Football Manager 2024

Lineker

29 minutes ago, METALMAN said:

It's kind of weird that the leagues FM offers by default have been rigid for so long but it's nice that its so easy to activate the other leagues seeing as in pretty much every case the data is already there. You just need to turn it on.

Every case. Even leagues of countries/nations without full FIFA memberships. That's very cool, but it's not just "turning it on" though, because you do have to create the "nation rules" file for every country (or, just wait until someone else does it, but in any case, someone has to do it).

I'd like to see more leagues active by default but I assume they don't want to have to pay all the leagues to have them there, when not many people are buying the game because of them.

39 minutes ago, Hobo said:

Its kinda weird they didn't. Was there ever a particular reason why they lost the rights to the J league in the switch over from CM to FM?

Some other company had the rights to use the J-League, IIRC

1 hour ago, Hobo said:

Its also kinda weird that South Africa remains the only African league available by default.

Got to imagine it's a demand and ability to play thing. SA has one of the strongest economies in the region and has people with good enough tech to run newer games. Nigeria would be a good run but the tech generally isn't there. Egypt does surprise me as not being in there though. Definitely a region I would like to see more represented.

41 minutes ago, Naitch said:

Presumably Konami as they're a Japanese company and I recall Japan being one of the earliest licensed teams in the PES series.

Correct, Winning Eleven/PES(/ISS for us oldies) was actually originally created exclusively over the J-League.

Since Linikles has closed the old thread, I'll share my 2023 based news here. Started a data update save with Leeds after the window closed, for as quick as these lads do seem to turn around the latest transfers and what not I will say I'm not sure it can handle relegation properly when it's done in this way, in terms of squad morale at least. If that had happened in game then obviously everyone would want out but everyone seemed pretty chill about it. The only two who showed the slightest signs of wanting away were Bamford and Struijk but, after agreeing prices with them that no one bothered bidding, they happily stayed.

Update didn't factor in any injuries either so was able to use the likes of Firpo and Bamford from the start so engaging HMS Piss the League was easy. Bamford, Piroe and Rutter all had like 15-20 goals with Gnonto, Anthony and James all chipping in as well, even if I had froze Dan James out by the end rather than pay clauses to Man U.

It's a very unique experience to get promoted in these circumstances because usually when you get to the Premier League you're scrambiling to upgrade your team and get new players in but, with the loan squad all coming back, I was getting PL quality players automatically. If anything I had a massively bloated squad and had to get rid of tons of people but didn't really need to get anyone new in aside from a couple of full backs. Bought Alex Scott for like 75m as well because I had nothing else to spend it on. Plus Moise Kean because he was like 4m and looked to be a good pressing forward, not turned up any trees so far but did get a brace away at Everton to underline the power of playing against old teams. 

I'm planning a raid on the Saudi leagues in the Summer to see if that can kickstart an attempt on Europe (if we don't get that this year, I'm floating around upper mid table currently). A lot of people are on the silly money you imagine they would be; CR7, Kante etc but there's a few that are underpaid and undervalued. Kessie is worth about 10-15m, SMS 15-20, Neves has a release clause of 10m, same with Fabinho. Feels like an effective way to load the team with top quality players in the short term whilst prepping wonderkids for the future. 

• Like 2

The biggest thing they need to sort out in future games is the club/manager AI. You've got all these features that are meant to make the game world more dynamic, such as tycoon takeovers, changing club philosophies and prize money alterations, but you always end up seeing the same few teams get promoted and relegated. Whenever an AI club gets more money, it will just bring in players of the same calibre as before, but on hugely inflated wages and transfer fees. Plenty of Youtubers do hundred-plus-year experiments, and the result is that virtually nothing changes, even if they give clubs enormous amounts of money or the best staff.

I remember playing older Championship Manager/Football Manager games and seeing so much more change in how the game world looked after a few years. Maybe it was less realistic, but it was more fun. Right now, it seems that you're operating in a static database of which only your little corner sees any development.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

The biggest thing they need to sort out in future games is the club/manager AI. You've got all these features that are meant to make the game world more dynamic, such as tycoon takeovers, changing club philosophies and prize money alterations, but you always end up seeing the same few teams get promoted and relegated. Whenever an AI club gets more money, it will just bring in players of the same calibre as before, but on hugely inflated wages and transfer fees. Plenty of Youtubers do hundred-plus-year experiments, and the result is that virtually nothing changes, even if they give clubs enormous amounts of money or the best staff.

I remember playing older Championship Manager/Football Manager games and seeing so much more change in how the game world looked after a few years. Maybe it was less realistic, but it was more fun. Right now, it seems that you're operating in a static database of which only your little corner sees any development.

Tbf, that's because usually in those tests they only select english leagues. League/Team reputation stats are pretty much static unless you actually select the league/country.

Personally I play with all leagues selected and I do see major changes after a few years in other countries.

• Like 1

Definitely some encouraging points amongst this release. As I've said before, FM24 has the potential to be seen as the 'holding pattern' FM with the big changes coming in 25 so it's good that they're coming out strong with this. Income being more dynamic in terms of TV deals will be big for those that play 'build a nation' type saves, if you can drag the Swiss league kicking and screaming into the top 5 leages then it seems like the TV money will follow? But, with the way dynamic youth rating was hyped and found to be largely ineffective, I'd say take it with a pinch of salt for now.

Negative transfer funds is interesting too, very curious to see how that functions. The screenshot shows a weeks deadline but can it be more? Like a month, 6 months, a year? Because from a purely gaming point of view, I can see the appeal of adopting a consequences be damned, 'doing a Leeds' type approach where you overspend in the short term in the interests of furthering your team. Like, let's overspend 30, 40, 50m to try and get into Europe and then we'll make it all back that way. With a realism hat on though, would that really happen? To me, you'd have to have either a really slack board or have an untouchable, Fergie/Wenger level of trust and even then I'd be skeptical. I suppose it goes back to the idea of FM being realistic to a certain level, like in real life a manger isn't likely to have full overview of all the things you can do in the game. Hopefully you do have to earn the trust of the board to make full use of it, similar to the transfer retention amount. Would feel a bit cheesy to walk in to a club day one and immediately take them 50m overdrawn.

This particular feature to me feels more like a workaround for some of the other stuff in game, like overcoming not being able to program the board to have a level of foresight in terms of transfers/finance. Like, say you've got 10m budget, you've got a 20m signing due in and you're also selling a 20m player. Only, your transfer in has already had two delays and you can't use another. So this is a way of saying 'Let me spend this 20m and we'll have 20m coming in in a few days to offset it.'

Really though, if it's just a way to bet on yourself in the short term at the risk of the long term finances, you can already do that with the installment functions (see near any lollujo series and the flagrant use of the 'never never') so maybe they're going to look at those as well?