2023 NFL Off-Season thread

Lineker

5 hours ago, Lint said:

I think it's a creative way to try and help defenses without neutering the offensive explosion we've all grown to love. 

I wouldn't vote for it personally but I understand the idea behind it. 

• Admin

New Orleans Saints running back Alvin Kamara, Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Chris Lammons and two other men have been indicted by a grand jury for allegedly assaulting a man at a Las Vegas nightclub in February 2022.

All four men were indicted on charges of conspiracy to commit battery and battery resulting in substantial bodily harm.

Kamara's attorneys, Drew Findling, David Z. Chesnoff and Richard A. Schonfeld, said in a statement Thursday that he intends to contest the charges.

"The State has avoided a contested preliminary hearing by indicting Mr. Kamara. He intends to vigorously fight the allegations at trial as he was defending himself and others at the time of the incident," the statement said.

The indictment means that the case will move from Las Vegas Justice Court to district court on March 2.

The hearing for the case was continued several times last year and Kamara did not receive any punishment by the NFL as a result, pushing any potential suspension into the 2023 season or beyond.

A civil lawsuit was filed against Kamara in October by Darnell Greene Jr., the man who alleges he was attacked. The lawsuit alleges that Kamara and the three other men beat Greene and stomped on him when he was on the floor unconscious outside the nightclub on the morning of Feb. 5, 2022, the night before the Pro Bowl.

Greene's lawsuit asks for a jury trial and compensatory and punitive damages of no less than $10 million. It seeks $5 million in actual damages for "pecuniary losses, pain and suffering, disfigurement, mental anguish, and past, present, and future medical expenses" and $5 million in exemplary damages.

Kamara, 27, is a five-time Pro Bowl selection who rushed for 897 yards and two touchdowns in 15 games this past season. He caught 57 passes for 490 yards and two touchdowns.

Lammons, formerly with the Kansas City Chiefs, was recently claimed off waivers by the Bengals.

On 16/02/2023 at 03:22, Justin Buschlander said:

So right after winning the game on Sunday, Travis Kelce went on a big rant about how “nobody believed we could win it all”, “nobody thought we’d be here” etc.  and today Mahomes at the Super Bowl parade said “they said we were rebuilding this year, I don’t know what rebuilding means.”

Like…what?  They were in the top 3 of the Super Bowl winner odds all year.  Tons of analysts predicted them to win it in August.  Everyone knew their floor was, at worst, a comfortable playoff berth.  And nobody, absolutely nobody, thought they were rebuilding.

It’s just baffling that some athletes thrive on adversity to such an extent that they have to make shit up to stay motivated.

I thought it was more a rant specifically at the pre-game pundits, about 95% of which picked the Eagles to win. 

• Admin
8 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Why? Why would you want the same job for a much worse team?

Ron Rivera is 61-years-old and has had his fair share of health issues. Could it be at all possible that he's using this as an alternative way to be best-positioned step in to an eventual HC vacancy?

6 hours ago, damhausen said:

I suspect this way he gets to call plays, something he can't do in KC because Reid does it (and you don't take play calling duties from one of the best to ever do it).

This is exactly the reason, though it sounds like he'll be given a slight bump in title too.

The move makes sense for Bieniemy from a job responsibilities standpoint.  If he succeeds at calling plays then he might finally get the head coach job that was long overdue.

Of course, if he fails you’ll have people going “see?  Bieniemy sucks without Reid and Mahomes” even though he’s being asked to make chicken salad out of chicken shit with Sam Howell.

I don’t believe Jones actually thinks he’ll get $45 million AAV.  His camp knows that the floor is $32 million (the franchise tag).  They also know that the team has an incentive to avoid the franchise tag.  

The team was expected to have decent cap space this offseason and if they tag Jones, that’s $32 million of it gone and little operating room to make upgrades.  A long-term deal on the other hand can be structured in a way to lower the 2023 hit and backload money to when some of their other deals are off the books.

I suspect Jones is really targeting somewhere around $38 million AAV and that’s the natural midpoint between the tag and this reported “ask”.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Justin Buschlander said:

I don’t believe Jones actually thinks he’ll get $45 million AAV.  His camp knows that the floor is $32 million (the franchise tag).  They also know that the team has an incentive to avoid the franchise tag.  

The team was expected to have decent cap space this offseason and if they tag Jones, that’s $32 million of it gone and little operating room to make upgrades.  A long-term deal on the other hand can be structured in a way to lower the 2023 hit and backload money to when some of their other deals are off the books.

I suspect Jones is really targeting somewhere around $38 million AAV and that’s the natural midpoint between the tag and this reported “ask”.

Don't be shocked if Jones also fights for a fully guaranteed deal. Knowing "they can just tag me" is giving these guys a ton of leverage now thanks to the Watson contract.