Football Manager 2024

Lineker

I just checked a bunch of random matches from my first season as I wasn't sure about the subs thing, and teams seem to be making plenty of them at regular intervals against me.

In some games they only made two, but others all 5 were made. Often the first is 65mins plus, but in a game where I played Brighton, they made all five. One at HT, another shortly after and then three more late on. I don't doubt that it probably needs tweaking but it's not completely broken.

I had Onana get injured twice consecutively, and despite injuring his finger in a match towards the end of the season, didn't miss any time because of it.

Injuries have been ramped up as a whole though. I've always got 2/3 out minimum, and sometimes 5 or 6.

• Like 1

On 07/11/2023 at 14:29, Baddar said:

I just checked a bunch of random matches from my first season as I wasn't sure about the subs thing, and teams seem to be making plenty of them at regular intervals against me.

In some games they only made two, but others all 5 were made. Often the first is 65mins plus, but in a game where I played Brighton, they made all five. One at HT, another shortly after and then three more late on. I don't doubt that it probably needs tweaking but it's not completely broken.

I had Onana get injured twice consecutively, and despite injuring his finger in a match towards the end of the season, didn't miss any time because of it.

Injuries have been ramped up as a whole though. I've always got 2/3 out minimum, and sometimes 5 or 6.

Yeah I’ve had no issues with subs either.

They modelled the injuries on Rangers I’m afraid. 😂

People are surprised at the increased rate of injuries, but it's something that's happening irl, with 20% more injuries in the 21/22 season compared to 20/21, and the injury rate is only increasing - there were 4 ACL injuries in the Premier League last season, thus far this season, there's been 5 already.

• Like 2

I’ve had occasions with 6 or 7 out but it’s not like that’s not realistic. On the flipside I have times were I’ve got nobody injured for a month of back to back games. 

I think people react horribly when it doesn’t go their way in game. The only thing it doesn’t simulate well is players being off the boil if they missed pre-season injured.

• Like 2

Started a save with most of Central Europe and Scandinavia loaded (basically as many of the non big 5 as I could have without bogging down the loading times too much). Turns out I could have added a few more leagues since this years game breezes by.

Began in Iceland with Fjolnir and won promotion at the first attempt on goal difference despite only winning one of my last 4 games (1 win, 2 draws and a loss on the final day).

After getting an extra £7,000 a week in wage budget (£24k total) I've had a strange post season. I've agreed deals with 6 players to come in February when the transfer window opens, all on decent money for this level (£400-800 a week) thanks to getting rid of some deadwood (including a player/coach who was underwhelming at both but was getting paid £1k a week!) and the players I wanted to keep around all agreeing to pay cuts of about £200-300 a week each I'm approaching the new season with a stronger squad but will be spending about £1,000 a week less than the one that won promotion!

• Like 2

I see the frustration with players kicking up a fuss about nonsense now. 

Started an AS Roma save, the day before the first game of the season (bear in mind I do have first transfer windows off), Pelligrini complains that we don't have enough depth at CB, cue 75% of the team now being unhappy and morale has dropped to almost the lowest level. 

Can't believe this made it past beta stage. Genuinely baffling.

There is no realism in a new manager coming in and almost the entire squad being unhappy and against the manager who has no say in the current squad and cannot fix via transfers.

On 08/11/2023 at 16:35, FestiveJack said:

People are surprised at the increased rate of injuries, but it's something that's happening irl, with 20% more injuries in the 21/22 season compared to 20/21, and the injury rate is only increasing - there were 4 ACL injuries in the Premier League last season, thus far this season, there's been 5 already.

You mean this is happening to other teams? I thought it was a conspiracy against Liverpool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Goalkeeper injuries are getting a bit silly now though. I see a goalkeeper injured in a match seemingly every few games. Already had my starting keeper out for 6 weeks and then my reserve got injured for two weeks. 

I know it's an ongoing joke about FM needing a patch to be playable but this is the worst I can remember it being upon full release. 

Main issues I am finding are too many goals, too many goalkeeper injuries, not enough substitutions by the AI, and players complaining even more than previous games. It clearly has the potential to be a lot better than FM23 but so far, all I can see is that it needs a lot of work.

Other than those things I pointed out, I am reading from people that have simmed multiple seasons that the AI are still not building squads as you would expect - clubs are stockpiling players in the same position, spending huge fees on players that don't play. Considering AI improvement was one of SI's headline feature announcements - I feel really let down by this release so far.

That's not even including the shambles that is the Japanese league not being as functional as they claimed it would.

But at least I can add facepaint to my manager now.

I missed that SI put out a note:

Good evening,  

Please find an update from our Studio Director, Miles Jacobson below: 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,  

In the run-up to the release of FM24 I was really proud of the way that we’d communicated through the campaign – we’d wanted to give more transparency to you all on what was going on in the studio and the information about the new features. The series of blogs that I wrote was part of this, alongside a lot more info than we had historically provided – and we know this candidness was well received by our players.  

Then the Early Access version came out and we dropped the ball a little bit. There are some valid reasons for this but, at the end of the day, we should have been just as open and transparent in the couple of weeks leading up to launch as we have been since early Summer, and we failed on that. And for that, all I can do is apologise, and try and fix it moving forward. 

We knew about a week before release that some asset approvals wouldn’t be complete for day one – and we should have been clearer on this. We do have a disclaimer across stores and our websites stating approvals are ongoing (as we did for Early Access) - but we could have done more. We could have also explained that some licensing agreements have data cut off points for their league which means we can only feature players in that list up to that date. 

But we didn’t let you know. And, again, we apologise for that. We are still working with licensors to get all assets approved, and as we get those approvals, we will roll out missing assets. What we cannot do is add players to the game that joined after the data cut off point – the roster list is set at a particular date as part of the official licensing agreement, and that’s how the license works for us and other partners. 

Another thing that we did during the launch phase this year was a roadmap for when we were going to do feature announcements, and that worked well. So, we’ve decided to do the same for game updates too – albeit with a big caveat that this is what we’re working towards and could be subject to change. 

Before we give you that information though, I also need to explain that the days of us being able to release updates a few hours after we’ve merged the last bit of code are long gone. Many of the platforms that we are on have “submission processes” where the platform tests what they have been sent before allowing it on their platform – something that is much better for the consumer in the bigger picture of things.  

These processes can take anything from a couple of hours to two weeks depending on the platform and how busy they are at any point and with the last couple of versions of the game we’ve tried to have all these updates come at the same time if there are any cross-play possibilities. 

But for our first minor update, which you can find more information about below, we want to release it on platforms as soon as they are approved by the platforms – with the caveat that this may mean that some people may not be able to play network games against people on other platforms during this rollout and crossplay across platforms (such as playing Football Manager Console on PC & Xbox), so if you don’t want to be restricted in that way, which only affects network games & crossplay, then please turn off automatic downloads on your platform.   

We will, of course, let everyone know when the updates are out on each platform on our socials and our forums, and how cross play and network play could be affected. 

Now it’s over to Jimmy who will detail what we’re working on for our first two updates for Football Manager 2024. 

Miles Jacobson – Studio Director, Sports Interactive 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We would like to thank everyone in the community who have given us feedback on Football Manager 2024 since Early Access and Monday’s launch.  

As always, logging issues via our Bug Tracker and your general feedback helps us ensure we can continue to improve your Football Manager experience.  

Within the first of our minor updates, we’ve made changes to various areas across the game.  

Our database will now be further up to date with real world key events. We’ve also made changes to some attributes and kits from Turkey and France respectively. If you’re interested in the work that goes into our database and the research behind it, you can check out our latest blog over on The Byline. 

Most of our fixes involve general gameplay issues that include changes to the frequency of AI loan offers, player unhappiness, as well as duplicated clauses within player contracts that were affecting club finances. Managers’ preferred style of play should now be more varied and accurate, and we have made changes to currency representation and youth league scheduling in certain territories. 

Under the hood, there have been various stability fixes that look to address some higher profile technical issues raised on both our Community Forums and through SEGA support. 

