NBA 2012-13 Thread

Part of me thinks Lebron would have considered a return had his Miami run been a failure, but he's already got two titles and counting. Plus, Dan Gilbert is a massive douche. There's no way he's going back to Cleveland, or even LA for that matter.

With that being said, Lebron could always come back to the Cavs during his twilight years and end his career there.

I just don't see Lebron joining the Lakers. Why would he switch to a team that has nothing to offer but an aging Kobe Bryant? It's just like the Dwight Howard thing. People assume that just because they're the Lakers and they've been great historically that every big name free agent will want to go there. They're not the same organization that they used to be, and the sooner everyone realizes that the better.

Pretty much. The Lakers rebuilding process is only going to last a season. They'll have a ton of cap room after next season so they'll be able to add multiple pieces.

That was before HeadCheese's post. This idea that the Lakers suddenly can't get FAs because of an aging Kobe is pretty laughable actually. It's LA, people want to play there. Just because Dwight didn't, doesn't mean that other players don't.

As in he won't go to them because they're rebuilding, or they won't go after him? Because if either team gets Lebron, they're rebuilt.

He won't go to them, he's not gonna go somewhere that doesn't have other established stars already. And if he goes anywhere they'll have to be young stars.

That was before HeadCheese's post. This idea that the Lakers suddenly can't get FAs because of an aging Kobe is pretty laughable actually. It's LA, people want to play there. Just because Dwight didn't, doesn't mean that other players don't.

You're taking me a bit out of context there. I never said players aren't going to find L.A attractive because they are. I'm saying that it would make little sene for Lebron to go there when he has a good thing in Miami right now. People seem to ignore that, however, and go into default "obviously the Lakers will get him" mode. Likewise, it made a ton more sense for Dwight to go to Houston. Still, you had people swearing he would re-sign with the Lakers simply because they are the Lakers.

I could see Carmelo in L.A, for sure.

Edited by HeadCheese

Well, no, a majority said he'd re-sign because they could offer him $30 million more coupled with the fact that it's the Lakers.

And did it happen? No.

Money aside, I got tired of hearing that Dwight would re-sign with the Lakers because they would build him a statue outside of Staples in 20 years. I heard that way too many times on ESPN.

Edited by HeadCheese

Obviously the answer to that question is no but that doesn't mean it wasn't a valid reason to assuming he would.

I'm not sure what your point is, though. If you're trying to say that the Lakers aren't what they used to be then you'll need more proof than one player choosing to play elsewhere.

Changing gears, the Lakers have apparenly used amnesty on Metta World Peace. I'm guessing they're officially going into 'tank for Wiggins' mode now.

As for the Lakers not being what they used to be, isn't it widely recognized that Jim Buss has been hurting the Lakers for quite a while now? Choosing D'Antoni over Phil Jackson out of spite being an example of that.

Edited by HeadCheese

I'm not sure that's necessarily indicative of it because he was pretty bad last season anyways.

The idea of tanking is odd to me, though. Teams in other sports go through rebuilding mode all the time and it's considered the smart thing to do for the franchise but in the NBA it's tanking?

I'm not sure that's necessarily indicative of it because he was pretty bad last season anyways.

The idea of tanking is odd to me, though. Teams in other sports go through rebuilding mode all the time and it's considered the smart thing to do for the franchise but in the NBA it's tanking?

A lot of that has to do with the NBA having a history of teams tanking for a prized draft pick. That's the reason the draft lottery was put in place. In a league that features only 12 players per team, getting one superstar pick can turn everything around. Couple that with the hype that Wiggins is supposed to be the next LBJ(not that I believe that), and you will see a lot of teams tanking to get him this year.

Edited by HeadCheese

Yeah, in most sports, a rebuilding team doesn't go after big ticket free agents, and any trades they tend to make are done with an eye towards the future, but it's still going to try to win as many games as possible with their weaker lineup. In the NBA, teams seem to actively try to lose games, especially with big name draftees like Lebron and Wiggins coming up.

• Like 1

I'd be willing to bet that there's a lot less effort in other sports than people realize but I get the point. Still, anybody that's, say a Bucks fan, complaining about tanking is odd to me considering that's really the only way they'll land a superstar anyways.

In other news, Brian Scalabrine is an assistant with the Warriors now. They also signed Marreese Speights to replace Carl Landry. Warriors are going to be pretty damn tough this year.

I'd be willing to bet that there's a lot less effort in other sports than people realize but I get the point. Still, anybody that's, say a Bucks fan, complaining about tanking is odd to me considering that's really the only way they'll land a superstar anyways.

In other news, Brian Scalabrine is an assistant with the Warriors now. They also signed Marreese Speights to replace Carl Landry. Warriors are going to be pretty damn tough this year.

Pretty damn tough!? With Scalabrine coaching, they might as well just give them the trophy now! :lol:

In all seriousness, the Warriors have a great shot at winning the west next year.

Tanking is also something that gets thrown around in the NFL too. With a few weeks to go teams sometimes rest a lot of their big-name players for health reasons in a lost season. The upshot of this is a higher draft pick, especially in years with franchise QBs available. In the NBA it is different because of how much one player can transform a team, but at the end of a lost season it doesn't make sense to suddenly try winning games when you can keep all your good players on the bench so they don't get hurt and possibly land a higher draft pick.

Next year's draft is more than Wiggins though, it's shaping up to be very deep if the high school class this year is any indication.