World Cup 2010 Thread

My team beat France. Twice :shifty:

It's a country, not a team, what are ya, American?

to be fair, in the US ... it's the USMNT (United States Men's National TEAM) ... and what, everyone in the country played the games, or the team representing the country played :P

and CHICHARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRITOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't recall being called up to play in the match myself with everyone else in the country so...no.

Doesn' the Netherlands have a national football team?

Eddie, sometimes you need to think before you post :P

Unlike you, Rich, who needs to think instead of posting. :shifty:

Oooh, burn.

Edit: How funny would it be if Argentina won the World Cup and Messi still didn't score? ¬_¬

I think my favourite thing about Argentina in general is how every player in the squad fucking loves Maradonna. In fact, Maradonna himself might well be my favourite thing about Argentina.

Maybe England should appoint someone like Gary Lineker or Peter Beardsley as their coach. ¬_¬

Edited by Farmer Reil
  • Like 1

I just love how when it happened to us (twice) people in this thread were saying that sure it sucked but that's the game and no reason to shout out for FIFA to make changes because it won't. We said it'd be different if it happened to England or some "big" team.

Well, now it happened to England and there's a hell of a lot more people chirping about how FIFA needs to make changes <_<

I'm sorry, I think there's a big difference between offside and the ball crossing the line. I know that might be hypocritical because I am English, and I would be angry if England had scored a goal when they were onside. But there's something very, very different about it. And the US one's happened in a group stage and they still made it through. If we had won the game, it wouldn't be as a big of a deal.

But that goal denied us 2-2, and that could've changed the whole game.

Yes, we were shit afterwards and deserved to lose. But it will always be a what-if situation. However, somehow, I'm more glad we lost 4-1 than 2-1. Because if we had, I'd be fuming - as would everyone in the country.

Well that's definitely Top 3 material.

Villa, Tevez, Sneijder (sp?) so far? Or am I missing an obvious beauty?

Luís Fabiano (the first one against Ivory Coast), Tshabalala's opening goal of the tournament, Lampard's ghost-goal from today.

Mexico got fucking screwed. Tevez was obviously offside and THEY SHOWED IT ON THE SCREEN by mistake. The moment it was shown, all the Mexicans stormed the assistant referee. He and the ref talked and they still let it count, HOW THE FUCK? Come on, just because it was shown on screen he can't reverse the decision? Complete and utter bullshit.

They can't reverse the decision, because then FIFA would have been using video technology, something they aren't allowed to do.

It's bullshit, but if the decision had been overturned, the officials would probably be in a lot more shit than they are now for doing it.

As much as I disagree with what happened, if the ref had overturned their decision, I would've been pissed off, his call stands, end of.

Also, Ronaldo's goal against North Korea is one of my favorites, purely for the hilarity of oh hey, where's it gone? Oh, it's next to me

• Like 1

I'm sorry, I think there's a big difference between offside and the ball crossing the line. I know that might be hypocritical because I am English, and I would be angry if England had scored a goal when they were onside. But there's something very, very different about it. And the US one's happened in a group stage and they still made it through. If we had won the game, it wouldn't be as a big of a deal.

There really isn't much of a difference between the ball bouncing at least 6 inches beyond the line and a referee not seeing 4 guys get mugged in plain sight and instead making a phantom offsides call when no one was offsides. The Dempsey situation was closer to what happened today in terms of the amount of space being tight and the call being wrong both times. The two goals that were disallowed may not have been as significant in the long run, but the calls are equally terrible and neither one was as egregious as that atrocity in the Argentina/Mexico game.

Unfortunately the second that the players knew it was a bullshit call, the match was ruined.

It was like the weak yellow card in Germany vs Serbia, the second that a clearly wrong call happens you get a bunch of angry players who suddenly lapse in concentration.

Mexico were ALWAYS going to concede the second goal so soon after that, they were absolutely livid with the decision.

Oh, and imagine the uproar if they'd have reversed the Mexican decision and not the England one. Everything would've been fucked.

The Mexican situation is different because they blatantly showed Tevez standing behind the offside line heading the ball into the goal, on the big screen in the stadium. Before that the Mexican players were like 'fine, whatever', but then they saw the replay and stormed the ref. How they could ignore the blatant proof is beyond me. I don't give a shit if he pointed to the middle line, you're still allowed before the whistle to reverse the decision. They showed Zidane a red card after the 4th official used a replay! Who's going to criticize the ref if he says it's a goal kick? 'Oh you reversed an unfair goal, shame on you!'. :shifty:

Edited by The Quasi Juice