World Cup 2010 Thread

I really thought we'd do it, but we lost to a much better side on the day.

There's something strangely irritating about that sentence :/

I really thought we'd do it, but we lost to a much better side on the day.

Lemme guess, your metaphorical Olympic torch will be passed onto another country before the end of this world cup <_<

Oh for fuck sake, shut up. Read the fucking thread, because I'm tired of repeating myself twenty times. I am ENGLISH. I support ENGLAND. Yes, I rooted on Italy as a SECOND team. Yes, I really like Italy. No, I'm not Italian. Hopefully you understand that and can now move on.

Edited by JohnnyPerfect

This is actually the first time you mentioned Italy being your second team, last thing I heard you say was now that Italy are out, you're supporting England. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Absolutely gutted in all honesty. I really thought we'd do it, but we lost to a much better side on the day. The Lampard goal was ridiculous and COULD of changed the entire game, but these things happen to teams on a regular basis. Either way, we didn't deserve to win.

I completely agree with this. Had the goal been allowed, England would have lost 4-2.

And I am Italian yet I don't really like Italy. ^_^

This is actually the first time you mentioned Italy being your second team, last thing I heard you say was now that Italy are out, you're supporting England. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You're welcome to search the build up threads to the World Cup as well as every previous one in this thread to see the amount of times I've discussed England and supporting them.

If you cant be bothered, get a fucking grip and get over it. I'm not a glory hunter, I supported England from day one. If you or anybody else wants to think different, then please go ahead and do so. I guess I'm just telling you a lie in an attempt to switch teams though :lol:

The Mexico vs Argentina games was pretty good. Yes, Tevez was offsides on that first goal, so in my mind, the game was 2-1, but that error by Osorio was terrible for us. The last Tevez goal and the Chicharito goal were both magnificent. Tevez is the reason I REALLY wanted Mexico to win their group, so they could avoid Argentina. As I said before, I still think Argentina will take this WC and look forward to seeing them play Germany.

On the England vs Germany game, when I saw the goal not get counted, I immediately thought how the entire board (lots of England fans on EWB for some reason) would just be pissed beyond all reason, and rightfully so. But then England just stopped defending properly and got caught.

I only saw the second half, but there are absolutely no excuses for how the team was completely torn apart by a quick counter-attack. It was like watching a League Two team try to defend against an on-form Chelsea. I was terrified every time they got the ball on the attack. At the end of the day, we were always going to struggle against Germany, as our back four is just not good enough. But whether or not Frank Lampard's goal was accepted, the counter attacks still would have happened. For that free kick Lampard attempted, he'd be attempting to go 3-2 up, so would do it exactly the same.

Maybe it's time as a country we realise that it's not the manager, it's the players. What motivation do Rooney, Lampard, Terry and Gerrard have to perform? They know full well that they'll be in the line-up for the next game. Capello made a few errors, but it's a bit hypocritical for the media to turn around and say "I always knew it was going to happen!" On paper, that team should not have struggled so visibly against Germany, especially when we like to consider ourself potential world champions.

I'm still shocked we didn't bring Darren Bent over. He's in the best form of his career, scoring goals week in, week out, and we decided to leave him at home for a player (Heskey) who doesn't score goals. If you want to play route one and have the ball held up; play Crouch. Bent was the kind of man I could see coming and scoring goals.

It's a shame about a few injuries, too. I think Ferdinand would've brought something solid to the back four. Beckham could've fired up the team, because I'd argue he's the most passionate player we have. And Michael Owen would've been perfect. He's the kind of player you can bring on with five minutes to go, and really believe, could score a goal.

It's no excuse. It's just what could have been. We need to stop sacraficing positional play so that we can have Gerrard and Lampard on at the same time. Gerrard can't play in his position on the left and he pulled everyone out of position. It was shocking.

If we didn't qualify from our group the FA expected Capello to resign.

We qualified from our group and now the FA expect Capello to resign.

They expect a guy who wanted England to be his last job to throw away £12m from the rest of his contract for integrity reasons?

What the fuck?

There probably won't be a new wave in the England camp, just a small one. The likes of Gerrard, Lampard and Ferdinand are just too well known, Capello probably doesn't have the balls to bench them or not call them up at all. I'm thinking World Cup 2014 will be a true next-gen team. I'd be surprised if Capello revamped the entire squad. Would be lovely though and could work.

I agree with Capello's comments during the press conference though. Germany would have played differently if it had been 2-2, this is just a fact. Now they could lean back a bit more and look for the counter attack. Yes Germany were still better than England, but who knows what would have happened at 2-2. Germany would try to look for the third goal, resulting in a more open game. Same with Mexico-Argentina. Mexico were better the first 10 to 20 minutes. An unfair goal changed the whole match.

Not only that; but it was also two goals in a very short space of time. One right after the other.

What was awful was seeing the linesman telling Rooney at half time it definitely wasn't a goal. He's made an absolute cock up there. We could see it was in. Capello saw it was in. Neuer knew it was in. But him and the referee seemed to miss it.

It hurts. It hurts more in the manner it happened.

• Like 1

Capello is a good guy (+ he looks funny wen he is angry)... i´ed give him the two extra years to build something.

It´s easy to say as a german since we at least have been in the Semi finales of the past cupple of big tournaments but the Klinsman/Löw era that started 2004 introduced a lot of controversial changes and seems to be only doing good by just working on their longterm plan. (they still are doing a lot of stuff that dos not get public aproval, even selecting the team for this worldcup)

They touched upon something like this in Football Weekly.

In 1998 the German national team was at it's low point, yet rather than sign Guus Hiddink or Roy Hodgeson they decided to just bring in a basic manager and put all of their effort into redeveloping the youth system in Germany.

So the 10 and 11 year olds from the 2000+ youth systems are finally coming good (Oezil, Mueller, Marin, Batstuder, Kroos, Boateng etc.) and are looking like an immense threat, whilst it's looking very much like England will get another 'golden generation' only for it to fuck up.

Arsenal, Tottenham and Everton seem to be single-handedly trying to redevelop the English youth system by themselves, if the FA were actually helping out then we might end up bringing another four new players in every World Cup and not just another one.

The FA loves the attention the Premier League gets, but why does the Premier League get so much attention and why is it so popular? Because the clubs buy foreign players who bring something special (not even that always) and it attracts foreign fans. However, it really hurts the English national team. Aston Villa and Everton should get a fucking medal for trying to achieve success with mainly English players.

You can' treally blame them for buying foreign either because the price of English players is so inflated. The amount of money Villa are expecting for Milner is a perfect example, Man City will just go elsewhere and get a better foreign player for less money. Also Look how much United had to pay for Chris Smalling, who's made less than 20 senior apperances at the age of 20, it's insane. It's just the nature of the beast that is the Premier League, you can't have your cake and eat it.

La Liga of course have the perfect balance, but that's mainly thanks to Barcelona and their incredible amount of Spanish youth talent they've brought through over the years.

Edited by The Cool One