World Cup 2010 Thread

Villa was onside, and Costa looks round to see Capdevilla, swings and elbow at him, then jumps. I don't think it got all that much contact, if any, and Capdevilla definetely oversold it as if he'd been shot, but the intention was there. Spain were the better side by miles. Portugal decided they were gonna sit back, counter attack and if they got ahead they'd park the bus, but as soon as Villa scored they looked completely clueless. No idea what to do, and like Seedorf said, going into a game against Spain, you NEED a plan B in case you go down one-nil. It's stupid not to.

Going to be weird tomorrow with no footy but Brazil v Holland on Friday should be exciting. Both teams have been going through the motions, and when you think that neither have lost a match yet, it's exciting to think they've only played in second gear so far. From here I see Brazil beating Holland, Uruguay beating Ghana, Spain beating Paraguay, and it's a toss-up between Argentina/Germany, but I think the Argies might just steal it.

Ok this isn't on the topic but it is the current soccer forum (I'm VERY new to soccer) The yellow, and red card mean Yellow- Warning or out for a small time and Red- Out for the game correct?

Also how do they get a card, and can you get a red card with no warning before it ?

(sorry for all the questions hmm.gif)

Edited by Invader Z

Villa was onside, and Costa looks round to see Capdevilla, swings and elbow at him, then jumps. I don't think it got all that much contact, if any, and Capdevilla definetely oversold it as if he'd been shot, but the intention was there. Spain were the better side by miles. Portugal decided they were gonna sit back, counter attack and if they got ahead they'd park the bus, but as soon as Villa scored they looked completely clueless. No idea what to do, and like Seedorf said, going into a game against Spain, you NEED a plan B in case you go down one-nil. It's stupid not to.

Going to be weird tomorrow with no footy but Brazil v Holland on Friday should be exciting. Both teams have been going through the motions, and when you think that neither have lost a match yet, it's exciting to think they've only played in second gear so far. From here I see Brazil beating Holland, Uruguay beating Ghana, Spain beating Paraguay, and it's a toss-up between Argentina/Germany, but I think the Argies might just steal it.

semttuloo.jpg

Ok this isn't on the topic but it is the current soccer forum (I'm VERY new to soccer) The yellow, and red card mean Yellow- Warning or out for a small time and Red- Out for the game correct?

Also how do they get a card, and can you get a red card with no warning before it ?

Yellow is like a final warning, you do not go off the pitch for any period of time for it.

Red-Out of the game, suspension in subsequent game(s)

You get cards for breaking certain rules set in place by FIFA judged to be "Yellow card offences", you can also get in for continued or persistent breaking of rules that are not considered card offences (like a series of small fouls after two or three you would normally see a player getting booked).

You can get a straight red card depending on the severity of the offence.

A lot of what you get carded for is down to perception of the referee.

Yellow is like a final warning, you do not go off the pitch for any period of time for it.

Red-Out of the game, suspension in subsequent game(s)

You get cards for breaking certain rules set in place by FIFA judged to be "Yellow card offences", you can also get in for continued or persistent breaking of rules that are not considered card offences (like a series of small fouls after two or three you would normally see a player getting booked).

You can get a straight red card depending on the severity of the offence.

A lot of what you get carded for is down to perception of the referee.

Thank You very much!

Argentinia will declare war on germany if they get knocked out in the quaterfinales again... to be honest i belive that Argentinia might be the better team since they already have been playing together for a while while germanys team is pritty fresh put together and very young. On the other side Agentinias defence was begging for goals in some of the games...

I think hollan will take Brazil. I hope Ghana stais in just for the sake of an afrikan team being in and Spain will slaughter Paraguay.

After a pritty shit world cup it´s a good thing to have a few days of. We need more exiting games.

semttuloo.jpg

Looks like the defender on the far side could just be playing him on, although it's difficult to tell because the camera angle isn't straight-on to the pitch.

I fancy Argentina to take Germany, but it should be the tightest game of the quarters. Argentina will probably have Masch + the back four back at all times and Germany's full backs seem to be more attacking - plus they don't seem to have any hard-tackling midfielders - I know Schweinsteiger isn't and Khedeira seems to get forward too much. So it'll probably up to Messi, Higuain and the other striker to create chances on their own but I fancy them to do it because Germany will likely have fewer men back all the time.

Capdevilla, you disgustingly dirty bastard. Absolutely horrendous.

If it was against ANYONE other than Portugal (maybe Italy? Nah...), I'd be enraged. But instead, I'll just laugh about how disgusting it was and the fact he got away with it and 'earned' a Portuguese player a straight red. Brilliant.

This is like, the World Cup of Redemption or something. England get a perfectly good goal ruled out against Germany, Italy go out due to all manner of diving and offside decisions, and now Portugal (though I've no doubt it didn't affect the result at all) get a man sent off for the most brilliantly awesome/horrendously bad bit of play acting I've EVER seen.

There was no contact AT ALL. Like, literally none. Capdevilla has the balls to not only go down like he's been shot, but then GO OFF THE PITCH FOR TREATMENT! I wish the physios were from FIFA instead of the respective federations, because that would've been brilliant. "Uhh, there's... there's nothing wrong with you, dude. Srsly. Ref? Might've got this one wrong..."

I don't know, in the far away replay it did look like he might've gotten an elbow in his face, couldn't really tell.

Costa definitely swung an elbow, but it didn't look any more than the natural swing you'd usually use to try to gain momentum to jump high. The closeup replay showed there was absolutely zero contact. Me and all my mates were watching it in shock, then almost pissed ourselves laughing when we remembered who was playing. :shifty:

If Capdevilla isn't fined in a Rivaldo-like fashion, I riot. Then laugh at Portugal more.

Edited by Farmer Reil

Wasn't the sending off more for intent than anything?

Wasn't the sending off more for intent than anything?

Roy Keane would have never started a game if that was the case.

• Like 1

Capdevila's Wikipedia page gave me a chuckle.

In June 2010 he also proved to be a top rate actor by successfully faking an ear injury in front of thousands of people and warranting the wonderful Republic of Portugal's National Team a red card - he is being tipped as a favourite for the next Oscar gala, featuring amidst such names as Jude Law, Cristiano Ronaldo and other such cheaters.
Edited by regia