NBA 2012-13 Thread

Dolan probably hasn't ticked off the basketball gods yet.

I was hoping Mike Brown would've proven the skeptics wrong. But...his $18 million contract's all guaranteed, right? The man doesn't need to ever work again.

I like Sloan as an alternate choice if Jackson doesn't take the job. Moreso than D'Antoni.

That being said, interim head coach Bickerstaff's winning game plan was to have the players "go have fun". They can probably coach themselves back into contention.

So just like everyone expected, the Lakers hired Mike D'Antoni.

Mike D'Antoni signed a four-year deal with the Lakers. Phil Jackson was "asking for the moon," accoring to source familiar w/ the situation.

Definitely did not see this coming. It was looking like Phil was a sure thing.

D'Antoni won't be the head coach long. He doesn't know the meaning of the word defense, and that worked out soooo well when he coached the Knicks, didn't it?

Completely untrue, look at the numbers. Suns teams played league average defense, there's an article about it over at Grantland today, in fact.

Secondly, the Knicks didn't have Nash, Kobe, Howard and Gasol.

D'Antoni won't be the head coach long. He doesn't know the meaning of the word defense, and that worked out soooo well when he coached the Knicks, didn't it?

Completely untrue, look at the numbers. Suns teams played league average defense, there's an article about it over at Grantland today, in fact.

Secondly, the Knicks didn't have Nash, Kobe, Howard and Gasol.

Nash is old. Kobe is NBA old. Gasol is soft as tissue. They don't have any spot up shooters. Pick and roll with Nash and Gasol/Howard means Kobe doesn't get involved in every offensive position. This has disaster written all over it.

If OKC hadn't pissed away their title hopes by trading Harden, they would have had another shot this year. Barring LeBron or Wade suffering a season ending injury no one touches them this year. It's pretty rare that my interest in the NBA season is over before Thanksgiving, but here we are <_<

I'm not saying they'll win the title, but it's not like they're going to miss the playoffs, and D'Antoni is almost certainly not getting fired this year.

Never said D'Antoni would get fired this year. I'm sure they'll wait until January to do it.

Seriously, though, I don't see him lasting the entire contract they gave him (3 years with a team option for a 4th) unless they make a deep playoff run the first two. And like naiwf said, this has disaster written all over it.

I've never seen anything saying Phil Jackson was "asking for the moon", other than them discussing it on Mike & Mike and saying that was a rumor that the Lakers ownership has already denied. They just decided to go in another direction, and stunned both the players and fans.

Phil has stated money was never even discussed as it wasn't going to be an issue, instead he asked for certain road games off, Lakers told him to go away for the weekend and give them an answer about if he was interested Monday (which he took as the job being his if he wanted). Phil said he then got a call Sunday night telling him they had just hired D'Antoni.