Football Manager 2014

Dan

I conceded a joke of a goal with Ipswich in the last game of the season. 3-0 up at QPR when Tommy Smith waltzes back to the edge of our own area with the ball and passes it to the keeper. At least it would be a pass to the keeper if he wasn't leaning on the other side of the goalpost, totally oblivious to the ball crossing the line for a Tommy Smith OG. o_O

In better news, I guided Ipswich to 4th in the Championship and a play off semi final against Forest awaits. We beat them comfortably at home a few weeks ago but my squad is being held together by children's prayers at the moment.

Good luck. Ipswich never win in the Playoffs (except that one time).

Not a bad (in game) week.

Beat Juve 3-0 at OT in the CL Quarters, then edged past Southampton on Pens in the FA Cup to reach the final where I'll play Crystal Palace of the Championship, and then rested players as we lost 4-2 in the 2nd leg. It's Barca in the Semi's, and Chelsea play Valencia.

One of us had the better draw there... :(

Ipswich win the playoffs! Beat Forest 4-2 on aggregate to set up a final with Brighton (with top goalscorer for the season Ulloa). Two Paul Anderson goals and a Tommy Smith header see us go up with a 3-1 win! Rewarded with a lovely new contract and at least £3m to spend. Lord knows how I'll stay up though...

• Like 1

I hope Stoker sees that and thinks he is reading the transfer thread.

I'm sure he is young and fit enough to survive a minor heart attack...

It got very dramatic in Gibraltar as on the last day of the season my 2nd place Manchester 62 team defeated 1st place Glacis United and won the league on goal difference!

WE'RE GOING TO THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE!

Finished my second season in charge, and City won the league this time, by 4pts. I did manage to finish 2nd though, which is an improvement over 4th last time. And I beat Crystal Palace in the FA Cup Final.

Totally putting the blame on injuries though. I was in with a shot at winning the league up til the final day, but a run in of Barca, FA Cup Final, Barca again, Man City, Chelsea wasn't exactly great considering Shaw, Garay, Herrera, Robben, RVP and Mata all suffered injuries keeping them out for the run in. I lost the first leg of the CL semi 3-0, so put a weakened team out at OT ahead of the FA Cup Final (I was literally down to the bare bones at this point) and won it 2-0. Very nearly forced extra time too, so I was pleased with the fight-back. Naturally, it took until the 119th minute to beat Palace though, who finished 11th in the Championship. <_<

I did manage to get the deals I wanted doing, done over the summer. Fletcher and Valencia left as their contracts came to an end, and I sold on Hernandez for 10m, Zaha for 5m, and Nani for 16.5m to CL semi-finalists Valencia (beat Chelsea 1-0 at the Bridge, then lost 5-1 at home...Barca won the final 2-1).

Keeping in mind that I wanted to keep the squad as 'current' as possible, my main target was Angel Di Maria, who I signed for under 20m. The Nani money pretty much paid for him, so my budget of around 20m went on Victor Wanyama, who's being brought in as Carrick is getting on a bit and won't stay for more than two more years.

I almost got Rojo too, but despite agreeing the 3.5m fee and agreeing a contract, his "owner" demanded another 10m for full rights, which I just didn't have, so couldn't get that one to go through.

With no budget left, I took to the loan market for a back-up striker. RVP is BOUND to get injured and Rooney doesn't seem to do the job for me up front. Welbeck hasn't really set the world on fire either there. Daniel Sturridge was available, so I figured fuck it, give it a try - and surprisingly, Liverpool allowed him to come. A player who's played for Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool AND United. Is that a first?

Anyway, 2015/16 squad;

GK De Gea

RB Montoya/Jones

CB Vertonghen/Vermaelen

CB Garay

LB Shaw/Blind/Evra

DM Carrick/Wanyama

DM/CM Fellaini/Herrera

RAM Robben/Mata

LAM Di Maria/Januzaj/Welbeck

CAM Rooney

TM RVP/Sturridge

There's also a bunch of youngsters who I'll use when I can, notably Nick Powell, who Arsenal offered 14m for. He's not going to be a consistent starter any time soon, but if he keeps progressing he'll be worth even more in a years time.

-----

Some of the players I have are quite versatile, so can shuffle around the defence/attack a lot. I've decided that if I don't win the league at the 3rd attempt, with what is definitely by best squad, I'll just give up. Chelsea and City losing like 6 games between them in a season does make winning it quite difficult though. :shifty: