Football Manager 2022

Lineker

Part of me feels like it's worth it to keep playing 21 until they fix the match engine and bugs are patched. Although when I do start, I'll probably do my now standard Hertha Berlin save. 

I definitely want to try something zany with tactics this year. Do a clean slate/custom so I can decide individual position pressing, and different ideas for formations and roles. Either having fun with the back 3/Wide CB role; pairing an inverted WB w/a Mezzala CM to cross each other; two actual DMs to play around with a Regista or SV... and have it probably get me sacked!

1st season as Newcastle was...interesting. Whether or not it's an Xbox version issue or just a tweaked database but I couldn't attract the calibre of players that people seemed to be on the beta so no Belotti here. Started out by smashing Man City 4-2 on the opening day but proceeded to not win again in like 12 games or something stupid. My plans of a 5-4-1 with WCB's didn't quite pan out. Also ran with a counter attack system which actually did ok against some of the big teams but I ended up just switching to a bog standard 4-2-3-1 gegenpress and it kinda just worked. So much for the nerf, I guess. Only time it was an issue was playing two games in one week because I have pretty much no squad depth.

I feel like I didn't go too overboard on the signings at first, certainly in volume but I still always had a lot of cash left. Team ended up being:

GK: Dubravka
DL: Phillip Max
DR: Nahuel Molina
DC: Goncalo Inacio
DC: Pierre Kalulu/Schar
MC: Gravenberch/Willock
MC: Zakaria/Sean Longstaff
AML: David Neres/Marcus Edwards
AMC: Aoaur
AMR: St Maximin
ST: Wilson/Dolberg

The original gimmick was Schar would be one of the few OG's I kept and he would be BPD in the middle of the 3 CB's with Inacio/Kalulu on WCB. Still had his part to play when we switched to 4 at the back though. Max was amazing, got 14 assists and 4 goals, the clubs player of the year award and 2nd in the leagues top signings behind CR7. Wilson ended up having a really strong second half of the season, ended up with 13 in the league mostly because he got 6 in his last two games including 4 against Burnley. Willock didn't get as much time as he'd like but there was a spell in the second half of the season where he was ridicioulous. Had like 5 goals in 3 games and another 3/4 assists on top. Loves scoring against Arsenal too.

The trouble with the transfers started when I got the NX Gen award thing. Signing a bunch of kids is probably not productive in a short term save but handing me a list of the top 50 talents whilst I have £150m+ to spend is a recipe for disaster. Long story short, squad depth isn't an issue anymore and we have Moukoko coming in in like 2023. Other headline signing was Max Aarons because Norwich got relegated.

The Xbox version on a whole I'm slowly coming around to. It's super alien when you first start it when you're so used to the PC version but I'm getting used to using the controller for it, plus I have a mouse plugged in that I'll use sometimes. There's just little things with the UI that don't make sense, like when you're changing tactics midgame there's no way to quickly confirm everything so I end up having to put the mouse pointer on everytime and go to click ok. The game in general seems to be focused much less on dynamics than the PC version, I think I spent most of the summer trying to sell Wilson but had no takers, took him off the list when the season started and it was as if nothing had happened. I'd still prefer to play on PC because I love building the club, getting all the staff in etc etc and that's very watered down here but it runs way quicker on the Series S than it does on my PC. Should looking into a new one...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kyle. said:

I finally started using facepacks for newgens and it's much more immersive having a realistic face for wonderkid Junior Salami.

Whilst I like them, I kind of find it odd seeing a middle-aged bloke being the face of a 16 year old. Wish there was a way SI could get on board with Zealand’s regen facepack and have the technology to gradually age them. 

On 15/11/2021 at 18:30, FLiam said:

Whilst I like them, I kind of find it odd seeing a middle-aged bloke being the face of a 16 year old. Wish there was a way SI could get on board with Zealand’s regen facepack and have the technology to gradually age them. 

image.png

You might have a point. This man had a tough paper round.

• Haha 1

No idea why, but I no longer can have my assistant/scout's star ratings show as one of the two little pop ups when you do the quick look at a player's profile, whether it's theirs or yours. Hate the new scouting 1 week v fully scouting change too. 

Just my quick minor gripes as I start playing this.

12 minutes ago, Gazz said:

So 8 games into my Newcastle save, we're top, but I have spent £313m already...

In my Sporting Lisbon save, they hired Ten Hag, signed no one, he got sacked before Christmas, Gattuso came in, spent 200 million, and finished 19th.

Arsenal won the league, United finished 8th and sacked both Ole and Conte during the season and ended up with Zidane.

I am into my 3rd season as Man Utd (I always have a United save going, for catharsis when we are doing shite in real life, so, FM22 has gotten a lot of play time.) Ronaldo has retired after 3 years, much like Cavani the year before so that he can retire on top. Well, he certainly bloody did that!

First season was a PL and CL double, second we won...nothing, and third we won everything. Ronaldo has basically been the Konami Code in my save, with ridiculous stats for his 3 seasons. Season 1, 42 appearances with 50 goals in all competitions, average rating of 7.97. Second season, bit of a dip, average rating of 7.54, 44 starts, 2 sub appearances, 42 goals overall. His final season, and honestly, I could barely believe what I was seeing at some points, with more than 1 match scoring 6 goals himself. 7.55 rating, 46 starts, 13 subs, 65 goals in all competitions.

Absolutely mental stuff from Ronaldo there. He has now retired to become an incredibly mediocre manager.

Edited by Ace-hole Rimmer
  • Like 2

Sure, it might get you a lot of clicks, but those will probably be from imbeciles. I'd rather have a quality viewership rather than a large viewership.

And whoever that guy is I hate him. I've seen that video on my Youtube homepage and I purposefully don't click on it. So he's losing out on ME as a result of his stupid face. Also the subject of the video looks boring.

1 hour ago, Naitch said:

Somehow it's a proven method for increasing clickthroughs to your videos, regardless of your genre.

I remember learning years ago that it's because people react more positively to seeing a human face.