.