The Old Sony Megathread

Mattman

Posting this in several gaming groups of mine for my, and yours, for cheap online gaming fun you may or may not have heard about:

Stardew Valley is multiplayer now and a real friendly co op community game with surprising depth to it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UzowO9v_-oc&t=8s

Ultimate Chicken Horse is a game where you race against friends from A to B. It is made more complex by traps you set every round. Chaos soon happens.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FYaE_xw4krw

Worms. I think we all know what this is about.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CP2XoETz9gE

Duck Game. Up to 4 ducks fight it out in rounds that can literally last seconds. Chaos soon happens again.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jiSMnQUhLA0

Super Bomberman R. Maze based murder of each other. Contains Xavier Woods.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U66jyrdJLSs

Crash Team Racing. Mario Kart but on the Ps4 more or less.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dr2BCMRk_xc

Everybody's Golf. A not too serious take on golf with alot of custom rules available.

Anything else that's similar or you guys recommend during lockdown have at it.

3 hours ago, Liam said:

Might as well ask for a recommendation here -

what do people think are perhaps under the radar examples of open world games that are worth spending some time on? You know, missions, collectibles, all that stuff.

Depending on your definition of under the radar, any of the Yakuza games, but especially Yakuza 0.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuddyAwesome said:

Mad Max is easily one of my favorite PS4 games. Great combat, unique missions, and the driving combat is actually a blast too! Can't suggest that game enough. 

I have that through it being a PS plus game at some point and keep meaning to go back to it. Perhaps now is the time.

1 minute ago, Liam said:

I have that through it being a PS plus game at some point and keep meaning to go back to it. Perhaps now is the time.

I completely forgot that was a Plus game. It's probably just sitting in my library, lonely and waiting to be downloaded.

9 hours ago, OctoberRaven said:

Depending on your definition of under the radar, any of the Yakuza games, but especially Yakuza 0.

I like Yakuza 0, it's the only one I've played so far, but goddamn it gets old after like the 10th fight.

25 minutes ago, tristy said:

I like Yakuza 0, it's the only one I've played so far, but goddamn it gets old after like the 10th fight.

That's the beauty of Yakuza, though. It encourages you to mix things up in combat with the completion list, and even then, you can always go bowling, or play OutRun, or a whole bunch of things.

It helps that Yakuza has some of some of the most brutal combat animations ever.

• 2 weeks later...

Kingdom Hearts 3 is on sale on the PS Store for $17.99 at the moment and I’m tempted. Although I’ve never played any of the games in the series before. 

Can anyone recommend or give me an idea of what to expect gameplay wise? 

2 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Kingdom Hearts 3 is on sale on the PS Store for $17.99 at the moment and I’m tempted. Although I’ve never played any of the games in the series before. 

If you've played any of Final Fantasy VII Remake, it's quite similar. It's real-time and quite hacky-slashy, although there are menu-based magic attacks. The plot is completely bananas, as you probably have heard, but I don't think it's the good kind of crazy.

I've often felt that Kingdom Hearts could have benefited from using a similar format to the Final Fantasy games. Just have each game be a self-contained story with different characters, and with different Disney worlds. Having an overarching plot that's years-long, incredibly labyrinthine and initially requiring half a dozen different game systems to play, is such a baffling approach to what ought to be something that's simple and child-friendly.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Liam Mk2 said:

I haven't played 3 yet, but I believe the pack with 1 and 2 was on sale as well. The first game is still one of my all time favorites, and because of the nature of the story and how well the first two (main) games hold up, I'd recommend going through all three of them.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

I haven't played 3 yet, but I believe the pack with 1 and 2 was on sale as well. The first game is still one of my all time favorites, and because of the nature of the story and how well the first two (main) games hold up, I'd recommend going through all three of them.

Am I right in saying the 1.5/2.5 remixes are like a combination of 5-6 games? 

10 minutes ago, Liam Mk2 said:

Am I right in saying the 1.5/2.5 remixes are like a combination of 5-6 games? 

Some are games, some are collections of cinematics.

The first collection is four games and 2 cinematics I believe and then there’s 2.8 which is one game, one cinematic and a mini-prologue to KH3.

I’m going through everything right now and honestly good memories and all, KH1 is kind of a slog that feels mildly dated to me (just missing a lot of modern helper/QoL stuff) but the collections themselves are great value because they all have a different feel.

• Like 1