World Cup 2010 Thread

I'll have Arteta like. Either way, was just having a joke. I'm fully aware that England's team will have just as much interesting heritage on it's side. Although the fact that two brothers played against each other in a World Cup match is rather amazing.

And just to stick with the fun;

36726_442918904739_510514739_5935939_5131501_n.jpg

I giggled.

• Like 1

That was the only way I didn't want us to lose. (Mexico/Argentina game)

I don't care if we were goaled 6-0, as long as all goals were legit and we were dominated, the I wouldn't mind, but to have a referee screw us over that bad, it's just fucked up. At least Chicharito scored and he (hopefully now) proves that he should be the starter, not Franco. The referee's bad call came with Osorio's awful error, Aguirre's stupid decisions of taking out Guardado for Franco and not putting Barrera as a starter.

I hope Chicharito has a great time playing in Man. Utd. and he could tell Rooney: "Hey Wayne, I scored twice in the World Cup, awesome right, what about you?"

I'm kinda torn about the Brazil-Chile soccer game.

Even though I'm doing really well on a fantasy pool (so far 5/5 on the knockout winners) and Brazil winning moves me that closer to a good $500, Chile winning would be absolutely awesome just for the sheer unexpectedness of it.

Edit: Who knew Howard Webb would last longer than England at the World Cup?

Edited by nabeel

Chile started well enough but every time they had the ball near the Brazilian goal, they tried to pull a Gerrard and shoot despite having some really good off-the-ball runs by their wingers.

And now they're 2-0 down :shifty:

That was the only way I didn't want us to lose. (Mexico/Argentina game)

I don't care if we were goaled 6-0, as long as all goals were legit and we were dominated, the I wouldn't mind, but to have a referee screw us over that bad, it's just fucked up. At least Chicharito scored and he (hopefully now) proves that he should be the starter, not Franco. The referee's bad call came with Osorio's awful error, Aguirre's stupid decisions of taking out Guardado for Franco and not putting Barrera as a starter.

I hope Chicharito has a great time playing in Man. Utd. and he could tell Rooney: "Hey Wayne, I scored twice in the World Cup, awesome right, what about you?"

To be fair, the three goals that followed were all perfectly fair, and in one case a contender for goal of the tournament. So... don't cry too much.

Best of love,

A British guy.

Edited by Farmer Reil

I'll have Arteta like. Either way, was just having a joke. I'm fully aware that England's team will have just as much interesting heritage on it's side. Although the fact that two brothers played against each other in a World Cup match is rather amazing.

And just to stick with the fun;

36726_442918904739_510514739_5935939_5131501_n.jpg

I giggled.

What? The goal was never over the line :/

england-lampard.jpg

• Like 5

Shame Chile had to go out, but there aren't any teams through at the moment I'd have them there instead of. I'd rather they were through than Portugal and Paraguay, but hopefully Spain and those loveable Japanese will see them off.

This tournament's actually been pretty good at weeding off the teams I didn't wanna see progress. France, Italy, Greece, Switzerland etc. Hopefully now Spain piss all over Portugal and it's a very likeable final 8.

Edited by Pesci

Why is Gerrard still getting praise from pundits? He was terrible against Germany, instead of passing the only thing he did was try to get past 2 players and then shoot. At least Lampard's shots were on target. For some reason Gerrard is the English poster boy and now the coach has to build the squad around him? Please. He'll be 32 at the Euro Cup! Should he be in the England squad then? Sure, there's no denying he has skills, but it's time for a change. I say either Lampard or Gerrard gone from the England squad forever. Defoe gets a chance ahead of Rooney, because Rooney has been shite for England, whilst Defoe has showed passion and the ability to actually score. No more looking at big names, now the best TEAM should play, but I doubt Capello will do this if he stays.

Edited by The Quasi Juice

Why is Gerrard still getting praise from pundits? He was terrible against Germany, instead of passing the only thing he did was try to get past 2 players and then shoot. At least Lampard's shots were on target. For some reason Gerrard is the English poster boy and now the coach has to build the squad around him? Please. He'll be 32 at the Euro Cup! Should he be in the England squad then? Sure, there's no denying he has skills, but it's time for a change. I say either Lampard or Gerrard gone from the England squad forever. Defoe gets a chance ahead of Rooney, because Rooney has been shite for England, whilst Defoe has showed passion and the ability to actually score. No more looking at big names, now the best TEAM should play, but I doubt Capello will do this if he stays.

32 isn't that old. I expect he'll be in the 2014 squad as well to be honest, especially with the lack of talent we have coming through. Huddlestone has promise but he's not exactly a go out and get'em type of player. I think a five-man midfield with Huddlestone, Milner and a ball-winner like Cattermole in the middle (with most of the emphasis being placed on the wingers, since that's where our most effective players seem to play of the younger generation) could be an option, but while that's a midfield with a lot of promise it wouldn't do much at the moment. Capello is gonna stick with Gerrard and Lampard because they're two of his biggest match-winners and all he cares about is doing well at Euro 2012. That's why I think he needs to go - he doesn't have the future in mind. Plus Gerrard's been a much better player than Lampard in the tournament as a whole. Lampard had one good game. And Gerrard wasn't any worse than the rest of our team against Germany anyway. Plus, Gerrard still hasn't been played in his strongest position - behind a lone striker. Why we haven't tried Gerrard behind Rooney properly yet is beyond me, they seem to like playing off eachother and did so quite well in qualification.

Apperently Blatter is not against the Video Prof anymore. :rolleyes:

Yeah, NOW you'll take a look Sepp ? Go swallow a knife and die in a fire you tool. It took England getting boned to make you take a look ... really ? Fuck off asshole.

Article

Blatter, who attended both matches, said he had apologized to English and Mexican soccer officials.

"After having witnessed such a situation," Blatter said, referring to England's non-goal against Germany, "we have to open again this file, definitely."

He said the International Football Association Board would consider changes at a July meeting in Cardiff, Wales.

"Naturally we will take on board again the discussion about technology," Blatter said, adding that the system could not be altered midway through the World Cup. "Something has to be changed."

While major sports including tennis, American football, baseball and hockey have employed video replay as a tool to help officials get calls right, soccer has steadfastly refused to do so. Blatter said in 2008 that soccer should be left with errors.

But after England and Mexico were wronged, the group which represents pro players worldwide, FIFPro, said referees should get access to high-tech assistance.

"The entire football world once again reacted with disbelief to FIFA's stubborn insistence that technology does not belong in football," FIFPro said. "The credibility of the sport is at stake."