Football Manager 2022

Lineker

The portion of my brain dedicated to remembering CM 01/02 gems is far bigger than it has any right to be. Aside from some of the ones Adam mentioned: Abgar Barsom, Michalis Konstantinou, Dionisis Chiotis, Emile Mpenza (shame he was pants at City IRL).

You could probably fill your squad with Scandiwegians in that game and do well.

• Like 1

I first game was CM 97/98 on MSDOS. I’ve bought/played every edition since then bar FM20. 

A quarter of a century pretty much spent playing Championship/Football Manager on and off. Mental. No wonder why I can’t shake the addiction. 

Before that I remember playing Premier Manager ‘95 on the Mega Drive not really fully understanding what I was doing but I loved it.

• Like 2

I played a lot of Ultimate Soccer Manager as a child. I think I eventually played every version.

Because we had USM2 for ages. I was really familiar with 1996/97 Premier League squads for a while.

14 hours ago, FLiam said:

I first game was CM 97/98 on MSDOS. I’ve bought/played every edition since then bar FM20. 

A quarter of a century pretty much spent playing Championship/Football Manager on and off. Mental. No wonder why I can’t shake the addiction. 

Before that I remember playing Premier Manager ‘95 on the Mega Drive not really fully understanding what I was doing but I loved it.

This is pretty much a mirror of me, I was always obsessed with building new stands in Premier Manager 95, and I miss those great scoreboard animations you'd get in game. My fondest memories of CM 97/98 was when a load of school mates would get a chance to stay at one of our houses overnight and really get into it on a multiplayer game. I fondly remember my mate buying Denilson from Real Betis from under my nose (I was a huge fan of him) and then we ended up playing each other in the FA Cup Semi Final, and Denilson missed the deciding penalty costing them the game. Never had I experienced such redemption and joy at the same time.

20 hours ago, METALMAN said:

00/01 was my first CM but it was 01/02 that I played the most by far. Largely because I didn’t have a computer that could handle any of the subsequent editions until 06/07.      : /

00/01 was my first one too...I think we got it as some sort of co-promotion with the Telegraph!?

My dad had extensively played CM3 and 98/99 (unless they're the same one) so I had played and think even completed a season on CM3, but I was quite young so didn't really know what I was doing. 00/01 was the first one I really got stuck into and knew what was what with, but 01/02 just took it to another level and I was still seriously playing it into my 20s.

The only other subsequent edition that I enjoyed was FM08, which I must've poured months of my life into as a teenager. That probably perfected the genre for the time period for me, and anything since has drifted away from what I loved about the series. The 3D engine and boring meetings mechanics rather spoiled it all and I struggle to get into them anymore.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 21:12, King Ellis said:

You could probably fill your squad with Scandiwegians in that game and do well.

CM01/02 was all about the Greeks. Papadopoulos and Skalidis up front, scoring 80 goals each a season. Patzatzoglu and Tobros in behind. Chiotsis between the sticks.

5 hours ago, Lineker said:

FM08 was perfection. The only one that came close to touching it for years thereafter was FM11.

I really liked both of these. I didn't mind those in between but I kept playing 11 up to 14 and still remember how bad FM12 felt.

I started with the first italian league version of Championship Manager. One of my dad's friends from when I was a kid fixed computers. It's all I ever knew about him. Sometimes he had to fix ours, and he would bring me games he'd copied from other people's PCs. He brought me every single pc game I played from 1988 to around 1995/96.

It was this one:

msdos_Championship_Manager_Italia_1993.g

Then I had the 96/97 and 97/98 versions (the second one was the first CM you could run 3 leagues simultaneously).

I played it non stop (even more so than the 01/02 version) during my football obsessed years up to 01/02. I only had one more up to FM06. Can't remember which but didn't play it too much. From that moment on, I was already working so I could get it every year and did so up to FM14. Then I stopped again because I didn't play it enough so it was kinda pointless to get new versions I'd play half a season and quit. I restarted in 2018 I think? The game has changed a lot, and there are loads of new features, but to be fair, most of the stuff that has been added lately is pointless to me. I was ok with how the game looked back in FM14. I like the 3D even if it's far from perfect.

Prior to that, I played this absolute classic:

Abandonware Games / The Manager

5 hours ago, Adam said:

00/01 was my first one too...I think we got it as some sort of co-promotion with the Telegraph!?

My dad had extensively played CM3 and 98/99 (unless they're the same one) so I had played and think even completed a season on CM3, but I was quite young so didn't really know what I was doing. 00/01 was the first one I really got stuck into and knew what was what with, but 01/02 just took it to another level and I was still seriously playing it into my 20s.

The only other subsequent edition that I enjoyed was FM08, which I must've poured months of my life into as a teenager. That probably perfected the genre for the time period for me, and anything since has drifted away from what I loved about the series. The 3D engine and boring meetings mechanics rather spoiled it all and I struggle to get into them anymore.

Yeah. CM3 and 98/99 are the same game.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Kraig said:

Did anyone actually play these? At the time, meh. Now? I'd love the nostalgiagasm.

2213880-arsenal_club_football.jpg

I did, the licensing was odd. For instance, this game existed but in other versions of Club Football...Arsenal were called Highbury.

The menus also had a supremely irritating noise that accompanied anytime you moved to a different button. Like a rusty hinge.

I had the Real Madrid version of that! My local Choices store never had the Aston Villa one sadly. Also remember getting it at the same time as Vice City - which was swiftly confiscated when the fam realised what Vice City was. Fun times…

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1