And lastly, the Match Engine is receiving tweaks to Goalkeepers, and particularly their injury frequency. 

Minor Update Change list – Steam, Epic & Microsoft – Coming early next week 

Licensing / Database  

Kit updates 

Updated database to reflect real world key events  

Updated some players in the Turkish data  

Match Engine  

Reduced frequency of injuries to goalkeepers  

Bug fixing  

Stability fixes for crash issues that were reported via our backtrace servers  

Fixed an issue with “Lack of squad depth at Center Back” unhappiness  

Removed duplicate clauses in player negotiations (Transfers & Contracts)  

Fixed an issue which causes AI teams to make an excessive amount of loan offers  

Fixed a bug causing imported FM23 saves staff & managers to default to a “Wing Play” strategy  

Fixed currency representation in Korean  

Fixed an issue with Korean U21 players not having games scheduled 

Content Update change list – Coming soon 

We are also working hard on a wider list of updates with a near future target-date to address some of the other feedback we have received including:

Improvements to AI squad building and substitutions logic 

Further updates to the match engine 

Updates to player interactions  

Quality of life improvements  

Additional stability updates & bug fixes 

Localisation fixes and updates 

Data updates 

Please do not be alarmed if an issue you have raised has not been resolved quite yet. Rest assured, the entire team is working extremely hard behind the scenes.  

Thank you for your patience, feedback and continued support and stay tuned for more information next week.  

Might not be for at least a few weeks before it's properly playable for me. 

I started a save with Frankfurt in Bundesliga, as they're in a really fun situation to start the season. They sold their star ST for big money to PSG, lost their two main attacking midfielders (sold one, Kamada on a free), their best holding mid sold to Sevilla, sold their left WB, and also had their top CB walk on a free too. They've signed replacements, of course, but they're all young/prospects/clearly not as good as the guys Frankfurt lost.

They also have Paxten Aaronson, so the Union fan in me wants to make him a star. However, I kind of wanna wait for more of these bugs to get fixed before I get further invested. Plus, I have had so much fun in FM23 just playing as Wrexham and making them one of the best clubs in the world. 

• Like 1

I'm gonna re-do my graphics for this year but has anyone else had issues previously with OneDrive and know workarounds? Because the SI folder is within My Documents, it automatically tries to back everything up to the cloud which means it's trying to upload gigabytes worth of stuff, hundreds of thousands worth of files that I can't seem to stop. 

It's not a massive issue but I do periodically get pops up saying my OneDrive is full, I have to force shutdown my machine because it's still trying to upload in the background and I get other pop ups in a 'remember this day?' sort of way where it's just the headshot of some Slovakian 4th division centre back.

I thought I had excluded this specific folder from the backup but it just seems to do it anyway regardless.

• Haha 1

• Admin
On 27/10/2023 at 08:20, JasonM said:

Maybe interesting to people who want to do a more analytical approach to recruiting. This is a YouTuber i've checked out in the past mostly for his methodologies on Front Office Football 8, but he's now decided to show off his methodology on FM24 using Python scripts to help analyze what players fit his schemes the best. He also shares and explains all the stuff he made.

It's not a set and forget type of system, and still takes some guesswork into account. But still helps prune and find good scheme fits that helps cut away the chaff.

Interesting, handy 20 minute summary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lineker said:

I'm delighted to announce that I have inked a new three-year deal on improved terms to continue running EWB!

Try not to get too cupset about it.

Pictured: Liniker celebrating his new contract.

Koala - DAB / dancing / dabbing / dabben" Sticker by Mohja-Design |  Redbubble

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I suspect it's down to my management, but have people had issues with throwing away leads constantly? 3 times in my first season I was 3-0 up at half time and drew 3-3, a fourth time this happened but I did manage to nick a late winner. This season I've had it happen once and also lost a game 5-4 after leading 4-0 at half time. I find regularly though I'm good first half and terrible in second half's. Is that likely a fitness issue, or are AI managers just better at reacting to things on the go whilst I should be more proactive in changing things?

• Like 1