NBA 2012-13 Thread

According to ESPN's Marc Stein: Jerry Sloan, Jeff Van Gundy, Mike Brown and Phil Jackson are at the top of the Nets' list.

EDIT: SI/NBA.com report that neither Van Gundy nor Phil Jackson are interested in the job. Good luck, Nets.

Edited by Powerhart

Read on ESPN that there was speculation they might try and get a hold of Larry Brown due to his relationship with Billy King but that's just speculation on their part. Still, I'd rather him then Mike Brown and I don't see Sloan going to Brooklyn.

I don't know if Deron Williams is in the Rod Strickland, Latrell Sprewell, and Derrick Coleman category of bad teammates since his problems seem to be more with coaches but he's certainly this generations's Allen Iverson at the least right?

Iverson and Larry Brown eventually fixed their issues. I don't recall Iverson getting anyone fired.

EDIT: I did forget about the post Brown stuff, but it still doesn't seem as bad as Deron Williams.

Edited by Red Devil-Taker316

I might be way off as I've read far more about Deron than I've seen, but isn't it more he's the opposite of Iverson? Iverson felt he didn't need a coach and could generate 40 points by himself or was more than happy to try to. Williams' seems to be more a super competitive QB who wants to win but needs things to be run a certain way to be successful.

To me what he said makes sense, why have a high level PG if your main style of play is running isos? They would have been better off getting Ellis, Harden, Evans or any other high volume combo guard. Especially when Williams is carrying injuries. At the same time Utah were a young athletic team and whilst Williams could play like Stockton there was little point when there was no Malone or Hornacek on the team. Both coaches were guilty of coaching to their style or system rather than to the assets they had.

If Kobe chews out a coach or teammate it's because he's 'competitive' or a 'winner' but if you play on shit teams and do it you're uncoachable.

I might be way off as I've read far more about Deron than I've seen, but isn't it more he's the opposite of Iverson? Iverson felt he didn't need a coach and could generate 40 points by himself or was more than happy to try to. Williams' seems to be more a super competitive QB who wants to win but needs things to be run a certain way to be successful.

To me what he said makes sense, why have a high level PG if your main style of play is running isos? They would have been better off getting Ellis, Harden, Evans or any other high volume combo guard. Especially when Williams is carrying injuries. At the same time Utah were a young athletic team and whilst Williams could play like Stockton there was little point when there was no Malone or Hornacek on the team. Both coaches were guilty of coaching to their style or system rather than to the assets they had.

If Kobe chews out a coach or teammate it's because he's 'competitive' or a 'winner' but if you play on shit teams and do it you're uncoachable.

For years, Kobe was labeled uncoachable after the Phil left in 2004 and Rudy T had health problems (which Jackson wrote in his book, that he didn't expect Rudy T to be able to handle Bryant.).

If a player is truly a superstar player, he should be able to adapt to a Coach's system. In the late 80s early 90s, it was all said that the triangle would ruin Jordan, and hell even Jordan thought that too (all detailed in the Jordan Rules). But he adapted and figured it out. Anytime a player feels they can't work in a system, that's basically saying "I have these flaws". Jerry Sloan and Avery Johnson have 3 finals appearances between them, it is not as if Deron is dealing with the Tim Floyds of coaches either.

Also, those Utah teams were hardly shit teams.

Iverson's best years came when the system was adapted to him and he played more of a SG role and Eric Snow started alongside him at PG. Iverson wouldn't mold into a traditional PG so the system was adapted to him. It worked out, he would have single-handedly brought a title to Philadelphia in 2001 if Shaq wasn't doing things we'll never see again that year.

The thing with Williams is, in Brooklyn especially, there was clearly a disconnect from Avery to what would work best on the court. That's bad coaching and not a malcontent player. It went beyond Deron Williams. Yes, Avery Johnson got a team to The Finals, but they were built very much around the philosophy he employs. The players Billy King brought into Brooklyn do not fit the Avery Johnson style of coaching, the problem goes beyond Deron Williams. I think it was a panic move for a team that needs to work on moving up annually, but they seem to have convinced themselves they can win it all this season.

Also, it seems more apparent from newer reports that it was the owner who wanted Johnson gone and not Deron Williams chasing him out of town. I like this guy, I think he's going to really be a fun owner to watch as his team sputters towards mediocrity every year.

I think it was a panic move for a team that needs to work on moving up annually, but they seem to have convinced themselves they can win it all this season.

Also, it seems more apparent from newer reports that it was the owner who wanted Johnson gone and not Deron Williams chasing him out of town. I like this guy, I think he's going to really be a fun owner to watch as his team sputters towards mediocrity every year.

When they traded for Joe Johnson, that's when they believed they had the tools needed to win it. They'll get into the East playoffs, but there is no way they could handle Miami or the Knicks. Hell, I'd say the Indiana and the Hawks would beat them in six or seven (at least if things started within the next week or so). You hit the nail on the head about the owner's reaction to this team bobbing along every year, though. Either he'll be a Russian Steinbrenner or out of the league in five years.