Football Manager 2022

Lineker

On 02/12/2021 at 13:40, GWPea said:

Currently 100% record with Sunderland after 10 games. Only conceded 2 goals. Locked first transfer window so no upgrades. My goal is to win a major trophy before Newcastle.

Ended up with back to back promotions. Win and points records both years. And Newcastle finished 4 points above the relegation zone in the second season. So we go into the first year in the Premier League not really that far from them, so this could well happen.

Newcastle’s signings have been awful thus far.

Is it meant to be more difficult to sell/loan players out this year? I know they spoke about how that was a factor in FM21 because of Covid so I'm guessing that's still a thing here for the first few years?

I'm too used to 20 where you can follow the Chelsea model and bankroll yourself. I've been messing about with an RB Salzburg save and I can't seem to loan anyone out, even when I offer them with 0% wage contribution.

Once I was playing as Ballymoney Utd (Northern Irish 1st Division) on FM12 and was forced by my parent club, Coleraine, to loan them my star left winger for a season. I can't remember exactly what the game said but I certainly didn't have the option to prevent it.

I'm in my second season with Everton. Man City have a strike partnership of Haaland and Mbappe. I have similar strength with Arthur Cabral, Salomon Rondon and Tyler Roberts. <_<

Aaaaaand of course I draw them in the cup immediately after making this post. Ha ha ha I'm in danger.

• Haha 1

Thought I'd post about my current FM save. Started off with no badges but previously a professional footballer at national level.

Season 1 (2021/2022)
Game began unemployed and the first offer I got after applying for a bunch of jobs was with Curzon Ashton who were predicted 21st out of 22 teams in the Vanarama North. Managed to get them to finish 3rd (Fylde were too good. Finished 12 points ahead of me) so ended up in the playoffs but unfortunately I lost in the semis to Hereford. I got a youngster named Bobby Carroll in who Everton had released and he was a machine as a box to box/ball winning midfielder. 

Season 2 (2022/2023)
Let my contract run down and saw that the Clyde job was available. Clyde had been relegated from the Scottish League One and so I thought it'd be a step up somewhat and a chance to try and bounce back and push for a title to get under my bet. I had so much fun with Clyde in the first season as they had lost quite a few players and so I could come in an build a squad from fresh essentially using free transfers. So I brought Bobby Carroll with me and a few others from the Vanarama North who's contracts had expired (Looked at players who excelled in the season stats) and built a really strong side to the extent that we won the title. We also had an amazing run in the Scottish Cup by getting to the semi final (unfortuntaely Hibs beat us but it was only by one goal) but we managed to basically beat teams who were in higher divisions including beating Ross County. 

Season 3 (2023/2024)
So this is where I make an interesting choice career wise. Get to the back end of November and Clyde had won 10, drew 3 and lost 1. Sitting top of the league with a smallish gap above 2nd and I saw that the SM Caen job was available. Applied for it and got the job so left Clyde who were top of League One in Scotland for SC Caen who were 18th in Ligue 2 and had lost 10, won 2 and drew 3. Some might say bit of a mad decision to make but since I've taken over they've won 10, drew 3 and lost 4 which I'm quite happy about as I'm having to contend with constantly having poor or lower managerial support due to my reputation being quite low in relation to the players. Currently we are 9th in which there is only 5 points seperating 8th from 14th. 

Edit: Finished 10th but finished the season 13 unbeaten. Drew the last two games which probably cost me 8th and 9th place. Last game basically everyone was already on holiday from how it played out. 

Undecided whether to apply for any jobs in the post season or to stick it out. I've not done more than a season and a third with a team but if something interesting crops up then I'll probably chance applying. 

• Like 3

Fun little tidbit from my Hertha Berlin game: I loaned striker Myziane Maolida to Freiburg for the 22/23 season, and he scored 23 in 33 en route to taking them to 5th. I used that to sell him for €32 million to Leipzig since it was a great offer for my 4th choice ST in summer 23. He made 1 sub appearance in 6 months for them, and then Leipzig offered him back to me in a player exchange in January 24 for Magnus Kofod, a back up CM not getting much playing time at all, who I previously signed on a free.

