NBA 2012-13 Thread

I can't see Dallas getting Asik... I also don't think they'll be making the playoffs next season even if they do get him, if they do, they'll be fighting for that 8th seed again... I think the top 7 in the west is pretty set at the moment with the exception been Denver but I can never tell with them...

• Like 1

Mavs are totally getting LeBron next summer!

I feel bad for Dirk, whatever the hell Cuban is doing isn't working and he's going to end up spending his last few good years with a team hovering around 38 wins a season.

I can't see Dallas getting Asik... I also don't think they'll be making the playoffs next season even if they do get him, if they do, they'll be fighting for that 8th seed again... I think the top 7 in the west is pretty set at the moment with the exception been Denver but I can never tell with them...

Karl is gone. They won't come close to doing what they did when he was there.

Hawks resign Korver to $9m/yr. Pricey, but still $4.5m less than what Smith was getting.

Hell no to Asik. Horford's the starter, and to pay $8.5m for a backup (he says hoping like hell Korver starts at SF to keep him from looking like a moron)? Yeah, he's probably a slight bit better than Zaza was, but Zaza was also damn cheaper.

Hawks starting five will probably look like this:

Horford -- Mike Scott -- Korver -- Lou Williams -- Jeff Teague (Shelvin Mack if they can't resign him or someone decent.)

Statistically it looks fine, but I don't expect this team to really do much of anything this year. I mean, we may still sneak into the playoffs because it's the East (lol), but this lineup smells.

Hawks resign Korver to $9m/yr. Pricey, but still $4.5m less than what Smith was getting.

Hell no to Asik. Horford's the starter, and to pay $8.5m for a backup (he says hoping like hell Korver starts at SF to keep him from looking like a moron)? Yeah, he's probably a slight bit better than Zaza was, but Zaza was also damn cheaper.

Horford -- Mike Scott -- Korver -- Lou Williams -- Jeff Teague (Shelvin Mack if they can't resign him or someone decent.)

Statistically it looks fine, but I don't expect this team to really do much of anything this year. I mean, we may still sneak into the playoffs because it's the East (lol), but this lineup smells.

>_>

Asik is so so solid I'd say he's a fair bit better than Zaza.

Hasn't Horford done much better at the 4 though? I don't really understand the Milsap signing. Horford is getting forced out of his more effective 4 and is trapped at center.

>_>

Asik is so so solid I'd say he's a fair bit better than Zaza.

Hasn't Horford done much better at the 4 though? I don't really understand the Milsap signing. Horford is getting forced out of his more effective 4 and is trapped at center.

This season will be a good test of that. Smith was trying to be Lebron and play everything, but he was naturally a PF. Horford's got the size and brain to be an effective center, and I think that is where the Millsap signing comes into play. Al can now focus solely on being the five. I think the Asik talk may be an insurance policy if Al doesn't adapt to being a full-time center.

Josh Smith to Detroit for 4 years, 56 million

Goooooooooood riddance! Glad to see Atlanta devoid of talent prima-donnas.

• Like 1

I don't know, some say he'll play SF, some say he'll start at SF but see more minutes at PF (?) and then a lot of folks speculate that we trade Greg Monroe.

Edit - And what do I think? I like it honestly, the Pistons can use an athletic player that can play some D, block shots, and score. He's not the ideal jump shooting wing we really needed, but he'll add excitement and I can't imagine him hurting us. The contract isn't that awful either I don't think, at 27 years old and it's only a four year deal, it's a lot better that what we committed to Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva.

I think it's one of those signings that might end up looking better depending on some of our other moves. We have Stuckey and Villanueva as expiring deals, and a young big in Monroe that could be tradeable assets to bring us a wing or a PG. I like Monroe but he's probably hit his ceiling, and his D is shaky at best. A front court of Drummond and Smith might work out better, but it's also probably wise to see what sort of tandem Monroe and Drummond make first.

But yeah, I like the idea of Smith at SF before we do anything hasty.

Edited by VerbalPuke

Would Josh Smith fit as a three? I haven't really seen him play much, but his size and willingness to shoot seems like it could be a fit at the three. That would be a massive rotation with Drummond-Monroe-Smith.

EDIT: Nevermind, you answered it as I was posting.

It's Dumars make or break year. He can't afford to build slow. Smith is a dominant defensive player who is attrocious on offense according to advanced metrics but I think he gives you wins end of the day. It's not a great contract. It's not a great fit either, I think the spacing will be absolutely atrocious. It will force Smith into the three where he is headache inducing. I wouldn't be suprised to see them try and shift Monroe. Knight isn't the answer at point and I think I remember the Pistons saying they wanted to develop him at the two. If the Pistons had the assets for a Rondo move? Featuring Monroe, Stuckey, Picks? I don't know if it's enough but I think Rondo-Smith-Drummond is the core of an athletic, defensively sound, up-tempo squad that could just maybe save Dumars job. Not that he deserves it. I'm beggining to think that Billups-Sheed-Hamilton-Wallace era was sheer luck.

And as a Sixers fan I love the move. Anything that puts us further into the basement. Losses is wins baby.

Edited by rocksta
  • Like 1

I don't know what Detroit is thinking with the Smith signing, he's not gonna fill their holes.

This was rather oddly phrased, to say the least. :pervert:

I think that's a great signing, and it adds to my belief that Cleveland will see the playoffs before Charlotte.

Yeah, I actually really like what they're doing. Bennett's position seems to be up in the air but I always thought he was the best overall player in the draft. And then their pickups of Jack and Earl Clark are a bit under the radar but solid moves to improve their depth. And with Varejao's contract expiring, they'll still have room to add some pieces next year too.