NBA 2012-13 Thread

This is a parallel move with upside down the line dependent on the further development of Ed Davis and Austin Daye. Memphis should be glad they found a willing taker for one of the worst contracts since Arenas. Grizzlies seem well-run, which strikes me that they'll be stuck in that perpetual playoff small-market team role that Indiana fills in the East. You gotta get awful if you ever want to be good. Granted they had their chance but took Thabeet.

The known quantity philosophy hasn't really built a winner outside of big market teams who can manage to assemble superteams. I agree with what you're saying, the draft is a huge risk, but just look at the Oklahoma City Thunder. Then look at the Indiana Pacers. One team was built through great draft picks, the other through great personnel acquisitions. One will contend for the NBA title for a generation, one will make the playoffs every year but probably won't be making it out of their conference.

Yeah but OKC didn't get those picks through trades which was more my point. They got it the old fashioned way. I mean nobody was expecting Phoenix to get a lottery pick from the Lakers this year. Now it looks possible. Trading a known player for an unprotected draft pick (unless you are trading to a really shitty team) to me makes less sense than taking a good player.

I don't think you trade mid-year when draft picks are your main pay off.

I like the trade for Detroit, we got Jose Calderon in return. He's another expiring deal which will give us even more flexibility going into the off-season, plus we can kick the tires on Calderon for the rest of the season (or flip him again as I've heard that's a possibility).

I'm glad and sad to see Tayshaun go. He was obviously a big part of the good times in the last ten years, but it was time to part with him. He's still a good player, as consistent as anybody has been in the league (seriously, look at his stats since he became a full time starter, they have barely changed in ten years). He should work out for Memphis, he's playoff tested, he has a ring, and he brings a veteran presence to the team.

Austin Daye hasn't panned out, he's very rarely shown any glimpse of being a decent player. I wanted to vomit when they drafted him, sorry Memphis.

Gasol is now untradeable. They likely won't/shouldn't/can't move Howard.

I really think the writing is on the wall, I keep expecting them to turn things around given their strength on the offensive side. I figure they'll do enough where they can get in as a lower seed (6 or 7). But I truly think the writing might be on the wall at his point. Whatever does happen will wind up being too little and too late.

Fuck I love Rubio. Am trying to work out what you would trade Pek for? I don't think you'd get anything close to his worth in a trade, at the same time if he leaves as an unrestricted free agent we're fucked.

The Sixers are five games under .500 and hosting the Indiana Pacers isn't doing the Wells Fargo Center any favors, either. Things are so desperate in Philly that one fan was able to scoop up 18 tickets on stub-hub for $.04. He bought the entire row and told Ryan Petzar he did so because it "seemed like a funny idea, and the extra space to stretch out was a plus."

Having seen 76ers tickets...pretty good seats, for 25 cents earlier this season...its true. But sadly, the guy could've saved himself some money and just bought one ticket..

The Pacers aren't a draw for... well... anyone. Reggie Miller is not coming through that door.

Sixers suffer because they've always been 4th on the Philadelphia pecking order, and now that the Flyers are playing the 76ers are completely forgotten. It's the nature of a four-team city, fans will usually choose whether to focus on the hockey team or the basketball team. Now if the Flyers were pitiful and the Sixers were in the battle for a division crown things would be different.

So, Derrick Rose's original return date was rumored for around February 22nd, however Rose and others have been saying he won't be returning until March, that makes me sad and happy at the same time. I don't really know if we can beat Miami in the Playoffs with Rose, but we'll certainty get further with him at 100% than we will without him

Portland's 26 points at Halftime last night was the lowest in the Shot-Clock Era. Quite remarkable as well considering they were playing New Orleans.

Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose says he is making progress in his rehab from reconstructive knee surgery but his left leg "still isn't right."

Speaking with reporters after Wednesday night's 71-69 loss to the Celtics in Boston, Rose said he won't rush back just to play this season if he isn't ready.

"If it's where it's taking me a long time and I'm still not feeling right, I wouldn't mind missing this year," he said Wednesday night in the visitors' locker room at TD Garden.

"I would love to play this year. I would love to. That's why I approach my rehab and my workout so hard. I'm trying to get back out there on the court as quickly as possible. But if I have anything later on there's no point."

Rose tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during a playoff-opening win over Philadelphia, and the top-seeded Bulls wound up losing to the 76ers in the first round. He has not played this season, but he has been practicing and traveling with the team.

Although he has given few interviews, Rose told USA Today in a story posted Tuesday that he wouldn't come back until he was "110 percent," adding that he was "far away, far away" from being ready.

"My leg still isn't feeling right," he said in Boston on Wednesday, adding that he is unable to dunk. "I know if I could dunk off stride, I know I'd be out there playing. But I can't."

Rose said the team is not rushing him to come back.

"It's really on me to make a decision when I'm going to play again. So that's cool that they left it up to me," he said. "That's the last thing I'm thinking about, coming back too soon. I know it's all on me. I've just got to make a decision when I'm ready."

One concern, Rose said, is that he doesn't want to have to avoid contact. Although he's working on his outside shot, he doesn't want to limit his game once he returns.

"I'm working on my shot, but you're not going to label me as a shooter," he said. "My game is always going to be driving."

Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau said in Chicago on Tuesday that nothing had changed in the team's outlook.

"He's right on schedule," he said. "When he's ready, we'll know. We'll go from there. That's why we've approached it the way we have. The team has to concentrate on their improvement and their next opponent. He has to do his rehab, and then at some point, he'll rejoin us and we'll go from there."

Rose said he played three-on-three and one-on-one recently and hasn't had any setbacks.

"That's a good thing right now, to go in every day just knowing you're getting better," he said.

The Bulls had the best record in the Eastern Conference last season and were among the favorites to reach the NBA finals before losing Rose and bowing out to the eighth-seeded 76ers. This year, they weren't expected to do much - at least until he returns.

But Chicago is fifth in the East heading into this weekend's All-Star break, and just a half-game away from home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs.

"It's great knowing that they are winning games," Rose said. "It seems like they are fighting for me out there. So I don't have anything but to respect them, for how hard they've been working out there in practice and when they are going out there playing as a team."

I teared up a little...
Also, Hedo Turkoglu was suspended for failing a steroids test, he's looking at 20 games for this