Leipzig paid me €32m essentially to loan a player of mine for six months!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kyle. said:

image.png

An interesting appointment as Russia manager following Valery Karpin getting them relegated from the Nations League.

I had David Moyes leave West Ham to manage Poland just recently in my Hertha Berlin save. I think he took over for them before the 22 World Cup (they didn't qualify) and was then sacked less than a year later after only winning one match in I believe the Nations League. It was all incredibly bizarre.

I also love that high spending Newcastle were relegated in the 22/23 season. I can't remember who all they had on their roster, but it was definitely A LOT. Isak, Bailey, Tapsoba, Cavani on a loan + obligated buy, Jose Campana, Ross Barkley, Callum Wilson, ASM. I'm pretty sure I'm missing a few others as well. I know they sold the first three in summer 23 and now Campana in January 24. I just saw this morning here in early March 2024 they're 4th in the Championship and just sacked their manager for it after winless in 5 streak. 

My favorite Newcastle tidbit might be that even in the Championship, Ross Barkley was utter trash. Only a squad player & an avg rating in the 6.6s. 

Newcastle fans better hope this isn't a sign of things to come!

On 21/12/2021 at 10:55, FLiam said:

Still not managed to get into a save this year. Now I'm trying the DrBenjy glory hunter challenge. 

Starting out with AS Roma. Will see how this goes.

Ok so this did not last.

I finally started again but I created Thierry Henry as my manager and started unemployed with the idea of this save being the Glory Hunter challenge. Took a good few months to land a job but I ended up taking over AC Milan who were hovering in 6th - 7th after 15 games if I recall.

Approaching the end of the season and I’m top of the league by just a few points and in the semi-final of the Europa League so I could grab two trophies within the first season. Italian Cup we lost in the quarters so I’ll more than likely stay on another season even if we win the league.

Will probably type out another rambling update once I’ve finished the season.

On 09/12/2021 at 09:17, DFF said:

Played a season as Newcastle on the Xbox version. Finished a respectable 9th after hovering near the relegation zone for the first half of the season. Went on a nice 7 game winning streak, and finished with something like 11 wins in 14. 

I raided my beloved Sheff Utd for some of their better players, as well as grabbing some prem players. I play a 4-1-2-3 Gegenpress with Positive mentalilty.

GK: Dubravka

DL: Dummett

DC: Lascelles

DC: Egan

DR: Lamptey

CM: Berge 

AM: Almiron

AM: Loftus-Cheek

F9: Saint-Maximin

AF: Wilson

DF: Adams 

--

Che Adams is pretty good in the DF role, and Wilson is a beast in about 3/4 of games. He finished as the league's top goal scorer with 28. 

Next transfer window I'll likely focus on further strengthening at the back. 

Am a few seasons further along now. Steadily improving each year. Just qualified for the Champs League after changing my formation to try and let in less. 

I now play 5-2-2-1. 

GK: Bazunu

WBL: Caio Henrique

DCL: Colwill

DC: Gibson

DCR: Papetti (one of my best ever FM signings)

MCL: Berge

MCR: Van Der Beek

AMCL: Karabec

AMCR: Mac Allister

AF: Mariano. 

I've just got to Christmas and managed to squeeze through a Champs Lge group in 2nd behind Monaco, pipping Roma. Fenerbahce were the whipping boys of the group. 

• Like 1

I'm not saying my coaching staff is full of Dutch strikers, but Ruud Van Nistelrooy is my assistant manager and I've just offered Dennis Bergkamp a coaching role. Patrick Kluivert is waiting for the phone to ring any minute.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kyle. said:

I'm not saying my coaching staff is full of Dutch strikers, but Ruud Van Nistelrooy is my assistant manager and I've just offered Dennis Bergkamp a coaching role. Patrick Kluivert is waiting for the phone to ring any minute.

Van Persie, Kuyt and Makaay just sat crying in a corner together